GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
You and @Acadia18 asked me to let you know what I think about the ECS coilovers I got. Now that I've driven it over 500 miles is there anything specific you want to know?

I had them set to the highest setting which is 1" lower than stock and set the 32 way adjustable dampers in the middle. You wouldn't think that 1" lower would be significant but probably the first 20 or so times I got out of the car my foot would smash into the ground because getting in and out of my car literally thousands of times you instinctively know where the ground is. 😂

I'm very impressed with them especially considering the cost. Along with the suspension bracing I've done the car is far more capable in handling than my skill level. Before the coilovers I knew the limits of the car and now it exceeds my capability when driving on regular streets and curves. If I was on a track I could explore the limit without worrying about spinning out.

If I hit a sharp bump it is pretty harsh and I'm thinking about softening the damper setting. Overall the car is a joy to drive and I don't regret getting them.
Do you have control over the rear shocks too?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Any reason I can't just drill a hole and use extenders on the rear? You could plug the holes with rubber plugs to keep noise out. Touch up paint or primer to prevent rust?

I know most people won't drill a hole in their car, but it doesn't bother me at all.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Any reason I can't just drill a hole and use extenders on the rear? You could plug the holes with rubber plugs to keep noise out. Touch up paint or primer to prevent rust?

I know most people won't drill a hole in their car, but it doesn't bother me at all.
They don’t have adjusters like that they are on the shaft below the top mount.

with the rears I can air the car all the way up and get my GF to rear her arm in there and turn them lol.

for a coil over car like he would have to jack up the car to get the suspension to droop then there should be room.

that the nice part with some kits like EQTs, the rears have the adjustments on the bottom so you can just reach behind the wheel and adjust it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
How drastic is the difference between turning the knob all the way to the left and then to the right?
I don't know yet and won't find out because I wouldn't want it any stiffer then it is now. If anything I'll adjust softer. I'll probably go full soft and then stiffen from there.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I don't know yet and won't find out because I wouldn't want it any stiffer then it is now. If anything I'll adjust softer. I'll probably go full soft and then stiffen from there.
That’s wise. I don’t understand why modern coil overs have so many settings. Back then it was like 5-10 in the front 3-6 in the rear. Made it easier to dial it in

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That’s wise. I don’t understand why modern coil overs have so many settings. Back then it was like 5-10 in the front 3-6 in the rear. Made it easier to dial it in
I agree. 32 adjustments is overkill. I can't imagine there's much of a difference from setting 15 and setting 10.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I agree. 32 adjustments is overkill. I can't imagine there's much of a difference from setting 15 and setting 10.
Mine are “30 way” and I can tell you going from 15, I adjust in with just 2 clicks towards Stiffer and you can even notice that

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
You and @Acadia18 asked me to let you know what I think about the ECS coilovers I got. Now that I've driven it over 500 miles is there anything specific you want to know?

I had them set to the highest setting which is 1" lower than stock and set the 32 way adjustable dampers in the middle. You wouldn't think that 1" lower would be significant but probably the first 20 or so times I got out of the car my foot would smash into the ground because getting in and out of my car literally thousands of times you instinctively know where the ground is. 😂

I'm very impressed with them especially considering the cost. Along with the suspension bracing I've done the car is far more capable in handling than my skill level. Before the coilovers I knew the limits of the car and now it exceeds my capability when driving on regular streets and curves. If I was on a track I could explore the limit without worrying about spinning out.

If I hit a sharp bump it is pretty harsh and I'm thinking about softening the damper setting. Overall the car is a joy to drive and I don't regret getting them.

I might give them a whirl. I've been considering a set of adjustable dampening coil overs, because why not. And since I don't track my car, something like the EQT coil overs are probably a bit overkill. Wonder how long they'll hold up.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I might give them a whirl. I've been considering a set of adjustable dampening coil overs, because why not. And since I don't track my car, something like the EQT coil overs are probably a bit overkill. Wonder how long they'll hold up.
Are they rebuildable? I like the koni shocks. Their FSD tech is impressive and the extra oil paths make for some seriously comfortable shocks. Bilstein b8’s with good springs are my next favorite.

as far as coil overs, the good stuff is always expensive as hell and just financially prohibited. For me at least

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm wondering the same thing. 🤞