GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Yesterday Took it in for an alignment. drives great, but might get a second opinion. Tech told me factory spec was -1.9 camber. for some reason he could not hit that target. he asked if I would be ok with -2.5 camber. other than sway bars, my suspension is stock. I didn't think you could get that much from stock. I asked for a print out, but they said they do not do print outside. Idk....

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I saw dumb and dumber the other night and it still kills me like the day I first saw it.
It's a cult classic.....it will never wear out. "Mock....YEAH! ING....YEAH!"......love that movie

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Yesterday Took it in for an alignment. drives great, but might get a second opinion. Tech told me factory spec was -1.9 camber. for some reason he could not hit that target. he asked if I would be ok with -2.5 camber. other than sway bars, my suspension is stock. I didn't think you could get that much from stock. I asked for a print out, but they said they do not do print outside. Idk....

That's way too much camber and impossible with a stock unmodified suspension, go to a different shop, they don't know what they are doing... Camber isn't even adjustable in the front and in the rear they need to shift the subframe around... I would not have the working in my car..... Camber should be around 1.2°-1.4° in the front and 1.7°-1.8° in the rear.....

For Toe, the stock alignment asks for some toe in but everyone here usually does neutral toe, I would ask for as close as possible to neutral but slight toe in, I have 0.04° in the front and 0.08° in the rear of mine....a little more in the rear for safety and better straight-line stability / less wandering steering.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

You're on stock suspension? You'll be lucky to see -1 in front and factory is -1.5 to -1.8 in the rear.

Lager_Ace

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
My last 2 alignments... Note they are using 2 different measurements, the first one was at Smith VW in Delaware, great dealer....

They used degree minutes, so for example the very first measurement, the left front camber 1°11', that is 11/60 or 1.18° of camber... 1°31' is 1.52°

The second is my local shop in Miami, Novitech, they are using decimals....

2016 MK7 Golf R, 19 Cadiz (15mm spacers) - Stock suspension alignment:

Alignment Golf R - Dec 2019.jpg
1620314397665.png

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Well, today I completed spending a ridiculous amount of money on a purely cosmetic brake upgrade.

Porsche Macan Calipers: $462.30
TechnaFit Brake Lines: $70.45
StopTech Sport Drilled & Slotted Front Rotors: $314.30
StopTech Sport Drilled & Slotted Rear Rotors (since they gotta be matchy matchy): $171.32
Power Stop Z26-1001 Front Pads: $69.89
Power Stop Z26-1779 Rear Pads: $53.47
Motive Power Bleeder System: $74.96
Pentosin Super Dot4 Fluid (3L, probably way more than necessary): $28.56
White 'GTI' High Temp Decals: $6.34
Red Rubber Grease: $12.79

@GTIfan99 was a super bro and hooked me up with the G2 paint kit he didn't use, so that at least saved me an additional $70.

If anybody is around RI and wants a set of non-PP 312/272 drilled & slotted black coated R1 Concepts rotors that are a year old with ~10k miles on them (plenty of life left), they can have them for pretty cheap.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Well, today I completed spending a ridiculous amount of money on a purely cosmetic brake upgrade.

StopTech Sport Drilled & Slotted Rear Rotors (since they gotta be matchy matchy): $171.32

@GTIfan99 was a super bro and hooked me up with the G2 paint kit he didn't use, so that at least saved me an additional $70.

If anybody is around RI and wants a set of non-PP 312/272 drilled & slotted black coated R1 Concepts rotors that are a year old with ~10k miles on them (plenty of life left), they can have them for pretty cheap.

If find a buyer for your old setup, the macan setup becomes pretty reasonably.

I'm on my way to mail the paint now.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
That's a steal of a deal for a BBK. under 1200 if you take away the cost of things that you needed anyway.

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
Just ordered some Michelin PS4S tires, oem size. Still have to install the Bilstein B8s and DG springs, hopefully do it all at once and get an alignment the next day.

Already have an H&R 24mm rear sway on. Should be fun on some nice roads this summer.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Everything looks unadjustable to me, where did you see this?

View attachment 212708
Sorry I initially deleted the post before this responds cause I realized that the R could be different.

now with the attached parts shown... what I said stands. Lol

both the upper and lower arms use eccentric bolts. That’s how you adjust them, the lower arms bolt mainly affects the toe but the upper arm seccentric is higher up and hidden but can greatly alter the camber even with its small adjustment window from a eccentric bolt.

this was done with none adjustable arms on the rear of my car, i have physically adjusted these bolts also when I was doing the diy tape measure and budget camber gauge setting so I could get it on the road for a few days till the tech had time.

718EF73C-8E72-45C1-B4F9-887CD62C92D6.jpeg

Last edited:

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
I see, thanks for the explanation! My shop did do this apparently, as they increased the camber in the rear of my MkV back then to fit wide wheels.... It was pretty slammed on coils
But I always hear here "shifting the rear subframe" so I wasn't so sure if they really could increase / actually adjust the camber... Now I know how, and I guess they did after all!

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP

That white decal pushed you over the edge.