GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

RisingFallens

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI!
334AB0A9-6443-4945-8A26-024211681CA9.jpeg

Just some minor little things tonight, since the wife is at dinner 😈 BUT in other news @Chet Ubetcha prototype diffuser has had about 4-5k miles of torture, and is still very happy.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
So I had a shop that’s quite reputable in my area install a downpipe for me. When I went to pickup they told me everything had gone well except for a little thing…the downpipe wasn’t connected to the exhaust. I thought the clamp I had on there was 3” from when I changed my resonator but it wasn’t, so they weren’t able to secure the downpipe to the rest of the exhaust. While I’m feeling dumb for not checking that beforehand, I’m more annoyed that they didn’t just call me when they discovered the issue and let me know instead of having to find out at pickup. I know the shop is capable of a lot more difficult work, so I would imagine they’d have a 3” connector lying around somewhere. Hell at the very least if they’d called I could’ve grabbed one at O’Reillys and ran it over. Instead I picked up the car and felt like a clown driving home with my dumped exhaust. Need to go pickup a clamp tonight and see if I can slide it on without much difficulty, otherwise it’s back to an exhaust shop. Am I wrong to feel a bit pissed here? As it stands I don’t plan on bringing the car back for the foreseeable future.
E206D6E2-7038-4F37-8B5A-EB34A936585E.jpeg
1E0820D3-091C-49F8-A48F-33F2A36A1542.jpeg

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
So I had a shop that’s quite reputable in my area install a downpipe for me. When I went to pickup they told me everything had gone well except for a little thing…the downpipe wasn’t connected to the exhaust. I thought the clamp I had on there was 3” from when I changed my resonator but it wasn’t, so they weren’t able to secure the downpipe to the rest of the exhaust. While I’m feeling dumb for not checking that beforehand, I’m more annoyed that they didn’t just call me when they discovered the issue and let me know instead of having to find out at pickup. I know the shop is capable of a lot more difficult work, so I would imagine they’d have a 3” connector lying around somewhere. Hell at the very least if they’d called I could’ve grabbed one at O’Reillys and ran it over. Instead I picked up the car and felt like a clown driving home with my dumped exhaust. Need to go pickup a clamp tonight and see if I can slide it on without much difficulty, otherwise it’s back to an exhaust shop. Am I wrong to feel a bit pissed here? As it stands I don’t plan on bringing the car back for the foreseeable future. View attachment 226187View attachment 226188
"Everything went well except a little thing" LOL. You absolutely have a point. Did you make a mistake? Sure, but for them to just not say anything and just send it like that over a clamp is lazy. As you said, you could have gotten one from O'Rileys and it would have been solved. I'd vote with my wallet and not bring the car back there.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
So I had a shop that’s quite reputable in my area install a downpipe for me. When I went to pickup they told me everything had gone well except for a little thing…the downpipe wasn’t connected to the exhaust. I thought the clamp I had on there was 3” from when I changed my resonator but it wasn’t, so they weren’t able to secure the downpipe to the rest of the exhaust. While I’m feeling dumb for not checking that beforehand, I’m more annoyed that they didn’t just call me when they discovered the issue and let me know instead of having to find out at pickup. I know the shop is capable of a lot more difficult work, so I would imagine they’d have a 3” connector lying around somewhere. Hell at the very least if they’d called I could’ve grabbed one at O’Reillys and ran it over. Instead I picked up the car and felt like a clown driving home with my dumped exhaust. Need to go pickup a clamp tonight and see if I can slide it on without much difficulty, otherwise it’s back to an exhaust shop. Am I wrong to feel a bit pissed here? As it stands I don’t plan on bringing the car back for the foreseeable future.

That crap is annoying. It's little details like that that piss me off to where I just don't trust shops nowadays. If they're willing to let that roll out the door as their "quality" work, what else are they willing to scrimp on? From my perspective, I'm sure you would have gladly paid them the few extra $$ to get it right the first time. I mean that's what you would expect taking it to "professionals".

