Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Finally had a long standing A-pillar rattle fixed. Dealership charged an hour. Wish I had done sooner as they only warranty rattles for 1 year / 20k KMs.

Thanks once again to @ReadTheBook for this DIY write up!

A-pillar rattle/buzz... Finally fixed!
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...om/forums/showthread.php?t=33171&share_type=t

So you basically handed that DIY guide to the VW tech and told them to have at it? Did they want to do their own diagnosis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
So you basically handed that DIY guide to the VW tech and told them to have at it? Did they want to do their own diagnosis?

I will be doing this, this week, and will be getting it done under warranty due to my long outstanding issues with noises with my car which VWoA has been involved with. Will let you know the outcome. Obviously the dealership keeps saying they aren't able to verify the issues. I'm also getting my windshield replaced under warranty and will be providing them with ReadTheBook's thread about windshield issues.

They do not want to do their own diag, as the dealership is not reimbursed by VWoA for diag on issues like these, only performing the repairs. So dealership techs have no incentive to even bother trying to diag them, because the dealership does not pay them for it. They just blow it off until the customer has to pay for it. One of the biggest scams there is. I've been on my dealership and VWoA like a fly on shit, so I have them under my thumb..... hopefully, but not likely, as they keep jerking me around anyway.

danielmckendry

Ready to race!
Took a photo of the bumper where it looks like a screw should be, there's a ring now but that's because i put one in for a few days, but the screw wasn't there before on either side.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Took a photo of the bumper where it looks like a screw should be, there's a ring now but that's because i put one in for a few days, but the screw wasn't there before on either side.

You’re good, no screws there, that’s just the way it is

At least on my 15, not sure if they are using one now

mursepaolo

Ready to race!
Dropped it off at local tire shop... shaking a little bit between 75-85. Only started when I put on new wheels about two months ago. Figure they just need re-balancing or new hub centric rings. Guy told me it could be the CV joints... car has 5k miles, I highly doubt it. Hope they get it fixed cause I'm going on a 6 day, 2700 mile roadtrip starting tomorrow and am probably going to be cruising between 75-85 the whole time.

I'm having the same issue with mine. I've had it balanced, re-balanced, checked and re-checked the hub rings and spacers. Still shaking at 75 and up.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I'm having the same issue with mine. I've had it balanced, re-balanced, checked and re-checked the hub rings and spacers. Still shaking at 75 and up.

Have you tried multiple sets of hub rings? Are yours plastic? Do you spacers have lips or are they flat?

Edit: Answered you on FB. 10mm flat spacers on aftermarket wheels don't allow hub rings to be hub centric due to the design of the hub. Between 8mm and 13mm you need adapter spacers to give you a hub centric lip to mount your hub rings, and 66.56 to 73.1 rings to work with the new hub bore.

http://www.urotuning.com/42DD-Wheel-Hub-Adapter-Spacers-57-1mm-to-66-56mm-p/42-824-005.htm

Last edited:

mursepaolo

Ready to race!
Have you tried multiple sets of hub rings? Are yours plastic? Do you spacers have lips or are they flat?

Edit: Answered you on FB. 10mm flat spacers on aftermarket wheels don't allow hub rings to be hub centric due to the design of the hub. Between 8mm and 13mm you need adapter spacers to give you a hub centric lip to mount your hub rings, and 66.56 to 73.1 rings to work with the new hub bore.

http://www.urotuning.com/42DD-Wheel-Hub-Adapter-Spacers-57-1mm-to-66-56mm-p/42-824-005.htm

My H&R 10 mm have lips though. They are 57.1 bore and I'm running a 57.1 to 73.1 hub ring.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
My H&R 10 mm have lips though. They are 57.1 bore and I'm running a 57.1 to 73.1 hub ring.

That is a problem. Those lips can only be designed for OEM wheels and they do not work right with hub rings. You cannot physically design 10mm spacers with lips that will work with a 57.1 to anything hub rings due to hub shape constraints.

Tapered lips, like the ones you have, are designed to fit the OEM taper inside the wheel. They are not designed to accept hub rings. Only flat spacers or flat lips will work with hub rings.

Edit: The only exception to this would be hub rings that are specifically hub side tapered to match the taper of the OEM wheels, but I do not believe any such rings exist outside of custom machining.

Last edited:

danielmckendry

Ready to race!
You’re good, no screws there, that’s just the way it is

At least on my 15, not sure if they are using one now

That's what i thought, it's a but odd but i know it is quite common, maybe there is a part of the world were they do need those extra bolts in for 1 reason or another

Nappy216

Ready to race!
Summer Wheels

Got some OZ wheels for the summer. Purchased from TireRack
Have some vibration @ 80MPH so kinda bummed.
Checked for ring slop...none. So now I will swap in a stock wheel to see if I can figure out if one or more of the new wheels is out of balance.

Attachments

• oz.jpg
    oz.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 595

pantsos

Ready to race!
Got some OZ wheels for the summer. Purchased from TireRack

Have some vibration @ 80MPH so kinda bummed.

Checked for ring slop...none. So now I will swap in a stock wheel to see if I can figure out if one or more of the new wheels is out of balance.

Who did the installation also what type of bolts?
I have the same wheels

Predatorbird

Ready to race!
Threw my new wheels on tonight. Obligatory gas station pic to show them off. I'm using 15/20 spacers on there and it looks sick! I'm hoping they don't rub.