GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Since this thread gets the most traffic I'll post this here instead of starting a new thread

Idk how long this deal will be up but woot.com ("daily deal"-type site, amazon owns them) has an AEM OBD2 multi-gauge for $82.50, normally a $150 gauge.
https://sellout.woot.com/offers/aem-electronics-52mm-digital-gauge?ref=w_cnt_wp_0_6

I don't really know anything about the gauge but I obviously know AEM is a good brand, don't know specifics about MK7 functionality or things like that

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Part 2 last night.
Car lifted, wheels off, suspension disconnected and axles pulled. May go back and just take the front control arms off to install new bushings, but I forgot to get a press to help with that.

Starter removed. All various cables, hoses, and so forth that could get in the way fixed out of place.

Later today will hopefully end with the tranny out. I'm trying to stick to my ~2 hours a day rule.

Edit: So far the only thing I've broken or damaged is the little plastic clip that covers the engine lift hook on the trans side. Oh and I smoked (literally it made smoke) my cheap Harbor freight electric impact driver early on loosening the lug nuts.
Now's the perfect time for such a DIY. My clutch is on its way out, highly considering doing it myself this time around (would be the 3rd time since ownership...). Curious to hear your final thoughts on the job.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
0324201752.jpg

Part 3.
Remove axle cup from driver side. Remove downpipe. Remove lsd heat shield. Disconnect oil and lsd connectors and stow away. Pull passenger side axle up and zip tie out of the way. Pull lsd out of tranny and secure up and out of the way. Take out all tranny bolts but one on the bottom.

Edit: took out excessive description of one hour battle with a single bolt.

Cleaned everything else off the floor. Put Jack in place for support. Housing is now held by one bolt and very loose. Tomorrow will be last check and then it will be time to deliver this baby. Didn't want to do it today at the end of shift while tired.

Last edited:

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
0325201604c.jpg

Part 4:

Transmission case removed (not fun). Pressure plate, and flywheel also removed. Old throw out bearing removed.

Rear main seal looked perfect and even had all 8 bolts. Debated on leaving it alone. Got talked into not leaving it alone by forum neer-do-well.

Removed old rms, cleaned old sealant off block surface. Installed new iabed rms which sure looks nice in all its aluminum goodness.

The above marks the turnaround point, where nothing else is left to remove and things start to go back on.

Lifting the case back in solo will be the real test of skill and/or strength.

The Butcher

Autocross Champion
View attachment 168485

Part 4:

Transmission case removed (not fun). Pressure plate, and flywheel also removed. Old throw out bearing removed.

Rear main seal looked perfect and even had all 8 bolts. Debated on leaving it alone. Got talked into not leaving it alone by forum neer-do-well.

Removed old rms, cleaned old sealant off block surface. Installed new iabed rms which sure looks nice in all its aluminum goodness.

The above marks the turnaround point, where nothing else is left to remove and things start to go back on.

You sir have the patience of a monk. My anxiety puts a stop to any project over a few hours.

c31561

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport

i have been following your work, I will be doing this same job soon. Getting the trans in and out is the one thing I worry about. Looking good so far though!

You must have found the same YouTube video I did for this job, looking very familiar,

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Part 4:

I'm just going to say it.....I really respect ya'll who can do this from memory and just flat out have the know-how. Impressive. Tops my level of expertise fo' sho'

(y)

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Which different clutches have you had and what’s the next one gonna be?
"TTRS" kit from FCP, which is the SRE pressure plate with a Euro TDI disc. First time the throw out bearing failed, replaced everything with their lifetime warranty. Now the Euro TDI disc is failing, so I will be picking up a SRE organic disc and new dual mass flywheel.

I strongly considered a SB Stage 3 daily single mass setup but our dollar is not strong right now so $1,600 USD is very steep considering I don't have to pay for anything new apart from a new clutch disc and flywheel.

Hoping the Sachs SRE setup holds up to my IS38. Had to put tuning on pause while the clutch is addressed :(

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I'm just going to say it.....I really respect ya'll who can do this from memory and just flat out have the know-how. Impressive. Tops my level of expertise fo' sho'

(y)

Memory? Know how? No no no. I've never done this before. I just have a computer pointed to a few videos and a lot of tools.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Memory? Know how? No no no. I've never done this before. I just have a computer pointed to a few videos and a lot of tools.
NO WAY.....you serious Clark? wow......still impressed. In my mind, it's like eating an elephant.
index.jpg

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
NO WAY.....you serious Clark? wow......still impressed. In my mind, it's like eating an elephant.
View attachment 168517

This is my first vw clutch yes, but I have been preparing for several months and have watched all the vids and read even more info in the time leading up to this. Knowledge is power, blah blah blah.

When all is said and done, it's mostly just nuts and bolts.