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
So I had a shop that’s quite reputable in my area install a downpipe for me. When I went to pickup they told me everything had gone well except for a little thing…the downpipe wasn’t connected to the exhaust. I thought the clamp I had on there was 3” from when I changed my resonator but it wasn’t, so they weren’t able to secure the downpipe to the rest of the exhaust. While I’m feeling dumb for not checking that beforehand, I’m more annoyed that they didn’t just call me when they discovered the issue and let me know instead of having to find out at pickup. I know the shop is capable of a lot more difficult work, so I would imagine they’d have a 3” connector lying around somewhere. Hell at the very least if they’d called I could’ve grabbed one at O’Reillys and ran it over. Instead I picked up the car and felt like a clown driving home with my dumped exhaust. Need to go pickup a clamp tonight and see if I can slide it on without much difficulty, otherwise it’s back to an exhaust shop. Am I wrong to feel a bit pissed here? As it stands I don’t plan on bringing the car back for the foreseeable future. View attachment 226187View attachment 226188

Not sure what a 3” clamp would help, the downpipe is 3” outlet and the CBE has a reducer welded on.

It appears to be one of my early V1 DPs.

No way any shop should let it out the door like that.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
That crap is annoying. It's little details like that that piss me off to where I just don't trust shops nowadays. If they're willing to let that roll out the door as their "quality" work, what else are they willing to scrimp on? From my perspective, I'm sure you would have gladly paid them the few extra $$ to get it right the first time. I mean that's what you would expect taking it to "professionals".
Always this! I can't stand cutting corners like this, especially ones that are simple fixes but with large impact. And if the simple fix is not immediately available let the customer know as soon as you find the issue. Let the customer choose how/when to address it instead of waiting for them to come pick up the car. Now you have to go back to the shop again. I value time more than money.

Two dealer visits ago they left all the small torx screws off of my OEM skid tray. They installed the large hex bolts (that do most of the work) but left the washers off two of those :cautious: :mad:. Simple thing is put everything in a screw bag/cup/magnetic bowl or whatever as you pull them out. But when that wasn't done they couldn't be bothered to replace seven $0.60 cent screws. Screws I'm sure they have laying around (from the cars of other folks, haha). The washers were an addition per @golfdave's thread... but they put all of them back except two 🤷‍♂️.

It happens that I know I wasn't missing screws when I dropped the car off. But after they lost them they could have just replaced them and told me they were rusted/stripped on removal. Even knowing that wasn't true I would have paid the (less than) $5 to have them replaced. They could have just told me they lost the two washers... I would have replaced them on my own time.

Instead I find all these things missing only because I put the car on jacks to rotate wheels/tires. Which they also didn't do because they didn't have a deep 17mm (stud conversion). Which is another thing they didn't tell me until I got there. Naturally, I keep the deep 17mm in a hole I drilled in the spare tire tool foam. This is the logical place to look, imo, but one call and I would have told them to just check the hatch.

They replaced my strut mounts and passenger front hub/bearing assembly at the same time (warranty work, thankfully), but how am I supposed to trust that workmanship?

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Not sure what a 3” clamp would help, the downpipe is 3” outlet and the CBE has a reducer welded on.

It appears to be one of my early V1 DPs.

No way any shop should let it out the door like that.
You are correct that it’s one of your V1 versions. I thought I was looking at the beginning of the vibrant resonator, thanks for pointing out its a reducer on the stock exhaust. These are photos shop included in invoice so haven’t been able to look under myself yet.

Trying to find a local shop that has time to patch this up today…would really like to get this fixed ASAP.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
You are correct that it’s one of your V1 versions. I thought I was looking at the beginning of the vibrant resonator, thanks for pointing out its a reducer on the stock exhaust. These are photos shop included in invoice so haven’t been able to look under myself yet.

Trying to find a local shop that has time to patch this up today…would really like to get this fixed ASAP.

Can you try finding a lap joint band clamp locally?

1632505033506.png

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Installed AWE Track Edition exhaust in my mother's driveway. Definitely helps to have a buddy to hold stuff while the other bolts in down... It's paired to the stock downpipe so it is VERY tame but I honestly love it. I didn't want anything overly loud or to piss my neighbors off every morning when I turn it on to go to work. It has a super clean sound. When you get on it, that super clean sound just gets more deep. It's perfect in my opinion. It may get louder over I think they say 800 miles but if were maintaining this tone, I'd be happy. The tips are beautiful as well.
It's going to get louder and more aggressive as it breaks in. Mine sounded completely different after a couple weeks of driving, but in a really good way. Nice burbles and a deep tone