GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Most people don't drive their car hard enough to notice an improvement over the stock rear sway. For people that autocross, track, yes - for most: save your cash and go big turbo, that's the real difference you'll feel.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
For sure. When I was on the 93 tune I noticed (and logged) timing pull really often when it was ~90F. And now that I'm currently on a stock tune, I still notice it sometimes. Luckily I can pop in a bottle of octane booster if it's reallllly hot and that band-aids it.
Octane booster will help in that scenario but you still need the IC to help prevent heat soak which will cut your timing regardless of how much octane booster you use.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Most people don't drive their car hard enough to notice an improvement over the stock rear sway. For people that autocross, track, yes - for most: save your cash and go big turbo, that's the real difference you'll feel.

I own both an 18 S non-PP and 19 PP. You are correct if talking about a PP. The non-PP understeered like crazy on the street even at 6/10ths pace. First time I went around a traffic circle, almost understeered into a curb in the 18 S. I have a video of an autocross run the first weekend I bought it, stock, it was some of the worst understeer I've ever encountered.

Last weekend I drove an AB with DCC on RT660's at our local autocross. Car was perfect stock.

Not all GTIs trims are exactly the same handling, even from the factory. non-PP, non-DCC 100% need a RSB, even on the street.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I own both an 18 S non-PP and 19 PP. You are correct if talking about a PP. The non-PP understeered like crazy on the street even at 6/10ths pace. First time I went around a traffic circle, almost understeered into a curb in the 18 S. I have a video of an autocross run the first weekend I bought it, stock, it was some of the worst understeer I've ever encountered.

Last weekend I drove an AB with DCC on RT660's at our local autocross. Car was perfect stock.

Not all GTIs trims are exactly the same handling, even from the factory. non-PP, non-DCC 100% need a RSB, even on the street.
I can imagine the non-PP understeering a lot when you're trying to accelerate since there's no LSD. But other than that, I don't see why a non-PP would understeer more than a PP, all other things being equal. I've found my base GTI handles pretty flat and is competitive with the 3rd gen Mazda 3 that I recently sold, which was an excellent handler.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Drove the GLI, washed the Gti, and was disappointed by OBDELEVEN.
D8C85920-5572-4859-8A2F-98A404A47C84.jpeg
44BF2BC1-DAD9-4195-A67E-A4E89811173D.jpeg
D11EE2CC-8B74-48DB-9A54-66706A321600.png

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
I can imagine the non-PP understeering a lot when you're trying to accelerate since there's no LSD. But other than that, I don't see why a non-PP would understeer more than a PP, all other things being equal. I've found my base GTI handles pretty flat and is competitive with the 3rd gen Mazda 3 that I recently sold, which was an excellent handler.
Performance pack has a bigger rear sway.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I thought that was only on models equipped with the DCC package? Regular PP has a few more hp, bigger brakes, and the LSD. I've never heard that the sway was included.
I have an 18 SE PP with LSD and it understeered quite bad until I added a RSB. I think you're right the RSB between the PP and no PP is the same. And if the PP does come with a bigger RSB it still isn't big enough to prevent understeer.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

All I can say is that I've autocrossed non-PP, PP, and PP DCC, all on 200tw tires. The understeer decreases with trim level.

I noticed significant understeer with my non-PP. Alignment can reduce that, by zeroing out rear toe some.

Grip level of the tire and surface also affect handling balance. The more grip, the tighter the car gets.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
All I can say is that I've autocrossed non-PP, PP, and PP DCC, all on 200tw tires. The understeer decreases with trim level.

I noticed significant understeer with my non-PP. Alignment can reduce that, by zeroing out rear toe some.
I wonder if there was a bad alignment on the non-pp one you drove. I just don't see how it could understeer so significantly more than the pp model (non DCC) if everything else was the same. So far, I haven't found my non-pp model to understeer that bad, and even some late braking brings the back end out a bit pretty effortlessly.