GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

Rennwagen

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I also bought a set of these (from Summit Racing though)

Did you remove/drop the exhaust to cut off the tips?

I was trying to figure out the best way to remove them. I'm not sure if taking off the spot welds are enough.

Looks great !

I just unbolted the hangers that hold up the muffler. It’s a bit tight in some areas, but it’s easy to move around after it’s loose.

Unfortunately they do not just slip on nice and neat. The Oem tubing flares out to a larger OD for the oem tips. The tubing before it flares open is much smaller than the Jones ID. So basically you need to cut the oem tube somewhere in the middle of the flare to get the right size.

On top of that, the flare is right after a 45 degree bend so it’s kind of tricky. Just take your time, you can always cut more off.

TLDR: I expected to just cut off the tack welds and slip on the new tips. It was not that simple.

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S

gmgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
-3k mile oil change
-dogbone insert installed (almost no noticeable NVH)
-stage 1 tune

Much more fun!

tmaslove

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
Whiteline industries sway bar kit. Front and rear as well as new end-links.

Attachments

• AA9822AE-A27E-433E-84B7-E6C33F74168D.jpeg
    AA9822AE-A27E-433E-84B7-E6C33F74168D.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 74
  • A47C852A-A459-42E0-8DD3-E91EB827A809.jpeg
    A47C852A-A459-42E0-8DD3-E91EB827A809.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 78
  • 0A70FE26-23F4-4E05-97FF-3E92F7F151C0.jpeg
    0A70FE26-23F4-4E05-97FF-3E92F7F151C0.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 84

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Started uninstalling my stock exhaust, then stopped, then re-secured it.

That forward clamp where the mid-pipe meets the downpipe is a bitch. I'm probably going to cut it off, so I'll need a new one, so the new exhaust waits a few days more.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Started uninstalling my stock exhaust, then stopped, then re-secured it.

That forward clamp where the mid-pipe meets the downpipe is a bitch. I'm probably going to cut it off, so I'll need a new one, so the new exhaust waits a few days more.
The little sleeve clamp?
1618606059184.png

It's seated on the back with a square bolt, so if you can get to the nuts with a wrench/ratchet you should be able to to get it loose and slip it down over the midpipe so you can get the DP out of the way to remove it. Unless someone hit it with an impact wrench or something, then you might need some power tools to break it free. Since it's self locking, you just need to be able to reach the nuts.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
The little sleeve clamp?

It's seated on the back with a square bolt, so if you can get to the nuts with a wrench/ratchet you should be able to to get it loose and slip it down over the midpipe so you can get the DP out of the way to remove it. Unless someone hit it with an impact wrench or something, then you might need some power tools to break it free. Since it's self locking, you just need to be able to reach the nuts.

I can get to the nuts, and I can probably get the one off but the other is so rusted and corroded that after a few threads it stops moving at all and I'm pretty sure at this point I'm just rounding it. There's not enough room to get anything more than a small socket wrench up there and that's not cutting it.

Not sure how much those nuts need to be backed off, or how to get the clamp to "unlock", so that it slides off but it wasn't still firmly in place when I crawled out from underneath to re

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I can get to the nuts, and I can probably get the one off but the other is so rusted and corroded that after a few threads it stops moving at all and I'm pretty sure at this point I'm just rounding it. There's not enough room to get anything more than a small socket wrench up there and that's not cutting it.

Not sure how much those nuts need to be backed off, or how to get the clamp to "unlock", so that it slides off but it wasn't still firmly in place when I crawled out from underneath to re
Eh, it kinda depends on how deformed the metal lips that the bolts go through were deformed when it was put on.

Sucks they put the nuts facing upward, I got lucky and mine were pointing down so it was easy to get them without worrying about fitting tools in the tunnel. It's basically a layered clamp with two sets of teeth that get compressed down to form a full seal - Pic for reference:
1618607414306.png

The bolts are just a square seat bolt that goes through a square cutout in the lip, so the nuts are the only way to undo it sadly. If I recall, I had to back mine off until almost flush with the bolt end, maybe 1/8inch of thread before it came loose enough to slide over the pipe.