GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
In Phoenix the biggest problem is now unmarked cop cars and they don't use radar. They just follow you and clock your speed. They are driving some damn nice looking cars also. Mustang GT's, Dodge Challengers etc with nice wheels. Nothing really to make who they are obvious. No excessive antennas or anything to give them away.

Unmarked cop cars should be illegal.

I don't have any issues with Waze\AA. And in my area, plenty of people still mark things.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Unmarked cop cars should be illegal.

I don't have any issues with Waze\AA. And in my area, plenty of people still mark things.
I agree about the unmarked cop cars. They also should have to follow Arizona's window tint law but they don't. You don't know they are a cop until the lights flash from behind the grill.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Installed OEM splash guards. Pretty easy, great fit, looks nice.
039209A2-E46E-42FD-BA12-4AAE10A71626.jpeg

597E5BD3-8BB5-45E5-B81A-8A26EAE3D20A.jpeg

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I agree about the unmarked cop cars. They also should have to follow Arizona's window tint law but they don't. You don't know they are a cop until the lights flash from behind the grill.
They get around it the same way they can ticket you for being detected speeding by aircraft. It's a spotter under the law or some other loophole. I read some articles about it awhile back.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
In Phoenix the biggest problem is now unmarked cop cars and they don't use radar. They just follow you and clock your speed. They are driving some damn nice looking cars also. Mustang GT's, Dodge Challengers etc with nice wheels. Nothing really to make who they are obvious. No excessive antennas or anything to give them away.

Our local force have nice BMW 5 series as unmarked.....you can only just make out the blue lights behind the grille...

Blueballs

Go Kart Newbie
Well there's been a lot more improvement in detectors the last few years. Our cops rarely use laser, they're a PITA. My neighbor is a cop. I looked at all the its, the various false alert GPS fixes, what our cops used, and bought a Uniden R3. I didn't really need to spend double to have a rear detect feature. First one I've bought since '84. I don't drive in any of the 7 states they're illegal, and don't drive crazy off the highway either. The biggest upgrades for me is the range, plus the ability to filter out the falling and those pesky Honda/Acura side mirror false alerts. Just a new toy which seems fitting. I'll have to see if I can easily hook up to the power in the overhead lights.
Agree. There have been times when I got caught by laser, and got ticketed, while having my Valentine One radar detector, but those times have been very very minimal. Only twice in 7 years. On the other hand, the amount of times my radar has saved me from a cop using radar detection has been well over 100. So it’s worth it to buy a radar detector. It will save you money, time, happiness, sadness, and overall paranoid’ness (yes I just made that word up lol) from simple day to day driving.

Blueballs

Go Kart Newbie
The pitfalls of using laser and instant on are why so many cops don't use it. Obviously it depends on where you are. Waze used to be great, but fewer and fewer people report now to a variety of factors. One being, phone users on CarPlay and Android have reported so many glitches, and report button don't always appear as they once did. Google took it over, Oh My. The data collected is fun, purchases, financial info, contacts, search history, "other data". Detector asks for nothing. LOL Mine will be mostly highway, and I don't drive like crazy in urban areas or neighborhoods.
The problem I have with Waze is the inconsistency of people’s reports. Also, cops move frequently, so a cop might not always be in the spot that someone updated, and Vice Versa. I also don’t want to keep the Waze app open everywhere I go. All in all, it’s a decent app to use if you don’t have a radar detector, but it doesn’t come close to being as accurate as having a physical radar detector.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I just drive slow, haha. Is it not stressful to drive while hoping that your radar detector is good at detecting? Or that Waze(r's) reports are accurate?

One speeding ticket in my life, driving my mom's 1986 Mercedes 420SEL as a senior in high school... Gorgeous (imo, those who dislike orange side reflectors may go blind) car with a V8 making maybe 200hp. I just wanted to feel a car do 85mph, it did and I did.

Then got pulled over on I-10 in Texas in our Corolla doing about 100 about 10 years later, driving cross country while on post deployment vacation. I didn't have any time to waste and I hadn't seen a car in an hour. Then I saw the cop going the other way and subsequently saw the dust cloud as he whipped around through the median 😂. Didn't get a ticket though, just asked to slow down.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Cts catted downpipe to replace my eBay special. Paired with a resonator delete and the stock catback sounds perfect to me. Also installed a power flex dog bone insert, was too easy and added no nvh at all. Did my first oil change on the new engine so I can start logging again. Changed dsg fluid and filter, little different from the dq250 as you have to drain the mechatronics separately and back the overflow tube out slightly when checking level. Changed haldex fluid as well since it had about 20k tuned miles on it.

Supercrumpet

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'19 Alltrack SE 6MT
A week late to post, but last weekend I did autocross for my second time ever, and first time in my Alltrack. Pretty mediocre course, but the organizers didn't have a lot of space to play with. I had a lot of fun though, and I ended up being quicker than expected, relative to the other 80 or so cars that came out. Was a good day, hopefully I can make it to the last one of the year in a few week's time.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
A week late to post, but last weekend I did autocross for my second time ever, and first time in my Alltrack. Pretty mediocre course, but the organizers didn't have a lot of space to play with. I had a lot of fun though, and I ended up being quicker than expected, relative to the other 80 or so cars that came out. Was a good day, hopefully I can make it to the last one of the year in a few week's time.

I won't ever ccomplain about our small parking lot