GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Did they just ship from Germany or are they made in Germany?

If they’re actually made in Germany I’m buying a set and ditching these Ed’s BEC reps
Shipped from DE. As far as i know, all replicas are made in China. I pulled one of the Osrams out of its box, and it looks pretty damn good. I have Bec's now, and Osrams definitely look better. Plus all wiring is internal, very clean setup.

If you don't factor in shipping costs, the Osrams from DE are cheaper than BMP replicas.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Haha... yea that's correct. The kufatec unit is the speaker and module, made by Kuhnke (now Kendrion), but with the module running their custom software. Same module that's in VW's, Audis, Porsche, Mercedes, BMW etc. The OEM software, prior to being cracked/analyzed by Jilleb and Dark, has several tables but they were locked by VIN and Engine type, which determine which of the internal sound tables will be used. The tables have different sound for different drive modes and the sound will vary with throttle, vehicle speed, RPM, etc.

Anyway... Kufatec units still take that information (from the powertrain can bus) and use it to play sounds. They also have some user software that lets you add custom sounds (I think). OEM way ties sound profiles to driving modes only but Kufatec's module software allows control a number of ways depending on the vehicle... via a push button, via a phone app, key fob, cruise control buttons, etc. They also allow control through driving mode on (many) VAG cars.

My module and speaker cost me a good bit less than the Kufatec setup, and it will work the OEM way. I would love to run just their software, which seems to be available as an add on to OEM installation (like mine) but even that costs nearly as much as my whole setup.

sherbet

Ready to race!
8A020A90-1CA0-404E-BECA-771C592A4E17.jpeg

Threw on another spare set of wheels I have lying around for fun, enkei ts-9 18x8.5 +45. Do love the look of these and relatively light for the price, but FI have bent them to hell on the terrible highways I commute on, also acquired some Hoosiers at no cost from a buddy, 245/35 and 275/35. May throw the 245s on the bent enkeis and see if how well it can hook. Obviously they are road course tires but with some heat they should give me enough bite to break something. Curious what kind of 1/4 mile times I can throw down with a shitty open diff and tiptragic.

Oh, almost forgot. Also scored an Alltrack/GSW DSG w/ 26k miles on the cheap. Need to source some other bits, such as starter, mounts, axles, etc., as well as a few more stupid pills, but it was so cheap I couldn’t resist. If I wise up and decide against swapping, I’ll have a solid, low mile DSG up for grabs.
3271FD4B-B53A-43FF-B942-24635B4643F2.jpeg

Attachments

• 5F07AF04-B02F-4687-B1A5-20D142350314.jpeg
    5F07AF04-B02F-4687-B1A5-20D142350314.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 297
  • 6AC0CCDD-9359-40B8-8431-02D169E3CDC4.jpeg
    6AC0CCDD-9359-40B8-8431-02D169E3CDC4.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Shipped from DE. As far as i know, all replicas are made in China. I pulled one of the Osrams out of its box, and it looks pretty damn good. I have Bec's now, and Osrams definitely look better. Plus all wiring is internal, very clean setup.

If you don't factor in shipping costs, the Osrams from DE are cheaper than BMP replicas.

My Ed’s BEC shipped directly from Samsung in Korea, the Osrams should have county of origin listed (especially being shipped internationally).

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
IMHO, if you're going to buy any aftermarket headlights that aren't BMP (assembled in house supposedly) or OSRAM, save a couple hundred bucks and just order them from AliExpress. Most (not all) of the companies selling reps are just marking up the cheapies from Asia, sometimes even using the same photos. Obviously, this doesn't apply if you find an option that's better quality.

I gotta say it's disappointing that BMP is selling $900 headlights with just a limited 1-year warranty. Is the OSRAM warranty better?

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
IMHO, if you're going to buy any aftermarket headlights that aren't BMP (assembled in house supposedly) or OSRAM, save a couple hundred bucks and just order them from AliExpress. Most (not all) of the companies selling reps are just marking up the cheapies from Asia, sometimes even using the same photos. Obviously, this doesn't apply if you find an option that's better quality.

