GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
but home depot has way less twisty 2x4 than 2x3

ps I cut all the board for my wheel stands and then it got cold on sunday, and realized that while 18" was a nice, easy number to use, I probably should've done more like 12"-16" square. But now I have a platform that should support massive, massive tires. Maybe I should buy a 4Runner.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Got a garage for the GTI, has a house attached to it. It's just a one year rental until I can buy. Moving in this week.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Got a garage for the GTI, has a house attached to it. It's just a one year rental until I can buy. Moving in this week.
moving from a concrete slab with an EZ pop up over it into a 1.5 garage was glorious......I don't ever take having a garage for granted anymore....

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
moving from a concrete slab with an EZ pop up over it into a 1.5 garage was glorious......I don't ever take having a garage for granted anymore....

Yep. I often think "Man, I wish my garage was bigger/nicer.", but then have to take a step back and appreciate that I at least still have a garage I can comfortably work in.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Man I have been actually depressed for the need of a garage so I can get stuff done and not have to pay for labor at a shop.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Yep. I often think "Man, I wish my garage was bigger/nicer.", but then have to take a step back and appreciate that I at least still have a garage I can comfortably work in.
Yea this one is just a single, but its a start. I think this afternoon or maybe tomorrow I get to see how the GTI fits in their. I'll send a pic.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Gonna go buy a lotto ticket after how lucky I was here. Replacing pads, thought "hey, brembo supplied fresh bolts, how nice". Attempt to torque to 25 lb ft. felt the give when it necked, let off, switched direction and pulled it away. Chucked the oem bolts back in place.

Attachments

• received_905790070697616.jpeg
    received_905790070697616.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 54

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT

As someone whose best case scenario is finding a one-way city street so I can park the driver's side against a curb/sidewalk... don't take it for granted lol

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Wow I need to get off my arse and do this. Can you list parts and coding ?

Many thanks !

Sure thing; I actually ended up getting a kit off Ali rather than sourcing everything separately. There's a ton of part numbers the vendors throw around on there, but "5NA" on the charger baseplate is the EU/NAR part; anything else is going to be a Chinese-market version (which are cheaper but wasn't the direction I wanted for it.) I went with this one from Aidu since the wiring harness kit they include is fully plug and play.

Coding is dead simple, just two long coding bits to check enabled in byte 15 of the 5F module: bit 0 (Baseplate) and bit 5 (Wireless_charging_availability).

As far as installation tips, the BCM and MIB pinning was honestly very simple now that I know where everything is (was my first time doing anything BCM related.) If you have KESSY there's an existing pin you have to relocate but the wiring from Ali included a splitter so was dead easy. As far as power goes, that was my Icarus too-close-to-the-sun mistake of the weekend; I wanted everything to be as OEM as possible so attempted wiring the 12v up through the back of the fuse box into the correct location. But as many will attest, that thing and its godforsaken purple locking pins are a nightmare and I wound up breaking mine off trying to do it. Ended up going with an ATM 7.5A fuse tap into an open powered slot which is working fine; it's not as attractive and feels a little half-assed but if I were doing it again (@Cuzoe cover your ears lol) I'd just done it that way from the start and saved the time, annoyance, and torn up hands.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@bobloblawGTI Don't worry... I have a fuse tap temporarily installed to power the external soundaktor, which is still sitting in the rear footwell. I wasn't sure it was going to work so I didn't go through the pain of adding the fuse. It does work... so whenever I get mounted under the car I'll correct the wiring.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Sure thing; I actually ended up getting a kit off Ali rather than sourcing everything separately. There's a ton of part numbers the vendors throw around on there, but "5NA" on the charger baseplate is the EU/NAR part; anything else is going to be a Chinese-market version (which are cheaper but wasn't the direction I wanted for it.) I went with this one from Aidu since the wiring harness kit they include is fully plug and play.

Coding is dead simple, just two bits to check enabled in byte 15 of the 5F module: bit 0 (Baseplate) and bit 5 (Wireless_charging_availability).

As far as installation tips, the BCM and MIB pinning was honestly very simple now that I know where everything is (was my first time doing anything BCM related.) If you have KESSY there's an existing pin you have to relocate but the wiring from Ali included a splitter so was dead easy. As far as power goes, that was my Icarus too-close-to-the-sun mistake of the weekend; I wanted everything to be as OEM as possible so attempted wiring the 12v up through the back of the fuse box into the correct location. But as many will attest, that thing and its godforsaken purple locking pins are a nightmare and I wound up breaking mine off trying to do it. Ended up going with an ATM 7.5A fuse tap into an open powered slot which is working fine; it's not as attractive and feels a little half-assed but if I were doing it again (@Cuzoe cover your ears lol) I'd just done it that way from the start and saved the time, annoyance, and torn up hands.
$150 plus $47 shipping ? Yikes !! Convenience is pricey.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
$150 plus $47 shipping ? Yikes !! Convenience is pricey.
Yikes indeed, they must have hiked their shipping prices since I got it. Checked the invoice and mine was $163 total. There's a billion of them on Ali though so I'm sure there's cheaper options. Just keep an eye out for the part number and if you can get a photo of the wiring setup you should be good. [Edit] Like this one is $159 w/ free shipping.

Last edited:

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Yikes indeed, they must have hiked their shipping prices since I got it. Checked the invoice and mine was $163 total. There's a billion of them on Ali though so I'm sure there's cheaper options. Just keep an eye out for the part number and if you can get a photo of the wiring setup you should be good. [Edit] Like this one is $159 w/ free shipping.
Much better, does not include the wireless car play though, correct ?

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Mk4 died a not so glorious death last night. Rings unfortunately and with all the questionable history on this car it's not worth rebuilding the motor. Tracked down a low mileage BEV at a local yard for $400. Plan to take Thursday and Friday off to get it swapped out.

The biggest let down was AAA left me stranded. I called at 10:46pm and was given an 11:41 eta for pickup. After my initial service request I was never able to get in touch with the office again. Thankfully the Rutter's staff was friendly and let us leave the car overnight when my dad arrived at 1:30am. (Rutter's > Sheetz > Wawa; I'll die on this hill) Called AAA again this morning to see if they had an eta on pickup and they said there was no record of the service request. So much for "Premier" membership.
View attachment 276050
In better news I was notified my GSW4Mo is safely on the boat headed towards Hawaii! Early April ETA!

Also I'm like days late to the seat conversation, but I'm one of the few people who think Corbeaus on Planted brackets are still too high. I want to sit on the floor. My first car was a '74 Sonett which literally bolted the rails to the floor and sliders to the seat base. The seats were thin fiberglass buckets. Was a really fun car, but the 64hp V4 didn't produce enough power.
View attachment 276051
View attachment 276052
View attachment 276053

Bruh. I saw that first picture, and thought you were the one I sold my JSW to :LOL: I'm firmly in Rutter's country (which btw is waaaaaay better than Sheetz, which is still better than Wawa), and that signage looked vaguely familiar. I know the guy who bought my old car lives in the area, and I had those Audi wheels on mine at one point. Oddly enough, my 8v was also a BEV, with a mild cam and a UM tune. Good times.

Enjoy Hawaii!