GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
How hard was the install? That diffuser looks awesome.

I bought the kit and I recommend it https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine...parts/tcr-rear-diffuser-kit/5g6807568ag041kt/

Really easy, I jacked up the car for convenience but you dont really need to per se. I detailed the process here https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/mk7-5-rear-valance-removal.374610/post-7500234

The TCR diffuser is very aggressive though, it sticks out and is very noticeable (which is good) - The downside is that if you just put the diffuser on it looks a bit out of place. I felt I had to have something on the hatch to compliment that.

Also, you are going to want some tips that stick out a bit further as the stock ones get a bit eaten up by the overhang. In order to install the BMS billet tips you have to grind off the 3 spot welds on each stock tip and the BMS tips slide (just barely!) over the mk7.5 raw pipe.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
I bought the kit and I recommend it https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine...parts/tcr-rear-diffuser-kit/5g6807568ag041kt/

Really easy, I jacked up the car for convenience but you dont really need to per se. I detailed the process here https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/mk7-5-rear-valance-removal.374610/post-7500234

The TCR diffuser is very aggressive though, it sticks out and is very noticeable (which is good) - The downside is that if you just put the diffuser on it looks a bit out of place. I felt I had to have something on the hatch to compliment that.

Also, you are going to want some tips that stick out a bit further as the stock ones get a bit eaten up by the overhang. In order to install the BMS billet tips you have to grind off the 3 spot welds on each stock tip and the BMS tips slide (just barely!) over the mk7.5 raw pipe.
Sad to hear about the tips. I didn't want to have to buy and install yet another piece. Looks like I'll leave it as is for now at least.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Sad to hear about the tips. I didn't want to have to buy and install yet another piece. Looks like I'll leave it as is for now at least.

I think you could get away with the tips staying stock, but to be honest I didnt try it as I ground off the welds on my stock tips while installing the diffuser. (gives you more space to work with the diffuser off and the exhaust just unbolted at the back 2 hangers)

The burger tips on my car are only about a half inch further out than the stock ones would be.

heres a pic that shows it pretty well (you can see the stock pipe inside the tip)

1603369012766.png

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

Are you saying that the TCR diffuser rests on or bumps up against the stock exhaust tips?

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Are you saying that the TCR diffuser rests on or bumps up against the stock exhaust tips?

Nope, no interference with the stock tips. The stock tips will just appear to be further under the car (in the direction towards the front of the vehicle) than they do with the stock valence.

Edit: I made a picture highlighting where the stock pipe ends, and maybe that helps explain. (see the little red arrow showing on the far tip)

1603369089835.png

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Nope, no interference with the stock tips. The stock tips will just appear to be further under the car (in the direction towards the front of the vehicle) than they do with the stock valence.

Edit: I made a picture highlighting where the stock pipe ends, and maybe that helps explain. (see the little red arrow showing on the far tip)

View attachment 189489
Thanks for clearing up...totally understand now. Read the write up too.....sounds easier than I originally thought.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
working my way to natural black tips!

So every week or two I have a 10 mile back road loop of narrow twisty road I have fun on. Saw I'm not the only one: 50+ feet of skid then you could see the tracks into the woods more importantly into a Large tree. It was rotted but it's now down. It didn't look good and the speed they must have been going :oops:. I have fun but they were going race car speed and won a stupid prize

Last edited:

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
working my way to natural black tips!

So every week or two I have a 10 mile back road loop of narrow twisty road I have fun on. Saw I'm not the only one: 50+ feet of skid then you could see the tracks into the woods more importantly into a Large tree. It was rotted but it's now down. It didn't look good and the speed they must have been going. I have fun but they were going race car speed and won a stupid prize
reminds me of something I saw recently...

I drive over this bridge every day on my way to work, couple weeks ago saw this crane pulling a car out of the drink. Turns out was a 17 year old kid in a camaro, racing a mustang. (there's a reason why there are stereotypes!)

cb bridge.PNG

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
It doesn't bother me that it's not sealed. I mean, I've been considering drilling some holes in my stock box lol

I've already got the inlet pipe, so MST seems like a good option. I haven't seen any others that can be upgraded in that way.
If you already have the inlet and pipe, might as well finish it off with the MST intake if you plan on getting one. I do like the option of having it closed, or open, which I will probably open it as the weather cools off. With all the airflow tests Jeff (My Golf Mk7) did, the MST system was almost a no brainer. A decent price point and airflow for this system.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
If you already have the inlet and pipe, might as well finish it off with the MST intake if you plan on getting one. I do like the option of having it closed, or open, which I will probably open it as the weather cools off. With all the airflow tests Jeff (My Golf Mk7) did, the MST system was almost a no brainer. A decent price point and airflow for this system.

I think I might end up going with the R600 intake. After seeing that intake and thinking on it a bit more I really like that one. It looks almost oem which fits better with what I'm doing with the car. I've got just a res delete for the exhaust, my aftermarket wheels almost look like pretorias, and I'll probably just stick with stage 1. R600 seems like a good fit for me...I do like the price of MST a lot more lol

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Those are really nice. What model years will they fit? All MK7.5? And how much were they?

They sell versions of both colors that fit both mk7 and mk7.5.

I paid about $330 for them and kinda expected them not to work out. It turned out that I needed to repin the harness they came with using the help of a forum member. After doing that I am very happy with them.

As a unit I would give them a 9/10 in appearance and finish, a 7/10 in fit (which is fixable with attention to detail) and a 10/10 with functionality. The caveat to that is that it's a 1/10 in support and instructions so hopefully I can pay the help I got forward to others.