GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Picked up the car from the body shop after having the lip painted and installed, very pleased with the result. Now waiting on the intercooler, and likely giving it the first oil change this evening with Liqui-Moly 0w20 508.00 spec... Man that stuff is pricey! But I suppose you gotta pay to play.

Attachments

• 20210402_075159.jpg
    20210402_075159.jpg
    826.6 KB · Views: 132

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Poor car. It must still be in pain
I use that TW ceramic stuff on it, and honestly don't see any swirl marks. Top Gear did a test a few years back than showed touchless to more damage to paint that modern touch washes. 🤷‍♂️

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Finally got my car back from a waterpump/thermostat warranty replacement yesterday. 22 working day turnaround, presumably because of the restrictions placed on businesses over the virus. Don't break down boys... if I knew it would have taken that long I would have bought the parts and did it myself.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I use that TW ceramic stuff on it, and honestly don't see any swirl marks. Top Gear did a test a few years back than showed touchless to more damage to paint that modern touch washes. 🤷‍♂️

howwww, the chemicals are THAT corrosive that it’s worse than high speed physical contact? Like with PPF and ceramic, I would’ve thought something like a touchless wash subscription for unlimited washes would be perfect, drive through one on my way to work every morning and my car stays nice and clean.

but I guess that would actually be bad for it? Idk man

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Here's my car after being washed about once a week for 4 years through an automatic car wash with brushes.

20210406_194716.jpg

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
howwww, the chemicals are THAT corrosive that it’s worse than high speed physical contact? Like with PPF and ceramic, I would’ve thought something like a touchless wash subscription for unlimited washes would be perfect, drive through one on my way to work every morning and my car stays nice and clean.

but I guess that would actually be bad for it? Idk man
It's all down to the chemicals, but yes, they certainly can be worse. PPF doesn't react to any surfactants well, so I'd certainly avoid a daily wash for that, even with a ceramic coating over it. Of course I hate PPF with the heat of a thousand suns, but that's just the car detailer in me talking.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Finally got my car back from a waterpump/thermostat warranty replacement yesterday. 22 working day turnaround, presumably because of the restrictions placed on businesses over the virus. Don't break down boys... if I knew it would have taken that long I would have bought the parts and did it myself.

my Alltrack was in Smith VW’s possession for 57 days for panoleak due to:
1. National backorder on headliners
2. Holidays (gave them the car November 11th, got it back January 8th)
3. Unprecedented strain on the mail/shipping system due to COVID/online holiday purchases

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
It's all down to the chemicals, but yes, they certainly can be worse. PPF doesn't react to any surfactants well, so I'd certainly avoid a daily wash for that, even with a ceramic coating over it. Of course I hate PPF with the heat of a thousand suns, but that's just the car detailer in me talking.

Why do you hate it? Just because it makes maintaining it more difficult, reducing options?

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
my Alltrack was in Smith VW’s possession for 57 days for panoleak due to:
1. National backorder on headliners
2. Holidays (gave them the car November 11th, got it back January 8th)
3. Unprecedented strain on the mail/shipping system due to COVID/online holiday purchases

That's insane... they unplugged my dashcam while it was there was well. I guess it's time for a hardwire kit to go in.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Why do you hate it? Just because it makes maintaining it more difficult, reducing options?
The appearance. Like vinyl wraps, it just has an unnatural appearance. It also always yellows, which isn't a big deal on some colors, but looks awful on some. And it always seems to act differently than regular paint with polishes, glazes and sealants, not a big deal if the whole car is done, but a real pain if you're dealing with a partial application.

I like selvedge jeans and leather goods though, so patina is a huge positive to me, I'd endure 1k rock chips before putting a square inch of PPF on my car, but again, entirely personal, I get why it exists and why people like it. I'm an idiot that would gladly take a non clearcoated single stage paint over anything metallic or pearl too.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
That's insane... they unplugged my dashcam while it was there was well. I guess it's time for a hardwire kit to go in.

that is honestly unacceptable. You have that to provide proof of anything that happens to your car. If anything happened to your car it’s essentially automatically their fault now lol

D.Gage

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Gti
I had my dealer unplug both of my dash cameras too, right before the tech put 50-60 miles on my car... I had the dealer write me a formal apology letter as well as indicating dates of when my car was in their possession in case any traffic tickets or anything came in month later. I also got a free service done and OEM roof rack.

Mk7tsi3door

Go Kart Newbie
I painted the dot matrix on my rear window edge with straight up black rust paint so I can try tinting my windows again... having “I’m fucking up my car” vibes while I’m doing it 😂