I gotta say it's disappointing that BMP is selling $900 headlights with just a limited 1-year warranty. Is the OSRAM warranty better?

The real move is to buy a car with LP lol.

I think I paid $540 for my Reps, & by me I mean my insurance company because I saved a bunch by going used on the fog light to cover headlights (ended up being a wash).

My wife’s GLI LP is night and day better by every measure, so in hindsight I shouldn’t have bought my GTI in poverty spec (2016 S manual).

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

I think I paid $540 for my Reps, & by me I mean my insurance company because I saved a bunch by going used on the fog light to cover headlights (ended up being a wash).

My wife’s GLI LP is night and day better by every measure, so in hindsight I shouldn’t have bought my GTI in poverty spec (2016 S manual).

This is how I picture most people:

1668875496274~2.jpg

Not necessarily aimed at you, since you admit you probably shouldn't have gotten the S 🤣

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

View attachment 266001

Not necessarily aimed at you, since you admit you probably shouldn't have gotten the S 🤣

Yeah haha, not me at all. I do love it, but the 2017 Sport or 2019 Rabbit are definitely the superior trim GTI (never was a fan of leather, till vented became an option anyway).

Back then I made about $35 an hour less than I do now, so poverty spec was appropriate. I definitely should’ve spent the extra $2,400ish on LP/PP because this WaveTrac isn’t gonna install itself either (but my plan from day one was real BBK & LSD so at least I’m holding up that end of the deal).

Only pictures I have saved from way back then.
6EABF72C-FE9E-4EE9-B452-BF5EEBC523B4.jpeg
926662D7-17E6-4940-A243-3E4FD196FE86.jpeg

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion

View attachment 266001

And what of poverty spec Golfs owners?

I had (have?) sunroof PTSD...

First car I ever bought, Mazda speed protege, the first day I drove it to school I took my friend home, pretty rough area. Bad a$$ kids throwing rocks at the car, shattered the sunroof 😭.

Second car I bought, stationed in Italy, 318i with sunroof. It would close with the motor but not quite all the way so you had to do the last bit manually, kept the Allen key in the cupholder 😶.

Third car I bought, 1994 Golf GL (I think) with a sunroof. Still stationed in Italy, went on deployment and the sunroof leaked while the car was parked for almost 9 months. It was a fuzzy forest in there 🤣.

The MK4 GTI had a sunroof but I just had to have that car, haha. Then the stop sale Mk7 TDIs became available and although I wanted a manual I had a good length Los Angeles traffic commute at the time and would have picked up a DSG. But with DSG came a sunroof which was not an option after my "traumas."

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
I dig my S very much. Even being the base trim, it is still the nicest car I have had the pleasure of owning and driving

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Since I got into autocross, I sort of regret not looking for a PP trim with the LSD. Crazy money to add a Wavetrac. Would probably trade in for a 7.5 Rabbit or even a MK8 before I sunk all that money (LSD, headlights, MIB2) into my 2015 S.

But man I love my 2-door. Big shame it was discontinued and never offered with the PP.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
So much room to work while the trans and lsd is out. Pulled the is20 this morning. When I was researching tools a couple people mentioned stubby t30 for the turbo oil lines. I’m assuming they changed it on the mk7.5, mine were 8mm triple square.
Been really enjoying wrenching time in the garage. If you’re hesitant to work on your own car, research, what YouTube videos and TAKE YOUR TIME. These cars are really easy to work on and I’m learning a ton. It’s not back together yet but I’ve organized and marked everything I took off.
IS38 install later tonight or first thing in the morning.
190C973D-1408-4B12-A48C-5005DD94B6FB.jpeg
25D996E6-B357-4008-B2F8-1F23D0ED7F2C.jpeg

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI

I hate that the GTI stock projectors have a blank inner LED U.