GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Really not needed unless going hybrid. Even with 5 bar sensors and pushing the 38 on e85, stock should be able to keep up.

Install on charge pipes isn't hard, just a mild PITA.
Good to know, I'll likely leave mine alone then. I spent the money for an intake on my Mazda because it made it easier to get to the transmission mount, when I was burning through those roughly every year and a half. But if there's not really any noticable gain to be had for what my overall plan is, then it sounds like leaving it alone is the answer. Thanks!

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Got any thoughts/opinions on the EQT TOP/pipe kits in general? Not planning to go any bigger than IS38 so I don't know if it's worth it. Money isn't as much a factor as headache, I'm fine with spending money on something IF it's not likely to be a point of frustration in the future.

I personally don’t recommend upgrading charge pipes, but I’ve got two sets for free & very cheap so here we are (first was a complete set of Mishimoto, which I did a video on way back).

As mentioned there’s not much to be gained, even on a car making substantially more power than mine. I’ve sat on this EQT TOP for about a year, not because it’s difficult, but because it wasn’t at all necessary and I knew eventually I’d have easy access.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
FCP pulled another ECS on me, and shoved all the hardware into the hub/wheel bearing assemblies original packaging (so it’s all beat to shit and the threads are all rolled).
IMG_0882.jpeg
IMG_0883.jpeg
IMG_0884.jpeg

I may have got a little loose at the end of the comment section.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
oof... holy moly.

The rest of the package was perfect, just pure ignorance ruined $300.

I have new axle bolts on stock, so I’m just gonna send it with reused hub to swivel hardware. Maybe I’ll order CSS swivels and use that as motivation to rip it all apart and replace the hardware when they send the new stuff.

Kdubya

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Spoiler, after five miles the passenger side axle cup seal started flinging priceless (unobtainable in the US right now) Motul Gear 300.

Glad you got your car back man- outside of the axle seal leak i hope The break in process goes smoothly and you can give us an update when you get a chance to grip and rip all the new goodies

Kdubya

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Drove the car from FL to NC last night and today. Forgot how nice this car drives on the highway - from 60 to whatever the response is really nice.. i cannot Imagine was an IS38, an Vortex, or different set up would even feel like.. then again i dont Even go balls to the wall either..

I think i eventually want to still change some suspension aspects- i would like the car to respond a bit better on suspension.. may have to end up rolling the fenders cause on some of the bigger bumps something is hitting or so it seems.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Glad you got your car back man- outside of the axle seal leak i hope The break in process goes smoothly and you can give us an update when you get a chance to grip and rip all the new goodies

Thanks, just sucks parking it again after 5 miles. It was losing a ton of oil and the at would suck to ruin a fresh rebuild.

ChristopherNeil

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Thanks, just sucks parking it again after 5 miles. It was losing a ton of oil and the at would suck to ruin a fresh rebuild.
I'm watching the video right now. Forgive my ignorance, but is the seal failure something related to the work you did or is it something that the universe just decided to throw at you? Sucks you're having so much downtime.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I'm watching the video right now. Forgive my ignorance, but is the seal failure something related to the work you did or is it something that the universe just decided to throw at you? Sucks you're having so much downtime.

Who knows, brand new seal so either I messed up the installation somehow, the case or axle cup has a defect, or just plain bad luck.

I really hope when I take it apart there’s a obvious point of failure, because this means pulling that axle again & I really don’t wanna redo this more subsequent times if it’s not obvious.

In the grand scheme of things, having done a full overhaul this is about the best possible issue to have outside of like the drain plug or something leaking.

I also just published a Short we shot earlier in the day outlining the front wheel bearing swap process.

https://youtube.com/shorts/P01f2KRvXmg?feature=share

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Who knows, brand new seal so either I messed up the installation somehow, the case or axle cup has a defect, or just plain bad luck.

I really hope when I take it apart there’s a obvious point of failure, because this means pulling that axle again & I really don’t wanna redo this more subsequent times if it’s not obvious.

In the grand scheme of things, having done a full overhaul this is about the best possible issue to have outside of like the drain plug or something leaking.

I also just published a Short we shot earlier in the day outlining the front wheel bearing swap process.

https://youtube.com/shorts/P01f2KRvXmg?feature=share
who's doing all the camera work these days? Your videos are good.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
who's doing all the camera work these days? Your videos are good.

A variety of tripods, free hand, and my nine year old son lol.

Still haven’t used my DSLR, it’s just iPhone and a free editing app.

Eventually, if it ever takes off like DAP or Humble Mechanic I’ll hire a high school / college kid who aspires to be a producer to follow me around and build a resume. There’s so much I do that’ll never be on video because it is pretty time consuming. I’d say I capture 10% of what actually goes on in the shop.