Chrome on android

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
And what did I do today.

Destroyed 3rd gear 😭

It was inevitable I guess.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
This was not today but I just found the pictures so... doing several retrofits on my car and needed to tie into various can networks (drivetrain, suspension, extended). Most of the retrofit harnesses come with little jumpers so you can pull pins at the Gateway and tie in there. That was going to get messy so I broke out each of the can networks to my own connector that I can pull down for easy troubleshooting or later additions. Accessing the gateway is a pain, I should never have to get there again, haha. Used a 25 pin D-Sub with slidelocks, wrapped in tesa tape.
IMG_20210102_060025.jpg

IMG_20210102_055933.jpg

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch

The pic kinda sucks but I installed the Boomba Racing shift knob along with their short shift adapter. Huge improvement over stock, shifts feels much smoother and precise

Last edited:

c31561

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I kept it simple over the holidays. I installed a frameless Homelink mirror, should have done that a while ago. Homelink, compass, and auto-dimming all in one, wish that VW included that as a stock addition. The only hard part was running the wiring that does not exist on a Sport model.

I also added stainless brake lines for the PP brakes. Probably not needed but wanted to add a little extra protection for the brakes. Gave me the opportunity to flush the lines and use my Motive power bleeder. Highly recommended tool.

Attachments

• Brake_line_front.jpg
    Brake_line_front.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Brake_line_rear.jpg
    Brake_line_rear.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Replaced the non-HomeLink OEM mirror with the HomeLink version. 10 minute job. At least half of that getting the plastic trim piece off that surrounds the mount.

True plug and play assuming your original mirror is auto dimming. I was afraid of getting the new one seated properly but it went in on the second or third try. I’m listing the original mirror in the classifieds if anyone is interested.

D83BBD47-7566-4160-BC76-0BFEB7F54501.jpeg

A2FDDC0A-DE62-497E-81D3-EDC436318C93.jpeg

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Not to be morbid but...how did it happen?

Nothing special. Was getting on highway. Shifted into 3rd and was accelerating hard and around probably 5k rpm, heard a clunk and rpms shot up. Luckily let off when it got to 6500. Happened quickly though and car wouldn't move in 3rd. After that, just started rattling. Coasted to gas station and later found out I could still shift and move in 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th. 3rd there was nothing.

When it happened, I had no idea what happened and was scared to drive it. Called a mechanic buddy and he said it's already broken, so just drive it home or shop. Don't have to wait for tow, which was going to take 2 hours. Drive fine in the other gears but with a constant rattling. Guess pieces of 3rd are in there.

Now gotta figure out in order of possibility:

1) replace with another 5spd and risk it happening again
Cost : $3000

2) replace with 6spd, but have to replace lsd, clutch, axles, starter and transmission mount. Will recoup some by selling old lsd, clutch, mount
Cost $7500

3) replace with 5spd, take out aftermarket lsd, turbo, intercooler, brakes, wheels, coilovers and sell them all and car and get a Golf R

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
I ordered the Eurosport front strut bar and it's lost somewhere.

That sucks, you’ll be happy once you do get it, steering feels nice, a bit more direct.

I got two passenger side BFI mounts in the mail, 2nd time that I’ve received the correctly labeled box but there’s a different part inside