GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Agreed. My car was a CPO and I had to contact VWOA for my 2nd key, and I changed the oil and DSG oil myself and no way they did that as well, lol. Legit just wash it and throw it on lot as a CPO. idk how it’ll work since you reinstalled a tune, but if you have any issues with the specific dealerships just contact VWOA and get a case manager. They will handle your bis for you.
The car could be TD1’ed whether I reinstalled the tune or not. VWOA wanted nothing to do with the case initially. Said to work it out between me and the salespeople.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
The car could be TD1’ed whether I reinstalled the tune or not. VWOA wanted nothing to do with the case initially. Said to work it out between me and the salespeople.
Also, since we're in the endgame now, here's my advice. Go to the Carvana/Carmax websites now and get a free offer based on your vehicle VIN. The offer is good for a month, so if something crazy gets reported on the VIN a few days from now, maybe it slips under the radar. A little nefarious, sure... but so far you've been treated like shit anyway.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion

The question is, did you damage the goodwill that you could potentially have at the selling dealer by taking it to the other dealer to restore the tune. Hopefully you won't need to find out.

My take is battery, alternator, or both.

Mreed055

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I’ve sold 2 cars to Carvana during “COVID times” and got insane value for them for a “trade in”. Would highly recommend.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
The question is, did you damage the goodwill that you could potentially have at the selling dealer by taking it to the other dealer to restore the tune. Hopefully you won't need to find out.

My take is battery, alternator, or both.
I doubt it. They service tuned and modded cars from various places in town all the time. TBD…

Last edited:

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
OK, she's running again! Picking her up this afternoon.

Needed 2 new wheel speed sensors, which certainly would explain some of the issues and lights.

BUT, the stalling/misfiring is still a bit if a mystery. They couldn't get it running right until they flashed the ECU back to stock/took off the tune. They're not sure yet if simply resetting the ECU fixed the issues temporarily, or if the tune and/or plug gap was to blame. Clearing the codes didn't help. He suggested I give it a few days on the stock tune and stock plug gap and see if the issue comes back. If it doesn't, then we can re-visit the tune with the proper plug gap. Going to try to get more details from the tech when I pick it up.

All of it covered under the CPO warranty (minus the $50 deductible).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Shocking. Will be interesting to see what goes on the vehicle history report.
One reason they're a "mod-friendly" dealership is they don't send up whatever scan it is that causes TD1 flags if they can avoid it. And none of the other tune-related stuff they've done has shown on Carfax. It just shows up pretty generic, even though the work order explains what was done.

All of this might be the universe telling me to stay stock 🤣

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
OK, she's running again! Picking her up this afternoon.

Needed 2 new wheel speed sensors, which certainly would explain some of the issues and lights.

BUT, the stalling/misfiring is still a bit if a mystery. They couldn't get it running right until they flashed the ECU back to stock/took off the tune. They're not sure yet if simply resetting the ECU fixed the issues temporarily, or if the tune and/or plug gap was to blame. Clearing the codes didn't help. He suggested I give it a few days on the stock tune and stock plug gap and see if the issue comes back. If it doesn't, then we can re-visit the tune with the proper plug gap. Going to try to get more details from the tech when I pick it up.

All of it covered under the CPO warranty (minus the $50 deductible).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You have mentioned they keep saying the stock spark plug gap and I've yet to see you say what they think the stock gap is.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
You have mentioned they keep saying the stock spark plug gap and I've yet to see you say what they think the stock gap is.
I wasn't able to talk to the actual tech -- just the advisor. But he said the car was on the stock plug gap when I brought it in, which is 100% expected because the car was stock with fresh plugs before the tune. Suggested possibly that was causing issues with the tune. I'm wary of that explanation, but it's not implausible. One other possibility is when they put in the stock plugs a month or so ago, that they were actually gapped a little too big. So to your point, it would be good to confirm they know what it's supposed to be LOL.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
All of this might be the universe telling me to stay stock
Well, it could be a lot of different things. OTS tunes occasionally find a car they don't like with the one-size fits all approach. It could mean you reached some threshold that caused one piece of 6 year old hardware to begin to fail. Regardless of your decision, I would have a troubleshooting approach for what hardware caused your experience before throwing another tune on the car.

Before your initial misfire experience pulling into home, when was the last time you topped up on gas?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm at 22,000 miles with plugs as delivered and gapped on stg 1 EQT. No issues with knock or misfire yet, but my car gets full on Italian tune up once or twice a month.

I'm glad it wasn't catastrophic.