GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
650 is very reasonable!

I paid a vw dealer tech to do mine on the side (at the dealer still, just his day off) and I paid 500 for the labor including him installing a front sway bar and doing an alignment and sensor calibration… 6 months later when I destroyed that clutch he charged me the same to do the job again 😂😂, and 5 months after that when the DKM TOB decided to goes and cover my clutch with fluid - I figured it was time to save a little and do it myself ( its a highly unpleasant single man diy )

I'm debating whether to pay someone or do it myself. Did you use a youtube guide to do it?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I'm debating whether to pay someone or do it myself. Did you use a youtube guide to do it?
First time I did (when I dropped the trans to inspect the dkm and open the actual transmission to check for bent forks, cause I was having real issues with getting into gear) I used the FCP guide - it’s really good - second time when I put in the ringer clutch I used memory 😂. Both times where with the car on the quick jack too. Sucked lots both times.

My opinion - if you have a shop that you are comfortable with and they give a reasonable price, 100% pay someone

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
I’ve done everything from rebuilding engines and transmissions to bolting on parts but now that I’m older with more responsibilities I’ve left some of the tougher things to a professional. Did my downpipe, intake and fmic myself but everything else besides maintenance was done at Corr Motorsports.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
First time I did (when I dropped the trans to inspect the dkm and open the actual transmission to check for bent forks, cause I was having real issues with getting into gear) I used the FCP guide - it’s really good - second time when I put in the ringer clutch I used memory 😂. Both times where with the car on the quick jack too. Sucked lots both times.

My opinion - if you have a shop that you are comfortable with and they give a reasonable price, 100% pay someone

I have access to a lift at the base hobby shop. I might try to tackle it with a buddy that done it.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I’ve done everything from rebuilding engines and transmissions to bolting on parts but now that I’m older with more responsibilities I’ve left some of the tougher things to a professional. Did my downpipe, intake and fmic myself but everything else besides maintenance was done at Corr Motorsports.
Yeah, this is where I'm winding up. I'm 31 and decently established, so while I have a decently equipped garage the cold weather and relative new-ness of the car make me a little gunshy on the larger jobs. With that said, I've been doing pretty much all the other work on the car myself. If it were warmer outside I'd probably give more weight to the DIY option, but <$700 to not have to lay on the cold concrete for 8+ hours arguing with a car that I can't afford to simply manhandle into compliance is a pretty good deal.

I've been told by other trusted mechanics that if you can do a mk4 clutch job, you can do the mk7 just as easily. I just don't have the appetite for it with the weather being as cold as it is.

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
Fill the trunk with last dose of apples and brought it to local distillery...liquor is loading 🥃

apples.jpg

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Yeah, this is where I'm winding up. I'm 31 and decently established, so while I have a decently equipped garage the cold weather and relative new-ness of the car make me a little gunshy on the larger jobs. With that said, I've been doing pretty much all the other work on the car myself. If it were warmer outside I'd probably give more weight to the DIY option, but <$700 to not have to lay on the cold concrete for 8+ hours arguing with a car that I can't afford to simply manhandle into compliance is a pretty good deal.

I've been told by other trusted mechanics that if you can do a mk4 clutch job, you can do the mk7 just as easily. I just don't have the appetite for it with the weather being as cold as it is.
When I was younger my father was a mechanic and I always had access to a lift and his tool box with everything I would ever need. Now I’m lucky enough to have a best friend who runs a 4x4 shop with anything you could ever want. Hard part now is scheduling, he has 2 kids and I work an unconventional schedule. Doing maintenance and light stuff we know we can get done in an afternoon isn’t bad but when my motor went I went to the experts.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I installed a Dr. Heater in my garage so I could work in there in the colder months. Thing is a godsend.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
It's not that bad. I learned everything I know from youtube and did it on jackstands in my garage with a friend to help wrench.

When a buddy approached me about changing his clutch in my garage on jackstands, it was the first job I veto'd. We're both the same, just learning from YouTube and colleting tools, but that job looked to be above what we could tackle. I think he ended up paying $600 to a local place for it to be done.

Luckily, installing a DSG tune is nowhere near as complicated as installing a new clutch :ROFLMAO:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
When a buddy approached me about changing his clutch in my garage on jackstands, it was the first job I veto'd. We're both the same, just learning from YouTube and colleting tools, but that job looked to be above what we could tackle. I think he ended up paying $600 to a local place for it to be done.

Luckily, installing a DSG tune is nowhere near as complicated as installing a new clutch :ROFLMAO:
When I had my vr6 I found a write up on vortex on how to change camshafts, so what did I do? I ordered camshafts and drove it to my friends house so we could work on it. Neither of us had done anything like that. The most involved thing I had done by this point was coilovers, and even that took way longer than it should have. It was 15 hours of misery and I couldn't have been more thankful that the car started on the first attempt. It was 5am by the time we had everything put back together and I couldn't believe we did it right. I don't know what I would have done if the timing was off...I used to be up for anything. Now I barely do my own oil changes.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
When I had my vr6 I found a write up on vortex on how to change camshafts, so what did I do? I ordered camshafts and drove it to my friends house so we could work on it. Neither of us had done anything like that. The most involved thing I had done by this point was coilovers, and even that took way longer than it should have. It was 15 hours of misery and I couldn't have been more thankful that the car started on the first attempt. It was 5am by the time we had everything put back together and I couldn't believe we did it right. I don't know what I would have done if the timing was off...I used to be up for anything. Now I barely do my own oil changes.

Nope, would never.

I'm usually pretty good with anything that doesn't involve opening up the engine or transmission. Watched some IC install videos, and was planning on that before I just went FMIC bi-cooler. Watched the turbo swapped videos, and did the Vortex. Suspension, fuel pumps, etc... And for the most part, I enjoy it. I like being in the garage working on my car. Every project has that period of frustration where something throws a wrench in your plans, but overall I don't mind it. And working on my MK7 is a hell of a lot easier than working on my buddies MK6 :ROFLMAO:

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32

$600 isn't bad actually. Doing it myself was rewarding and fun, but took a full 8-10 hours of my time. I can understand paying the money just for the peace of mind that nothing will go wrong.

I'm currently debating if I can do timing chains on my R32 by myself or not. The clutch in the GTI was easier than I expected, but the VR6 is another story....