GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
That's what I would have thought as well.

I don't really understand the lengthy delay either. As you indicated, they have a library of files for different setups to serve as base maps at this point. It is a manual process to set up each file for your AP serial number, but it still results in a long wait to just get started with the base map. FWIW I just went through the process over the last 4 weeks and once you have the base map, Nick was spot on with responses within 7 days.

The only thing that makes sense to me, is they don't want too many "in progress" tunes going on at once. The more base files that are out there, the more revisions that are flying back in, and can cause Nick to get overloaded. Personally, I'd rather get the base file and be told "Ok, here's the base file. But your tuning slot won't be up until ___ date, so don't send in any logs before that.". That way I could at least get the hardware installed. But I can understand why they wouldn't want to do that.

So much easier to pay the extra cost and just get the remote dyno tune and be done in less than 3 hours.

You don't even need to get a dyno, you can do a live tuning session with Ed on the road, as long as you have a way to communicate back and forth. It's still just scheduling with him and paying for it. Even going that route though, it'd still be waiting weeks to get it done.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Man, I wish I had seen this before putting in my IS38. I broke mine and barely made it to the VW dealership before they closed for the weekend.

Also, just to reiterate the need for these, the m8 Triple Squares need to be SHORT and NARROW!
I recommend these, even though they're a hair expensive. I ended up borrowing one from a friend after several HOURS of trying to get my normal sized 3/8" triple squares to work.

https://amz.run/4yEg

The oil return line M8 triple square needs to be NARROW and/or SUPER LONG to get past the wastegate rod. A 3/8" ratchet triple square won't work.

The coolant line M8 triple square on the front of the turbo needs to be SHORT to fit between the turbo and the exhaust inlet manifold.

The ones I got in are definitely short and narrow lol. Here's the M8 triple square and T20 torx that I got in, compared to what I already had lol

1634231815261.png

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Just going to stick some googly eyes on the Vortex when it comes in tomorrow, and let it chill on my desk as my work companion...

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Easier yes, but at a much greater expense. +$200 on top of whatever your custom tune costs to live tune with Ed + whatever the dyno operator charges for the time so it could be in upwards of an additional $500 to dyno tune.

I was lucky to have a new bypass open up near me that's still under construction but available for use for a 6 mile stretch so I was really the only car on the road when I did my runs in the early morning hours.

Finding roads to get good logs was the hardest part of the remote tune when I built my STR Miata.

The next hardest part was realizing the car was still painfully slow even after intake, header, race exhaust, tune, and now it was unbearable on the street. 🤣

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Finding roads to get good logs was the hardest part of the remote tune when I built my STR Miata.

The next hardest part was realizing the car was still painfully slow even after intake, header, race exhaust, tune, and now it was unbearable on the street. 🤣

There's a mostly unused highway connector not to far from me that's good for that. I knew where it was, but I didn't even think of using it for pulls until Hoon mentioned it was a placed he used for his logging and tuning.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Long story short: Bought a CPO car that already had a tune on it but not yet flagged TD1. Dealership is mod-friendly and usually has no problem getting powertrain warranty work done on modded cars that haven't been abused. But they suggested I try the car without the tune and they would do everything they can to ensure any warranty issues that come up are covered (short of guaranteeing it). After much consideration, I decided to cover my butt for the short-term and flash back to stock for now, knowing it's easy to flash back the tune in the future. Overall, the stock car is great. It's fun to be able to hit it hard in 1st and 2nd gear and not just have pure wheelspin. Driving a slow car fast vs. driving a fast car slow, etc. etc. Buuuuut of course I want more power.

