GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Where is the fuel smell coming from?
Good question. It's really hard to tell. I assumed because the car was trying to start but couldn't, that it was just unburned fuel in the exhaust. But I honestly don't know. I don't SEE anything -- like any dripping.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Time to put that CPO warranty to the test.

Actually, I don't recall the outcome of that. Were you able to keep the warranty?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Do you have the car? Pull the motor cover off, plugs, coils, look to see whats up.
Yeah I have it for about another hour until the tow truck gets here. Now the car starter won't even turn. I'm scared to do anything. I don't have the right socket to remove the plugs anyways.

Don't worry about your warranty, they said. Enjoy the tune, they said. It's a reliable car, they said.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Yeah I have it for about another hour until the tow truck gets here. Now the car starter won't even turn. I'm scared to do anything. I don't have the right socket to remove the plugs anyways.

Don't worry about your warranty, they said. Enjoy the tune, they said. It's a reliable car, they said.
Pull the cover, take a picture and post it, could be that something is just loose.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Pull the cover, take a picture and post it, could be that something is just loose.
51BFCBA7-85FD-4AA5-88AA-27CD9D790338.jpeg

F638C92E-F451-469B-A30E-60EA9795106F.jpeg

6379C3B6-C0D6-4E98-A2A9-52F729E9D06E.jpeg

I have been able to determine that the engine is still there.

Last edited:

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I’m noticing the gassy smell persists inside, but it’s not gasoline. It’s gas-ish but almost more solvent-like. I get a whiff outside sometimes too. 🤷‍♂️ FML

Definitely seems to be concentrated more towards the rear of the car, but the wind is shifty so hard to tell,

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I’m noticing the gassy smell persists inside, but it’s not gasoline. It’s gas-ish but almost more solvent-like. I get a whiff outside sometimes too. 🤷‍♂️ FML

Definitely seems to be concentrated more towards the rear of the car, but the wind is shifty so hard to tell,
If you have the stock PCV system the smell you describe sounds more like the smell from that. Any liquid on the ground?

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
If you have the stock PCV system the smell you describe sounds more like the smell from that. Any liquid on the ground?
Yea stock PCV. No liquid that I can notice. Shined a flashlight around the best I could. I think you’re right on the smell, could something be disconnected or leaking I can easily find?

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Just looked at my sensor logs from the drive leading up to this and no obvious anomalies or issues. IATs were a little high considering the 75* day. Car was driving fine beforehand. I am le stumped.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Just looked at my sensor logs from the drive leading up to this and no obvious anomalies or issues. IATs were a little high considering the 75* day. Car was driving fine beforehand. I am le stumped.
So is it being towed to the dealer? Hopefully it's just something came loose. Almost has to be fuel or PCV related to get every cylinder to misfire. I'm hoping for the simplest solution.