GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Installed half a rally armor mud flap kit. The design of this kit is, at best, function over form. The brackets that come with the kit require bending at each stage, then the flaps have extensive gapping on the fender. I’m sure it looks good on a black car (or red if you like SuBaRu BaStArDs rEd MuD FlaPs) but on white it looks bad.

For the fronts I ended up using a couple bits of hardware I had lying about, and some bits from the kit to get a perfect flush fit.... oh and I had to trim a bit off the front flap.

572BADFD-08C0-464F-A79F-7BF730D15E52.jpeg

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
RIP that LPFP
You mean that pump in the gas tank? It was not empty yet. It was just saying a zero range for couple of miles. Done many times more than 50miles with zero range on Škoda Superb in the past and never had issues with fuel supply. VAG is very generous in term of fuel reserve indicator. I think that Passat holds some record in this ridiculous eco rally.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I can’t prove that this is truly a thing or an old wives tale. But apparently u don’t want to go below an 1/8 tank of gas due to added stress on the in tank low pressure fuel pump. As a result, our metric using brother got almost 14 gallons in on a fill up. If the old wives tale is true, it’s bad for the in tank pump.

most I’ve ever pumped was maybe 7-8 gallons. I’d run my flex fuel Wrx to a 1/4 tank occasionally because I was gonna fill up with e85. But I’d never go lower than that
Not a wives tale. Fuel cools the pump, consistently running it low can shorten the life of the pump.
In college, I used to forget to look at my gauge all the time and I ran my tank dry like 3 or 4 times on the same 2015 GTI. Never had a CEL, but come to think of it that car always had what felt like fueling issues. It always got bad mileage for a GTI. I could go 65 in cruise for an hour and hand calc 31 mpg. Normal MK7 GTIs get 38-40 going 65. And when I went Uni Stage 1 91 running 93 octane, my car would go into limp mode every time I hit 120MPH @ WOT.

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
Installed half a rally armor mud flap kit. The design of this kit is, at best, function over form. The brackets that come with the kit require bending at each stage, then the flaps have extensive gapping on the fender. I’m sure it looks good on a black car (or red if you like SuBaRu BaStArDs rEd MuD FlaPs) but on white it looks bad.

For the fronts I ended up using a couple bits of hardware I had lying about, and some bits from the kit to get a perfect flush fit.... oh and I had to trim a bit off the front flap.

View attachment 215420
I just installed these on a black car last week and I get what you are saying about the gap. It's not too noticeable on my car because of the color, but on a white car that gap would stick out like a sore thumb.

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
I can’t prove that this is truly a thing or an old wives tale. But apparently u don’t want to go below an 1/8 tank of gas due to added stress on the in tank low pressure fuel pump. As a result, our metric using brother got almost 14 gallons in on a fill up. If the old wives tale is true, it’s bad for the in tank pump.

most I’ve ever pumped was maybe 7-8 gallons. I’d run my flex fuel Wrx to a 1/4 tank occasionally because I was gonna fill up with e85. But I’d never go lower than that
I have always thought this since I first got my license. When I was 16, some dude told me that it was bad to go below an 1/8th of a tank because it start to suck dirt and other crud in. At the time, it sounded legit, so ever since I have never let me cars get too low on fuel. My wife, on the other, drives on fumes all the time. It pisses me off so much when on the off chance I do have to drive her car, I get in and it's on E and I have to fill it up before I do anything......you would think she would stay on top of this since she is the one that actually has to drive to work on a daily basis lol.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
In college, I used to forget to look at my gauge all the time and I ran my tank dry like 3 or 4 times on the same 2015 GTI. Never had a CEL, but come to think of it that car always had what felt like fueling issues. It always got bad mileage for a GTI. I could go 65 in cruise for an hour and hand calc 31 mpg. Normal MK7 GTIs get 38-40 going 65. And when I went Uni Stage 1 91 running 93 octane, my car would go into limp mode every time I hit 120MPH @ WOT.
Oh wow u think it was due to the pump being damaged?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
You mean that pump in the gas tank? It was not empty yet. It was just saying a zero range for couple of miles. Done many times more than 50miles with zero range on Škoda Superb in the past and never had issues with fuel supply. VAG is very generous in term of fuel reserve indicator. I think that Passat holds some record in this ridiculous eco rally.

Yes, the LPFP (low pressure fuel pump) is the one in the tank.

Back in 2011 when I had a Mk6 I used to run it down to 0 miles till empty pretty regularly to add a few gallons of race fuel and run my 100 octane file. It took about two years of that to burn up the LPFP.

These days I normally fill up by a 1/4 tank at the absolute latest. Given my commute it’s actually more convenient to fill up at a 1/2 tank the way my days off and my preferred gas station are situated. The Mk7 is known for having fuel starvation issues with less than 1/3 tank while driving aggressively. The fuel sloshing around can allow the pump to draw air and in tern the engine can run lean (ask HOON, his car almost blew up because this happened).

Anyway those are two good reasons to fill up more often. Just cheap insurance since you’ll be buying the same amount of gas anyway. In my experience it’s just always paid keep it well fueled and issue free

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
I just installed these on a black car last week and I get what you are saying about the gap. It's not too noticeable on my car because of the color, but on a white car that gap would stick out like a sore thumb.

Maybe I’ll do a write up sometime. Basically I tossed the metal brackets in the bin. Then trimmed a bit and tucked the flap behind the splash guard. Drilled two holes, used the spacers from the back set, and some extra hardware.
48F4513E-467F-47F9-838A-E11B169A4AD9.jpeg

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Rotated my tires. The fronts definitely weren't gonna last another 5k miles up front, but I might be able to get another 5k out of the set now that they're rotated. I was a little worried about my hub rings. I didn't grease them or anything when I put the wheels on last year, so I wasn't sure what to expect today. It wasn't too bad though, everything came apart fairly easily even with a little rust. I greased them up pretty good today too. Also installed my rear audi jack pads finally.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I'm over half a million miles in various cars and never fill up with more than a gallon left in the tank and have never had a single fuel pump issue.

I call shenanigans on that one.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
This is the first car I've kept a little journal on all the important stuff.

1622487490944.png

Attachments

• 1622487291260.png
    1622487291260.png
    44.7 KB · Views: 59

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S