GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
When I had my vr6 I found a write up on vortex on how to change camshafts, so what did I do? I ordered camshafts and drove it to my friends house so we could work on it. Neither of us had done anything like that. The most involved thing I had done by this point was coilovers, and even that took way longer than it should have. It was 15 hours of misery and I couldn't have been more thankful that the car started on the first attempt. It was 5am by the time we had everything put back together and I couldn't believe we did it right. I don't know what I would have done if the timing was off...I used to be up for anything. Now I barely do my own oil changes.

I had to change out the water pump and aux water pump on my Corrado VR6. What a pain in the ass.

Last edited:

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
Geez, i wonder how long my suspension refresh will take. It’s my first time tackling it and I just spent 40 minutes installing h&r oe sport spring into my bilstein strut. Now need to do the other.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
I don't think you have much to worry about. As long as the advertising here is a full-screen, browser-redirect, overbearing mess, we aren't going to be seeing much organic growth. Your average person does not have adblocker on their phone.
What's worse is that the adblocker I use on my computer is the same one I use on my phone, but somehow it does NOTHING on the phone. Ads everywhere.

My dad was a master body mechanic, race driver, hot rod builder, customizer and general genius around cars. He owned a shop, which is where I did a lot of my growing up. I'm a carpenter by trade, but honestly a competent mechanic. I've been inside engines, transmissions, transfer cases, shocks, brakes, blah blah.

I fucking HATE turning wrenches on cars, and on bikes almost as much. HATE it. The majority of my mechanic's tools were accumulated at a time when I couldn't afford to pay someone else to work on my old rusty pieces of shit. With the exception of a hoist (and a welder, because welding is sorcery), I'm fully equipped to do any mod, maintenance or repair on my car. Am I going to?

Fuck no. I'd help somebody else on their car though, because I'm that kind of stupid.

I am going to bob my little Suzuki chopper this winter, but I'll be damned if I'm going to enjoy it.

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
What's worse is that the adblocker I use on my computer is the same one I use on my phone, but somehow it does NOTHING on the phone. Ads everywhere.

AdGuard works great on non-rooted Android devices.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
I installed a Dr. Heater in my garage so I could work in there in the colder months. Thing is a godsend.

I have a similar thing, except it's portable. 220V 4500 watt, dedicated circuit to a proper receptacle. In my two stall insulated garage, it takes about 20 minutes to get a 20 degree rise. After 45 minutes, it's t-shirt time.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Just ordered an Accessport w/ stage 1 tune from EQT. Super stoked.

Not looking forward to ripping out the JB4 when it comes, though.
I drank the koolaid, and have absolutely zero regrets. I've got slip on the OTS 91 tune, so SB Stage 3 daily kit is going in this winter. You won't be disappointed, the tune is so smooth and makes so much power. I'm sure it helps that you can resell your JB4 as well.

draftgli

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I drank the koolaid, and have absolutely zero regrets. I've got slip on the OTS 91 tune, so SB Stage 3 daily kit is going in this winter. You won't be disappointed, the tune is so smooth and makes so much power. I'm sure it helps that you can resell your JB4 as well.

Thanks man, this really helps me swallow the damage to the wallet at Christmas time. 🤣

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Wait till my wife finds out I spent more on the car than on her. 😳🤣
See, you need to spin it as a present for the both of you -- you spent a couple bucks on the car so that it's more engaging, so that you both can enjoy the drive out to a nice dinner date and a movie -- which by the way, the new 007 movie is a good one. My wife and I very much enjoyed it, she also enjoyed the improved performance from the GTI haha.

Besides, it was a sale you couldn't afford to pass up, so really you SAVED money so you could give her a better gift. You're so selfless, you waited until a sale came along so that you'd have more available funds to spend on spoiling her. Don't let her think about what you spent on the car, make it about all the places the car is going to take you two for date nights and vacations and whatnot.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
See, you need to spin it as a present for the both of you -- you spent a couple bucks on the car so that it's more engaging, so that you both can enjoy the drive out to a nice dinner date and a movie -- which by the way, the new 007 movie is a good one. My wife and I very much enjoyed it, she also enjoyed the improved performance from the GTI haha.

Besides, it was a sale you couldn't afford to pass up, so really you SAVED money so you could give her a better gift. You're so selfless, you waited until a sale came along so that you'd have more available funds to spend on spoiling her. Don't let her think about what you spent on the car, make it about all the places the car is going to take you two for date nights and vacations and whatnot.

I have 30 years experience doing this. It never works, they can see right through it. Lol

I still keep trying though.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I have 30 years experience doing this. It never works, they can see right through it. Lol

I still keep trying though.
Congrats, here's to 30+ more! I'm helped by the fact that my wife also races, she just took first in our region in HS with her Mazda3 and very well understands that mods cost money, but are worth every penny.