GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
That’s insane. I never trust shops anymore. I had a shop once over torque my lugs after a wheel balance. Went to go put on my winters a few months later and ended up breaking the special lock key because they were too tight. Took it to VW to see if they could get it off. They broke two of their keys and still couldn’t get it off. Took it to a different shop and they had to drill it out. After that, anytime I take my car to a shop and they take the wheels off, I always loosen then re-torque to spec when I get home.
I had almost the identical thing happen to me with my Mk4. That is what prompted me to do my own wheels swaps to begin with. Guess I now have to add double checking the torque if someone else does work on my wheels...

I did put this Badgeskins on right before the fateful drive. Wonder if the rabbit is cursed, haha
16187636930523.jpg

PS, thanks everyonefor your concern. You guys are awesome and what makes this community great :) Cheers.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I had almost the identical thing happen to me with my Mk4. That is what prompted me to do my own wheels swaps to begin with. Guess I now have to add double checking the torque if someone else does work on my wheels...

I did put this Badgeskins on right before the fateful drive. Wonder if the rabbit is cursed, haha View attachment 210757

PS, thanks everyonefor your concern. You guys are awesome and what this community great :) Cheers.
I bought a torque stick so if I need to go somewhere that will have to remove a wheel I make them use the torque stick and then a torque wrench to finish.

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
I bought a torque stick so if I need to go somewhere that will have to remove a wheel I make them use the torque stick and then a torque wrench to finish.

Good idea, I will definitely be doing that along with getting a breaker bar with 17mm & 19mm sockets to go in the trunk/boot. Found out the "wrench" in the emergency kit has such a fat lip, it wouldn't fit into the space in of the shifted wheel. Had to call a buddy to bring down a socket set.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Good idea, I will definitely be doing that along with getting a breaker bar with 17mm & 19mm sockets to go in the trunk/boot. Found out the "wrench" in the emergency kit has such a fat lip, it wouldn't fit into the space in of the shifted wheel. Had to call a buddy to bring down a socket set.
I tried to link to the one I bought on Amazon but it shows that I ordered it and all of my other orders. The brand is Steelman 90 lb torque stick. $35.

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
Switched out my BFI stage 1 dog bone insert for a Spulen street insert. I’ll have to wait until it’s fully broken in, but so far seems a bit less harsh. Gave her a quick bath too. Waiting for a nice weekend to do a clay and wax.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
All brands of cars need the lug bolts or nuts torqued properly.
Fair point. My old Honda's/Acura's I'd just give'er as hard as I could - they weren't as sensitive to torque specs as VW's. I remember the first time I did work on my previous car and they had torque specs for individual bolts - I was like: wait, what?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Fair point. My old Honda's/Acura's I'd just give'er as hard as I could - they weren't as sensitive to torque specs as VW's. I remember the first time I did work on my previous car and they had torque specs for individual bolts - I was like: wait, what?
You can warp the brake rotor or damage the hub by over tightening lug nuts on any vehicle.

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
Did my first bi yearly oil change. Shout out to LiquiMoly/ECSTuning for including this free bottle cap opener with my order. I was like, what the hell is that (they had it taped around the oil handle), and was like, oh damn sweet!

Using the schwaben fluid extractor, I had it done in around 20 minutes or less. I swear, I could wear a suit and do an oil change with that thing. It's too easy.

Attachments

• 20210418_182705.jpg
    20210418_182705.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 80
Last edited:

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Did my first bi yearly oil change. Shout out to LiquiMoly for including this free bottle opener with my order. I was like, what the hell is that (they had it taped around the oil handle), and was like, oh damn sweet!

Using the schwaben fluid extractor, I had it done in around 20 minutes or less. I swear, I could wear a suit and do an oil change with that thing. It's too easy.
That’s dope of them

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Attempted to install my forge intake hose, but it appears to be about one inch too short? 🤔

Don’t worry, I know, it doesn’t do anything anyways.

A3BC8ED5-38F9-450B-B336-5A96B9AFBDFC.jpeg