GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
I flashed the EQT Stage 1 ECU and TCU tune on my Golf R today at 28k miles. The tunes feel awesome!

Also installed new Ruths. First time doing plugs myself. Gapping them was by far the hardest part lol.

Thanks to everyone here!
12mm & 14mm Engine Spark Plug Caliper, Black Universal Precision Car Spark Plug Gap Tool, Aluminum Spark Plug Caliper Threaded Spark Plugs Gapper Gapping Kit (2PCS) https://a.co/d/cH2pUn2

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
I changed my oil, changed my spark plugs, changed my cabin filter, and cleaned my air filter. Feels good.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Fresh Motul 300V and RBF660 in the car for the next set of track days. Should last me until the VRT finally materializes.

Jeffapotamus

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI
How do you scrape a rim when you park in the back of the parking lot and far away from everyone else?
(rule #1 for car guy parking -- hell, even my little little kids know that lol)

just sayin'
She's borrowing my GTI while I'm fixing her MINI. She is street parking (parallel) in Chicago. It would have been fixed last weekend if the part that came in the mail hadn't been defective. :cautious:

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Does the stage 2 E30 tune for the GTI change the thermostat profile? My coolant temperatures have gone up about 4degC while cruising (was 94, now 97-99) at 70-75mph. When stopped at a red light, temperatures creep up to 105degC.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Not a lot done, almost at 30K miles so I change oil (changing every 5K miles), added Ceratec this time, change plugs to Ruths. Going to order the DSG kit and the Haldex kit and do those before hitting 35K. Currently only EQT Stg 1.

mrtuminaro

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 VW GTI
Cams are a very uncommon upgrade on these engines, to the point where I have never heard of someone doing it on the EA888 Gen3. Valve springs, rods and pistons are more common when building one. These engines are fairly robust from the start so don't need too much.
I appreciate the insight. Thanks

mrtuminaro

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 VW GTI
Man, I get they were kinda harsh - but coming in and saying stuff like this when you've got a people on these forums who are building their own cars, tuning their own cars, on a platform you don't know all that well is a bit much. I'm very much a rookie when it comes to cars in general - but if you're thinking cams -> more oxygen -> more combustion -> more power, most people will ask you why you aren't just turning up the boost....
Sure, and I get that. And that’s a better response than what I got originally. Like I said, I’m genuinely looking to learn, so actual feedback is hands down better than being sarcastic.

mrtuminaro

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 VW GTI
GTI/Rs have VVL/VVT. I don't believe I've seen anyone do a cam swap for internal building on a Gen3 Ea888. Most of the Stoich is handled ECU wise, SOI and End SOI can all be adjusted electronically, as can your cam positions and such.
https://blog.fcpeuro.com/the-definitive-guide-to-mk7-gti-ea888-engine-gen-3

"
Upgrading the factory engine connecting rods and pistons with forged versions can allow you to more safely exceed the 400 horsepower range provided that the fueling and turbocharger are similarly upgraded. Popular parts brands include Integrated Engineering, JE Pistons, and Mahle Motorsport, while Integrated Engineering also offers complete, pre-built short and long blocks. IROZ Motorsport offers a number of hybrid and big-turbo options for the Gen 3 EA888 engine in the Mk7 GTI, which, when paired with United Motorsport tuning and fueling upgrades, can produce 800+ horsepower. DBV2 is another popular ‘hybrid’ turbo company which offers upgraded versions of the factory IS38 turbocharger, with custom turbine and compressor wheels offering more airflow and horsepower potential in a factory housing.

When it comes to increasing power on the Mk7 GTI, the only real limit is your budget. The number of performance tuning options is staggering, and no matter how you plan on using your GTI or whatever your horsepower goal may be, there is an option on the market to help you achieve that goal. "
That’s awesome, thanks. Now that I’m getting more into this, I’d like to start thinking about tracking the car some time to see what it can do.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
State inspection and new tires since the RE71 lasted less than 10k miles.