GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Well, it could be a lot of different things. OTS tunes occasionally find a car they don't like with the one-size fits all approach. It could mean you reached some threshold that caused one piece of 6 year old hardware to begin to fail. Regardless of your decision, I would have a troubleshooting approach for what hardware caused your experience before throwing another tune on the car.

Before your initial misfire experience pulling into home, when was the last time you topped up on gas?
Yeah the advisor asked about gas too. I believe Thursday was when I filled up with 93, then the "event" happened Friday afternoon. Certainly a possible culprit. But if the issue doesn't happen while on a stock tune, it will be hard to know.

Otherwise, my car isn't modified beyond an AFE dryflow panel filter.

Going to plug in the OBD scanner and log my drive home just in case.

Last edited:

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I believe Thursday was when I filled up with 93, then the "event" happened Friday afternoon. Certainly a possible culprit. But if the issue doesn't happen while on a stock tune, it will be hard to know.
Bad gas would be much less bad on a stock tune, and that could be why the dealer suggested waiting a little while on stock. However, I'm not sure it would take an entire day for you to start experiencing symptoms of bad gas... unless you were just topping up a few gallons, and/or didn't drive very far after filling up.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Bad gas would be much less bad on a stock tune, and that could be why the dealer suggested waiting a little while on stock. However, I'm not sure it would take an entire day for you to start experiencing symptoms of bad gas... unless you were just topping up a few gallons, and/or didn't drive very far after filling up.
The tank was quite empty and I probably drove ~20mi since then. Seems like enough for bad gas to have already circulated.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Could a higher ethanol content cause misfiring? I would think the engine would like the octane bump, if anything.
It seems like most people don't experience this, but if i put more than a gallon of e85 in my car with my 91 custom tune, my car flips the f*ck out when I go full send for a prolonged period of time (like at the track). Misfires, cam sensor EPC, all sorts of crazy $hit

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Car drove great on the way home 🤷‍♂️

And as a bonus for my troubles, a ratcheting 10mm was left on my cowl…
D598C588-520F-40A0-A932-A473742ACC14.jpeg

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Car drove great on the way home 🤷‍♂️

And as a bonus for my troubles, a ratcheting 10mm was left on my cowl…
View attachment 232676
Considering your sketchy “CPO” situation, I’d drive straight back and give it back to the tech. Might create some good-will for next time!

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Considering your sketchy “CPO” situation, I’d drive straight back and give it back to the tech. Might create some good-will for next time!
100% agreed. Stopping back there after work. Lord knows I have enough 10mm wrenches anyways 🤣

Edit: Actually, looks like I'm in a FB group with the tech. Just messaged him to arrange a triumphant reunion of man and tool.

Last edited:

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Which means you don’t have it
I 100% have it because today is the second time I've had a repair done under CPO. Y'all out here acting like my entire warranty is voided because maybe some day for some issue I might get TD1'ed. I saved like $400+ today thanks to the warranty I "don't have."

Last edited: