GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

mrmattolsen

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI DSG
What didnt you like about the APR dsg tune? there are a number of options you can configure about it. I have always hated my stock DSG tune both on my Golf R and my GTI - the sport mode on most DSG tunes is very aggressive, but D is set just perfect.

JB4 is great, I would say if you don't plan to go past stage 1 then its worth it.
My main complaint was APR DSG tune was very aggressive with downshifting when I was coming to a stop, even in D mode. It made it hard to just cruise around smoothly. The shift points were better though, for sure, and I liked that launch control allowed traction control to be on.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Long story short: Bought a CPO car that already had a tune on it but not yet flagged TD1. Dealership is mod-friendly and usually has no problem getting powertrain warranty work done on modded cars that haven't been abused. But they suggested I try the car without the tune and they would do everything they can to ensure any warranty issues that come up are covered (short of guaranteeing it). After much consideration, I decided to cover my butt for the short-term and flash back to stock for now, knowing it's easy to flash back the tune in the future. Overall, the stock car is great. It's fun to be able to hit it hard in 1st and 2nd gear and not just have pure wheelspin. Driving a slow car fast vs. driving a fast car slow, etc. etc. Buuuuut of course I want more power.

Understanding I'm not looking to infinitely upgrade my car to the max... Do I:
  1. Risk the powertrain warranty and add the APR tune back?
    • Pros:
      • It'll only cost me ~$250 for a bit of labor and to transfer the APR license, then I can flash any of the tune variations and the DSG tune.
      • Comprehensive, safe, high quality tune.
    • Cons:
      • The car is 2015 and I don't know that it has a revised turbo, so there's the risk that the turbo goes and I don't have a warranty to cover it.
      • You can't really mess around with the APR tunes.
      • I actually didn't like the APR DSG tune very much, so I might leave it off.
  2. Buy a used JB4 and play around with that until my CPO warranty is up?
    • Pros:
      • Inexpensive and easy (I regularly find them used for under $350)
      • Fun to tweak and mess around with settings.
      • I can tailor the power band in a way that limits low-RPM traction loss.
      • Can be taken off if there's an issue for warranty consideration.
    • Cons:
      • Not as powerful and smooth as a proper tune.
      • Used JB4 won't get the custom map support from George.
I’d stick with the APR tune.

CiDirkona

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK3 TT, MK1 Atlas SE
So, the ones I bought should be a hair smaller than that even, at least the M8 one. The ones linked in my post, up the M8 says it's 0.76", which is 19.3mm. Those are listed at 19.5mm. So literally a hair smaller lol.
Heck yeah, that'll do the trick. I listed the ones I used as I know they'd fit. If yours are even better and more affordable, all the better!

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Heck yeah, that'll do the trick. I listed the ones I used as I know they'd fit. If yours are even better and more affordable, all the better!
Yeah I have the short triple squares he has too but actually after I saw your like I was wishing I found those first lol.

Having the ability to stick an open end ratcheting wrench on those will be great for the super shitty access types of projects.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
Yeah I have the short triple squares he has too but actually after I saw your like I was wishing I found those first lol.

Having the ability to stick an open end ratcheting wrench on those will be great for the super shitty access types of projects.

Damn.

That's definitely an element I didn't think of...

Back to Amazon?

EpicTech

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Long story short: Bought a CPO car that already had a tune on it but not yet flagged TD1. Dealership is mod-friendly and usually has no problem getting powertrain warranty work done on modded cars that haven't been abused. But they suggested I try the car without the tune and they would do everything they can to ensure any warranty issues that come up are covered (short of guaranteeing it). After much consideration, I decided to cover my butt for the short-term and flash back to stock for now, knowing it's easy to flash back the tune in the future. Overall, the stock car is great. It's fun to be able to hit it hard in 1st and 2nd gear and not just have pure wheelspin. Driving a slow car fast vs. driving a fast car slow, etc. etc. Buuuuut of course I want more power.

Understanding I'm not looking to infinitely upgrade my car to the max... Do I:
  1. Risk the powertrain warranty and add the APR tune back?
    • Pros:
      • It'll only cost me ~$250 for a bit of labor and to transfer the APR license, then I can flash any of the tune variations and the DSG tune.
      • Comprehensive, safe, high quality tune.
    • Cons:
      • The car is 2015 and I don't know that it has a revised turbo, so there's the risk that the turbo goes and I don't have a warranty to cover it.
      • You can't really mess around with the APR tunes.
      • I actually didn't like the APR DSG tune very much, so I might leave it off.
  2. Buy a used JB4 and play around with that until my CPO warranty is up?
    • Pros:
      • Inexpensive and easy (I regularly find them used for under $350)
      • Fun to tweak and mess around with settings.
      • I can tailor the power band in a way that limits low-RPM traction loss.
      • Can be taken off if there's an issue for warranty consideration.
    • Cons:
      • Not as powerful and smooth as a proper tune.
      • Used JB4 won't get the custom map support from George.
Simple answer: Do you want to have some fun, or a lot of fun ?

Me: I would (for a flash tune) switch to IE true flex. If you plan to build the car, get a scaling tuning platform like Cobb or Maestro.

mrmattolsen

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI DSG
Simple answer: Do you want to have some fun, or a lot of fun ?

Me: I would (for a flash tune) switch to IE true flex. If you plan to build the car, get a scaling tuning platform like Cobb or Maestro.
Fun. I had the 93 octane high torque tune and it was too much power at times. Impossible to put the power down before 3rd gear. The APR low-torque/high-hp tune appeals to me greatly.

Going with a completely different tune isn't really a viable option for me because it's a much higher expense. No plans to build the car much either.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Fun. I had the 93 octane high torque tune and it was too much power at times. Impossible to put the power down before 3rd gear. The APR low-torque/high-hp tune appeals to me greatly.

Going with a completely different tune isn't really a viable option for me because it's a much higher expense. No plans to build the car much either.

These cars are really good to start with. A stg 1 tune, rear sway bar, decent tires, and a good alignment yields a really capable car.

I will tell you from direct experience, if you decide to lower the car, bite the bullet an buy decent struts/shocks. The factory non DCC just collapse on themselves and bounce around even with a mild increase in rate and mild lowering.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Got Moog endlinks in the mail. Greased them. Are they supposed to be very stiff?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S
Got Moog endlinks in the mail. Greased them. Are they supposed to be very stiff?
Did you flush the green grease out of them? The boots will inflate and they have a relief slit in the side. If you're afraid it's going to burst try moving it side to side and it should open up the relief slit. There a little stiff at first, but not so bad you can't move the joints around by hand.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Did you flush the green grease out of them? The boots will inflate and they have a relief slit in the side. If you're afraid it's going to burst try moving it side to side and it should open up the relief slit. There a little stiff at first, but not so bad you can't move the joints around by hand.

I can move the joints by hand. The thing is, the grease i'm using is also green. :) So can't really tell which grease it is that's coming out. The release valves are working fine, plus I'm using a non-pressurized hand grease gun, so not afraid to damage the boots.