GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
2018 was the first year of the turbo S4 (B9) plenty reliable as a car. Still wouldnt bother, the ZF8 implementation in those cars is trash. (speaking from experience)

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Continued with setup of the Audio Control D-4.800. Right now the speakers/channels are 1 for 1. Eventual plan is to run separate components off of the 4 channel output from the D-4.800, with the rear speakers powered from the stock unit. I'll then keep the fader all the way up front.

Found a few things that were interesting (using the input RTA of the D-4.800)
- Stock output to the rear is lower at any given volume... kind of expected)
- Full range signal to all speakers with no roll off at higher volumes
- The Maximum Input Level Control (Mil-C) light shows the front speaker output as always clipping, at every volume
- I'm not sure what's going on here, although Audio Control does say a "dedicated distortion tool" may show something different 🤷‍♂️
- The rear speaker output does not light up the Mil-C light at all, even at max volume

My channels are setup as follows: 1/2 = FL/FR, 3/4 = RL/RR, line out to my sub amp
1/2 - high passed at 90Hz
3/4 - band passed 90 - 300Hz
Line Out - low passed at 90

Everything on 24dB/Octave slope for now. Relieving the door speakers of anything low lets them play everything else really well. I'm going to disconnect the stock tweeters tonight probably, as I have Infinity Coaxes in the front doors. Haven't cranked up the volume as the infinity's can take more power than the stock tweets. But I'm really liking it right now, so much so that I'm rethinking replacing any speakers at all. I'll keep playing around with the EQ, maybe try get something approaching flat at my listening position at some point, and go from there.

AudioControl software was a pain to get installed/working. It's really wonky with the drivers, requiring the DSP to be connected first, then asking to reinstall the drivers once you start the program the first time. I had no RTA at that point. So I restarted the laptop, the DSP and reinstalled the drivers a third time, then everything worked. It continued to work through subsequent power cycles so I think it's all good now.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Continued with setup of the Audio Control D-4.800. Right now the speakers/channels are 1 for 1. Eventual plan is to run separate components off of the 4 channel output from the D-4.800, with the rear speakers powered from the stock unit. I'll then keep the fader all the way up front.

Found a few things that were interesting (using the input RTA of the D-4.800)
- Stock output to the rear is lower at any given volume... kind of expected)
- Full range signal to all speakers with no roll off at higher volumes
- The Maximum Input Level Control (Mil-C) light shows the front speaker output as always clipping, at every volume
- I'm not sure what's going on here, although Audio Control does say a "dedicated distortion tool" may show something different 🤷‍♂️
- The rear speaker output does not light up the Mil-C light at all, even at max volume

My channels are setup as follows: 1/2 = FL/FR, 3/4 = RL/RR, line out to my sub amp
1/2 - high passed at 90Hz
3/4 - band passed 90 - 300Hz
Line Out - low passed at 90

Everything on 24dB/Octave slope for now. Relieving the door speakers of anything low lets them play everything else really well. I'm going to disconnect the stock tweeters tonight probably, as I have Infinity Coaxes in the front doors. Haven't cranked up the volume as the infinity's can take more power than the stock tweets. But I'm really liking it right now, so much so that I'm rethinking replacing any speakers at all. I'll keep playing around with the EQ, maybe try get something approaching flat at my listening position at some point, and go from there.

AudioControl software was a pain to get installed/working. It's really wonky with the drivers, requiring the DSP to be connected first, then asking to reinstall the drivers once you start the program the first time. I had no RTA at that point. So I restarted the laptop, the DSP and reinstalled the drivers a third time, then everything worked. It continued to work through subsequent power cycles so I think it's all good now.
So when you turn on your stereo it blows woman’s clothes off? 🤔

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Blows off women's clothes? I assume there's a joke there somewhere but it has sailed right over my head.

I've never had the volume even half way to max in the car. Turning it all the way up to set the input gains, even with the outputs disconnected, had the hair on the back of my neck standing up.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

Blows off women's clothes? I assume there's a joke there somewhere but it has sailed right over my head.

I've never had the volume even half way to max in the car. Turning it all the way up to set the input gains, even with the outputs disconnected, had the hair on the back of my neck standing up.
It’s from The Italian Job movie

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Nothing for now. I’m planning on saving up for a 2023 Civic Type R when it’s released.

I don’t need a car right now so it made sense to let it go. Plus I was kind of bored of it.

Yeah I’ve been feeling this itch with my Alltrack, too. I can get away with one car between the gf and I, save a ton between insurance and payments, pocket the cash from the stupid market rn, pay off debts, and buy a Touareg TDI in April after tax return + bonus. If I can sell the thing, which I have not put too much effort into. My main issue is the 3K negative equity I had on previous Trade in and taking the 6 months no payments deal, so not much paid down on principal.

and after first buyer backed out, I kinda fell back in love with the car lol. If it doesn’t sell, I’m throwing the forge lift + Alltrack B6 on in April.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
A23FA4F1-9387-4C9B-AFE7-1E68BE51335D.jpeg
09CE524B-36BF-4003-B196-D3D7BAEA8A13.jpeg
CDC9254D-6AF6-475F-9038-C6E462DB40D8.jpeg
3FA5F1B2-2B65-4DB3-A731-8B2B87220EA1.jpeg

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Tried and failed at wrapping my taillights with smoke vinyl. Even with a heat gun I couldn’t get it formed to the shape and angles well enough. I might have gotten there if I had another $25 of product to waste on practicing. Womp womp. What’s a little money in the trash? 😭

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Tried and failed at wrapping my taillights with smoke vinyl. Even with a heat gun I couldn’t get it formed to the shape and angles well enough. I might have gotten there if I had another $25 of product to waste on practicing. Womp womp. What’s a little money in the trash? 😭
Not wasted, you're definitely better at it than you started, right? Buy some more and try again, still cheaper than paying someone else to do a job you might not be happy with. I think I was quoted $200 to do the taillights on my Mazda3 in 3M vinyl.

Are you doing them with the tail lights off of the car, or on it?