GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Continued with the wiring part of my retrofit adventure. These pictures aren't very good but kind of show where I'm running harnesses through the firewall. The blue cable is my pull wire, extends about 5 ft on either side of the firewall.

Car is a manual so I only have the small grommet to feed everything through. Already had 0 AWG wire going through it for my amp, and a single wire for the Audi chirp alarm. Everything added today includes ACC, DCC, PDC, fog light, sound actor, and TPMS/ESC wiring and harnesses. Ah like just tape whatever harness needs to be pulled through to the pole wire and then pull, either direction. A couple of the harnesses had to be depend and then repinned after they were pulled through. Was pretty worried about this but it all went smoothly, thankfully.
IMG_20201121_112536.jpg

IMG_20201121_112558.jpg

Last edited:

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
Installed a Forge BOV. That thing is loud! Fun as hell though. Decided to sell it. It's too much get-me-in-trouble sort of fun.

Also installed new tweeters and laid down wiring for an active audio setup. Can't wait to get some decent noise :)

Jshinz24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 SE MT
Installed a Forge BOV. That thing is loud! Fun as hell though. Decided to sell it. It's too much get-me-in-trouble sort of fun.

Also installed new tweeters and laid down wiring for an active audio setup. Can't wait to get some decent noise :)
I’ve been thinking real hard about upgrading the audio in my car lately. I do enjoy the Fender system, I just have a bit of an audiophile deep down that wants sone thing a little more crisp.

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
I’ve been thinking real hard about upgrading the audio in my car lately. I do enjoy the Fender system, I just have a bit of an audiophile deep down that wants sone thing a little more crisp.
I pressed forward with it after I changed the tweeters and realized how much of the good stuff I was missing. You should it! You got my vote!

D.Gage

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Gti
I pressed forward with it after I changed the tweeters and realized how much of the good stuff I was missing. You should it! You got my vote!

how hard is it to change out speakers in these cars? I haven’t done anything like that in years....😬

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
how hard is it to change out speakers in these cars? I haven’t done anything like that in years....😬
Toughest part is drilling out the rivets and securing the new drivers.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI

What does "active" mean? I know a thing or two about car audio but admittedly, quite little lol. Always interested in learning more in the event I want more out of my system than Helix down the line, though that is unlikely.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
What does "active" mean? I know a thing or two about car audio but admittedly, quite little lol. Always interested in learning more in the event I want more out of my system than Helix down the line, though that is unlikely.
Its in regards to the crossover and signal processing. An active crossover in today’s time pretty much means a DSP, where you customize the signals allowable frequencies to each speaker. A passive crossover is the typical component type speaker that you get the little box crossover that’s been predetermined my the manufacture to allow xx to xxxx frequencies.

I have a very simple mini dsp in my car and it was night and day with any passive stereo set up I’ve ever done in other cars, as you’re able to tune it specifically to what pleases YOUR ears and music type.

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion

Tweeters is fairly easy as with woofers. There's a few youtube videos going over the steps to remove the interior panels. Tunneling a 4 gauge or even 0/1 gauge wire is "easy" as there is a rubber grommet already available. I can answer more questions if you PM me. But for now, try upgrading just the tweeters. I believe the original ones are 2 ohm, but even if you replace with a 4ohm you'll notice a huge difference in clarity.

Its in regards to the crossover and signal processing. An active crossover in today’s time pretty much means a DSP, where you customize the signals allowable frequencies to each speaker. A passive crossover is the typical component type speaker that you get the little box crossover that’s been predetermined my the manufacture to allow xx to xxxx frequencies.

I have a very simple mini dsp in my car and it was night and day with any passive stereo set up I’ve ever done in other cars, as you’re able to tune it specifically to what pleases YOUR ears and music type.

That! Instead of using what they call a passive crossover, in which you cannot change the crossover frequency or manipulate the freq response of each individual tweeter, an active crossover will allow you to tweak a lot more of a speakers characterisitcs.

Here's my current setup:

2-way components (tweeter & woofer):
- Audiofrog (GB10 Tweeter)
- Audiofrog (GB60 Mid/woofer)
- Arc Audio PS8 (DSP... handles each speakers crossover and freq response settings)
- Arc Audio Series 800.4 (800 watt x 4 channel) amplifier.

Last edited: