GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
It was a couple weeks ago but thought I’d post since I don’t see many s3 wheels on mk7s. I’d want some wheel spacers for better stance, but they’re just winters so I’ll just leave well enough alone until I swap back to the KPS wheels in a few months. Don’t mind the Audi center caps, lol.

Nice! Looks like South Valley. The S3 wheels look good. I've seen some put the older gen 8V RS3 wheels on the R's, but I just don't like those wheels much. Probably the first thing I'd swap out if I ever pick a 8V RS3 up.
Still working on my new winters (+ track day) set. First go ever at ceramic coating wheels. Went with Carpro Dlux for the coating. First coat on Sunday and second coat yesterday. Will do the barrels after the tires are mounted next week.....

Screen Shot 2022-12-13 at 12.45.48 PM.png

jawndropper

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Started to wire my tail lights for the dynamic blinker to be active, but upon looking at Zero's diagram and eyeing my wiring kit, I don't think it is going to be possible. My connector ends from the yellow wire in the kit don't insert into the harness, and I don't have the extra "repair wire" in my kit. I also have extra plugs that I have no idea where they go. I would buy a DAP harness, but idk if it would work with my tail lights. I bought the VLAND version tail lights, and just plugged in the lights are stupid bright all the time. HELP lol.
Make sure you seal up the hatch grommets good. Once you remove / break those clips they are never the same. NGP installed my harness and did not do a great job sealing the grommets. I later ended up with a moldy headliner. (+ whatever electrical issues with the taillights and back up camera that will eventually arise)

Then I l melted a hole in the headliner trying to dry it with a heat gun like a dumbass.

I ended up going scorched earth,no half measures, and pretty much permanently glued them shut.

Water damage is not fun. Here are pics of my headliner and bonus pics of my old mk6s rear seats after a leaking sunroof drain

Attachments

• 09ABB299-90A0-4BEF-A374-FA1CAF7AA770.jpeg
    09ABB299-90A0-4BEF-A374-FA1CAF7AA770.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 54
  • CFE8E512-EFE1-4AB6-8248-2A8262336702.jpeg
    CFE8E512-EFE1-4AB6-8248-2A8262336702.jpeg
    515 KB · Views: 49
  • F3417311-9C6E-45AE-AACF-FEFD399B3DA2.jpeg
    F3417311-9C6E-45AE-AACF-FEFD399B3DA2.jpeg
    87.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 52F85833-0300-4B35-B753-47081C20FF8D.jpeg
    52F85833-0300-4B35-B753-47081C20FF8D.jpeg
    139.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Make sure you seal up the hatch grommets good. Once you remove / break those clips they are never the same. NGP installed my harness and did not do a great job sealing the grommets. I later ended up with a moldy headliner. (+ whatever electrical issues with the taillights and back up camera that will eventually arise)

Then I l melted a hole in the headliner trying to dry it with a heat gun like a dumbass.

I ended up going scorched earth,no half measures, and pretty much permanently glued them shut.

Water damage is not fun. Here are pics of my headliner and bonus pics of my old mk6s rear seats after a leaking sunroof drain
Like a big ole' cum stain. Gross. Sorry this happened to you.

jawndropper

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Like a big ole' cum stain. Gross. Sorry this happened to you.
Kind of just dealing with it. I know if I take the headliner down, the car will never be the same.

Super bummed. Water damage pretty much totaled my last GTI and I made sure to not get a sunroof this time around….

My MK6’s sunroof drain clogged, eventually filling the entire 18x8” spare wheel well. The car was parked for like 2 months then I hopped in and drove the car hard, not knowing I had literally 6gallons of dirty rainwater in the trunk, it all ended up in the main part of the cabin.

I ended up scrubbing the entire interior with Vinegar and ammonia. I was still able to smell the vinegar the day I sold the car to carmax 2 years later.

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
Nice! Looks like South Valley. The S3 wheels look good. I've seen some put the older gen 8V RS3 wheels on the R's, but I just don't like those wheels much. Probably the first thing I'd swap out if I ever pick a 8V RS3 up.
Still working on my new winters (+ track day) set. First go ever at ceramic coating wheels. Went with Carpro Dlux for the coating. First coat on Sunday and second coat yesterday. Will do the barrels after the tires are mounted next week.....

View attachment 268032

Yep that was at South Valley Park. I need to drop some lbs for backcountry touring but running hills at 7800’ isn’t my favorite. Those new wheels look great, stoked for you! Please let me know when you’re planning to get to the track and I’ll try to make it out. Happy to get back to HPR or PMP. Good on you for doing your own ceramic coating, I’m pretty unskilled with paint so I just pay out the nose :)

Reactions: MSH

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
It was a couple weeks ago but thought I’d post since I don’t see many s3 wheels on mk7s. I’d want some wheel spacers for better stance, but they’re just winters so I’ll just leave well enough alone until I swap back to the KPS wheels in a few months. Don’t mind the Audi center caps, lol.

View attachment 268016
That color was my second choice.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP

Hatch grommets? Where the wires pass through that has the rubber boots? I saw a vid where they were not even removed, just weed eater line and some tape and pulled the wires through.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Hatch grommets? Where the wires pass through that has the rubber boots? I saw a vid where they were not even removed, just weed eater line and some tape and pulled the wires through.
That will work well. Takes patience for sure, but works well.

jawndropper

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Unfortunatley the top 3 results for "MK7 Taillight Harness" on youtube are shopdap videos telling you to remove the grommets. You can install them while they are in place, but you may rip or puncture the boot. Be careful and you should be good.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Someone's sleeping in the Burb tonight.

That’s what we call Glamping in the biz haha, but nah she’s used to my shenanigans & only gave me a hard time for about five minutes. At the end of the day me modding my old clapped out shitboxes is way cheaper than buying something new every few years.

I do feel a little guilty we haven’t agreed on a set of wheels for her car yet. We went to check out powder coat colors for the OEM ones today (if we go that route).

D2FDA785-F5A5-448E-8901-F6292FFC5EE5.jpeg
47D57163-805B-4210-9CE6-34D72FE0A328.jpeg

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
What happened to rootbeer? That was a great colour. So good I might steal the idea next set of wheels I powdercoat....
Pretty sure that was for his wheels