GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
This is my first vw clutch yes, but I have been preparing for several months and have watched all the vids and read even more info in the time leading up to this. Knowledge is power, blah blah blah.

When all is said and done, it's mostly just nuts and bolts.
I would say im very mechanically inclined and I have read through install instructions for doing a clutch, there was a part of me that said 'ya i can do this' and the other part of me was like nah im gonna mess something up lol I feel like it might seem easy but the job is pretty hard

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
Let's see... Some of these mods I did two months ago (Helix+MIB2 8" screen+brain upgrade & Golf R glove box), but the rest were all done this past week. Call me a masochist, but I love tinkering for hours on end. Yes I am tired! ;)

Dirty bunny

OEM trunk carpeting - PN: 5GM 863 007 CA9

OEM Euro Passat 3BG LED door puddle lights (all 4 doors). Next up are the two OEM LED under-seat lights for the rear.

OEM Intake block off plate - PN: 5Q0 129 849

Drilled out driver's side intake opening.

OEM Euro Amber Sequential LED tails - PN: 5G1 052 200 C (sold as a set of 4 w/drivers side rear fog lamp).

Various OEM under body aero covers (Yesssss! The car is much quieter inside now!). Extensive DIYs and details (credit to Golf Dave) can be found here. Next on the to-do list is the Tiguan subframe cover mod.

OEM Audi A3/S3 rear suspension harmonic damper. Details on what it is and why I got it can be found here. PN: 1K0 505 563

OEM Washer Fluid Cap thingy with hinge - PN: 4M0 955 267

Figured a way to enable the valet parking feature on accident using VCDS. Because I permanently turned off Auto Stop/Start months ago I remapped the button to act as the Valet Parking enabling/disabling mechanism. When turned on it cripples the MIB2 (cuts bluetooth and all audio features)!

I never valet my cars, but still something cool to have.
:laugh:

Fixed drivers side window switch bass rattle with oodles of Tesa Tape. Has driven me nuts for the 6,000 miles of ownership.

All for now...

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Let's see... Some of these mods I did two months ago (Helix+MIB2 8" screen+brain upgrade & Golf R glove box), but the rest were all done this past week. Call me a masochist, but I love tinkering for hours on end. Yes I am tired! ;)

Dirty bunny

OEM Euro Passat 3BG LED door puddle lights (all 4 doors). Next up are the two OEM LED under-seat lights for the rear.

OEM Euro Amber Sequential LED tails - PN: 5G1 052 200 C (sold as a set of 4 w/drivers side rear fog lamp).

Various OEM under body aero covers (Yesssss! The car is much quieter inside now!). Extensive DIYs and details (credit to Golf Dave) can be found here. Next on the to-do list is the Tiguan subframe cover mod.

OEM Audi A3/S3 rear suspension harmonic damper. Details on what it is and why I got it can be found here. PN: 1K0 505 563

Figured a way to enable the valet parking feature on accident using VCDS. Because I permanently turned off Auto Stop/Start months ago I remapped the button to act as the Valet Parking enabling/disabling mechanism. When turned on it cripples the MIB2 (cuts bluetooth and all audio features)!

Fixed drivers side window switch bass rattle with oodles of Tesa Tape. Has driven me nuts for the 6,000 miles of ownership.

All for now...

How much were the door puddle lights?

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
How much were the door puddle lights?

I've had these for some time now. They came off my 2016 Golf Wagon. New they were I think something like $20 or less each? Brain fart sorry.

Interested to hear your thoughts on this. Do you think this helped with NVH?

Haven't driven much but the little I have tells my ears there is a slight difference. It doesn't make the car quieter - just changes the frequency of any rear suspension bangs. Going over bumps no longer sounds like a bunch of loose wooden logs rolling around the hatch (y)

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I would say im very mechanically inclined and I have read through install instructions for doing a clutch, there was a part of me that said 'ya i can do this' and the other part of me was like nah im gonna mess something up lol I feel like it might seem easy but the job is pretty hard

It's certainly possible something gets botched and my next post after this is trying to source a new transmission.

This is the most involved diy I've done but I figure it should just be a matter of learning what is needed well before hand, then just going slow and double checking every step. Other installs had 2 or 3 steps, this one has about 20.

We will see if it was worth it to save the $800 - $1000 in labor. I was right on the fence about it until the quarantine happened.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
This is my first vw clutch yes, but I have been preparing for several months and have watched all the vids and read even more info in the time leading up to this. Knowledge is power, blah blah blah.

When all is said and done, it's mostly just nuts and bolts.

I'm a complete DIY-er, and had no trouble doing the clutch. It helped to have a friend, but I'm positive I could have done it alone, just would have taken longer.

Just make sure you have the right tools, and some time (which most of us have plenty of right now...).

If you look at the ECS brand clutch kit on their website you can download their instructions, which are pretty good. And they include a page you can print out that will help keep track of all the hardware you removed and where it goes.

Ridebjj said it right - it's just nuts and bolts.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Dirty bunny

All for now...

I never valet my car either but programming the stop/start button for that is cool. Nice job with everything.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
bought 7$ 60inch piece of chrome vinyl wrap from amazon, wanted to wrap the red strip of the front grill, safe to say its going to stay red. Wrap is super hard to work with and the front piece is very very hard to wrap (for someone with no experience) You cannot take the red strip off grill, there are clips on back but part of it goes under the VW emblem so that wasn't an option. Maybe I bought the wrong wrap I dont know but it was like a dang sticker, not easy to work with at all

scott59

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI S 6MT
mk7_bk,
I used some stuff called Prostripe, think most auto stores have it, it's 1/4" wide so you need to do 2 rows lapped a little. Definitely not perfect looking up close but past a few feet away doesn't look too bad, not very expensive so might be worth a try.

Pinstripe.JPG

Prostripe Pinstripe.jpg

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
bought 7$ 60inch piece of chrome vinyl wrap from amazon, wanted to wrap the red strip of the front grill, safe to say its going to stay red. Wrap is super hard to work with and the front piece is very very hard to wrap (for someone with no experience) You cannot take the red strip off grill, there are clips on back but part of it goes under the VW emblem so that wasn't an option. Maybe I bought the wrong wrap I dont know but it was like a dang sticker, not easy to work with at all
I used black amazon sheet vinyl to wrap the chrome on my grill, you need a heat gun to properly work with the wrap material.

A3FFE818-4692-4EEF-9F4B-6157C260002F.jpeg