GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Not wasted, you're definitely better at it than you started, right? Buy some more and try again, still cheaper than paying someone else to do a job you might not be happy with. I think I was quoted $200 to do the taillights on my Mazda3 in 3M vinyl.

Are you doing them with the tail lights off of the car, or on it?
True. Yea $200 was the quote. Doing it with them on the car. IMO that’s the easiest way since the car holds them in place so you can use both your hands for stretching, squeegeeing, heating, etc. I almost had it on my last try. Maybe worth another $40 to try again 🤷‍♂️

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
True. Yea $200 was the quote. Doing it with them on the car. IMO that’s the easiest way since the car holds them in place so you can use both your hands for stretching, squeegeeing, heating, etc. I almost had it on my last try. Maybe worth another $40 to try again 🤷‍♂️
I’ve tinted a few items with the cheaper diy sheets, and then one time got a deal on some lamin-x pre cut products…let me tell you after that I order full kits of the smoked and clear protector covers from them 🤣. Having it precut helps a lot as you dont need to try and stretch and work the material and their Material is way nicer and thicker and holds up from fading better.

https://lamin-x.com/vw-gti-18-tail-light-covers.html

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
My daughter money shifted my car.

But the car was off, so no damage.
Just teaching her how to drive and starting with shifting with the car off of course.

I'm just excited that she's only 13, but really wants to learn how to drive manual.

😂

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
I’ve tinted a few items with the cheaper diy sheets, and then one time got a deal on some lamin-x pre cut products…let me tell you after that I order full kits of the smoked and clear protector covers from them 🤣. Having it precut helps a lot as you dont need to try and stretch and work the material and their Material is way nicer and thicker and holds up from fading better.

https://lamin-x.com/vw-gti-18-tail-light-covers.html
I've been toying with this idea, but I still have another roll of the vivvid hex smoke tint for my tails. Looking at attempt #3 to get it right. Thought I nailed it, then the next day proved I pulled too tight.

cbenjes

Go Kart Newbie
Upgraded to APR Stage 1 High Torque and a SouthBend clutch upgrade. Nice to have the full power back. Since April I have replaced the spark plugs, air filter, cabin filter, carbon clean, moved from low to high Torque APR Stage 1, new pads and rotors all around and over the weekend, flushed the brake fluid. Clayed, polished, sealed and waxed the exterior. This weekend is a drain and refill of the manual transmission fluid with Redline MTL. After that, I think I am done until spring, well maybe an oil change around Christmas before it gets too cold. 95,000+ miles, it runs and looks like new. Best car I have ever owned.

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Cleaned and organized the garage to prepare for the Vortex install this weekend.

This evening, I'll probably start taking off the easy stuff. Intake, downpipe, coils, etc... Drain some coolant and remove that hard line. Have some stuff to do in the AM tomorrow, then early afternoon should be able to jump right in to the turbo itself. Goal is by the end of the day tomorrow is to have the Vortex on. Will be away all day Sunday, then have Monday off and can button anything up that may still need to be done.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Cleaned and organized the garage to prepare for the Vortex install this weekend.

This evening, I'll probably start taking off the easy stuff. Intake, downpipe, coils, etc... Drain some coolant and remove that hard line. Have some stuff to do in the AM tomorrow, then early afternoon should be able to jump right in to the turbo itself. Goal is by the end of the day tomorrow is to have the Vortex on. Will be away all day Sunday, then have Monday off and can button anything up that may still need to be done.
Best of luck to you. Do you have your initial tune ready to go?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Best of luck to you. Do you have your initial tune ready to go?

Thanks.

And technically, no. But I should by the time the job is done. Like I mentioned in another thread, giving Sneeky a shot while waiting on EQT. He reached out to me last night, and collected all the necessary info. From there, said it should be 1 - 2 business days. So should have it by Monday at the latest, which is fine. If I finish on Saturday and don't have the file till Monday, it can just sit in the garage for those two days. I'll be gone all day Sunday, and wasn't going to christen my new turbo with a 400 mile round trip less than 24 hours after putting it on anyway.

I'm busy all the following weekend since it's Halloween weekend, and didn't want to wait another two weeks until the weekend after that to get it on. The reason I didn't wait for the boost weather sale is because I'm impatient, goddamn it!

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Pull an all-nighter.

Shouldn't even need that, hopefully. Giving myself 6 - 7 hours on a Saturday afternoon should be more than enough time, especially since I'll already have most of the stuff from the top taken off.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Whelp, it's always something.

The good news is, I'm on track where I wanted to be. Intake is out, downpipe is out (I know not fully necessary, but easy enough to do), coil harness disconnected, and drained the coolant, and the hard coolant line is out.

1634942819558.png

The Eh... news is, it looks like I scraped somewhere, probably on a speedbump. Knicked my oil pan plug, and it's very slowly seeping out. And some scrapes on the subframe. Not really too big a deal, just means I'll have to do an oil change too while I'm in here.

1634942919612.png

1634942997040.png

The "man, what the fuck..." news is I'm pretty sure my water pump\thermostat is leaking. It was changed 35K miles ago or so before I got the car, but looks like it might need to be done again.

1634943023666.png

1634943041700.png

1634943067167.png

I don't think it's leaking at an alarming rate, my coolant really hasn't been going down. But going to clean it up and keep an eye on it.

I might go back in tonight and get the heat shield off, we'll see. If not, I'll jump right in tomorrow.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Whelp, it's always something.

The good news is, I'm on track where I wanted to be. Intake is out, downpipe is out (I know not fully necessary, but easy enough to do), coil harness disconnected, and drained the coolant, and the hard coolant line is out.

View attachment 228660

The Eh... news is, it looks like I scraped somewhere, probably on a speedbump. Knicked my oil pan plug, and it's very slowly seeping out. And some scrapes on the subframe. Not really too big a deal, just means I'll have to do an oil change too while I'm in here.

View attachment 228661

View attachment 228662

The "man, what the fuck..." news is I'm pretty sure my water pump\thermostat is leaking. It was changed 35K miles ago or so before I got the car, but looks like it might need to be done again.

View attachment 228663

View attachment 228664

View attachment 228665

I don't think it's leaking at an alarming rate, my coolant really hasn't been going down. But going to clean it up and keep an eye on it.

I might go back in tonight and get the heat shield off, we'll see. If not, I'll jump right in tomorrow.

Coolant leaks in the mk7 are feature. If you don't have leaking coolant, it means the car doesn't have any. Thanks VW.