Understanding I'm not looking to infinitely upgrade my car to the max... Do I:
  1. Risk the powertrain warranty and add the APR tune back?
    • Pros:
      • It'll only cost me ~$250 for a bit of labor and to transfer the APR license, then I can flash any of the tune variations and the DSG tune.
      • Comprehensive, safe, high quality tune.
    • Cons:
      • The car is 2015 and I don't know that it has a revised turbo, so there's the risk that the turbo goes and I don't have a warranty to cover it.
      • You can't really mess around with the APR tunes.
      • I actually didn't like the APR DSG tune very much, so I might leave it off.
  2. Buy a used JB4 and play around with that until my CPO warranty is up?
    • Pros:
      • Inexpensive and easy (I regularly find them used for under $350)
      • Fun to tweak and mess around with settings.
      • I can tailor the power band in a way that limits low-RPM traction loss.
      • Can be taken off if there's an issue for warranty consideration.
    • Cons:
      • Not as powerful and smooth as a proper tune.
      • Used JB4 won't get the custom map support from George.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Long story short: Bought a CPO car that already had a tune on it but not yet flagged TD1. Dealership is mod-friendly and usually has no problem getting powertrain warranty work done on modded cars that haven't been abused. But they suggested I try the car without the tune and they would do everything they can to ensure any warranty issues that come up are covered (short of guaranteeing it). After much consideration, I decided to cover my butt for the short-term and flash back to stock for now, knowing it's easy to flash back the tune. Overall, the stock car is great. It's fun to be able to hit it hard in 1st and 2nd gear and not just have pure wheelspin. Driving a slow car fast vs. driving a fast car slow, etc. etc. Buuuuut of course I want more power.

• Pros:
      • It'll only cost me ~$250 for a bit of labor and to transfer the APR license, then I can flash any of the tune variations and the DSG tune.
    • Cons:
      • The car is 2015 and I don't know that it has a revised turbo, so there's the risk that the turbo goes and I don't have a warranty to cover it.
  2. Buy a used JB4 and play around with that until by CPO warranty is up?
    • Pros:
    • Cons:
What didnt you like about the APR dsg tune? there are a number of options you can configure about it. I have always hated my stock DSG tune both on my Golf R and my GTI - the sport mode on most DSG tunes is very aggressive, but D is set just perfect.

JB4 is great, I would say if you don't plan to go past stage 1 then its worth it.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
What didnt you like about the APR dsg tune? there are a number of options you can configure about it. I have always hated my stock DSG tune both on my Golf R and my GTI - the sport mode on most DSG tunes is very aggressive, but D is set just perfect.

JB4 is great, I would say if you don't plan to go past stage 1 then its worth it.
My main complaint was APR DSG tune was very aggressive with downshifting when I was coming to a stop, even in D mode. It made it hard to just cruise around smoothly. The shift points were better though, for sure, and I liked that launch control allowed traction control to be on.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Long story short: Bought a CPO car that already had a tune on it but not yet flagged TD1. Dealership is mod-friendly and usually has no problem getting powertrain warranty work done on modded cars that haven't been abused. But they suggested I try the car without the tune and they would do everything they can to ensure any warranty issues that come up are covered (short of guaranteeing it). After much consideration, I decided to cover my butt for the short-term and flash back to stock for now, knowing it's easy to flash back the tune in the future. Overall, the stock car is great. It's fun to be able to hit it hard in 1st and 2nd gear and not just have pure wheelspin. Driving a slow car fast vs. driving a fast car slow, etc. etc. Buuuuut of course I want more power.

• Pros:
    • Cons:
  2. Buy a used JB4 and play around with that until my CPO warranty is up?
    • Pros:
    • Cons:
I’d stick with the APR tune.

CiDirkona

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK3 TT, MK1 Atlas SE
So, the ones I bought should be a hair smaller than that even, at least the M8 one. The ones linked in my post, up the M8 says it's 0.76", which is 19.3mm. Those are listed at 19.5mm. So literally a hair smaller lol.
Heck yeah, that'll do the trick. I listed the ones I used as I know they'd fit. If yours are even better and more affordable, all the better!

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Heck yeah, that'll do the trick. I listed the ones I used as I know they'd fit. If yours are even better and more affordable, all the better!
Yeah I have the short triple squares he has too but actually after I saw your like I was wishing I found those first lol.

Having the ability to stick an open end ratcheting wrench on those will be great for the super shitty access types of projects.