GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I got to drive her today. 57 degrees outside. Car felt good.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
A new windshield due to a rock crack. This also included a sensor re-calibration and a 4-wheel alignment for some reason.
What options do you have? If it's just a sensor, they're full of shit and soaking you.

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
What options do you have? If it's just a sensor, they're full of shit and soaking you.

Insurance covered it all so I didn't argue (I wasn't even aware of the wheel alignment until I got the paperwork at checkout) - I just had a $100 out of pocket glass deductible

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Installed my SportShifters kit.

Attachments

• P1050743.JPG
    P1050743.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 95

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Insurance covered it all so I didn't argue (I wasn't even aware of the wheel alignment until I got the paperwork at checkout) - I just had a $100 out of pocket glass deductible
Who did the work?

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
Who did the work?

The windshield was done by a local highly recommended indy shop. The re-calibration was done by the local VW dealer. The glass shop when working with the insurance company for approvals (I was on the call with them) stated that the sensors would need reset and got approval to have the car taken to the VW dealer where their mobile truck would go and replace the windshield and then turn the car over to the dealer for the sensor work. Insurance didn't question anything and so I figured it was just the front facing sensors behind the rear view mirror that was being reset. It wasn't until I picked the car up and read the paperwork that I realized that the did a 4-wheel alignment as part of the process.

I did see a post from a while back from B6TURBOWAGON who IIRC owns a glass shop that the wheel alignment is actually part of the "VW" sensor reset process.

https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/wi...-camera-recalibration.9360137/#post-113865273

It's not a big deal, just caught me by surprise that it was part of having the sensors re-calibrated.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The windshield was done by a local highly recommended indy shop. The re-calibration was done by the local VW dealer. The glass shop when working with the insurance company for approvals (I was on the call with them) stated that the sensors would need reset and got approval to have the car taken to the VW dealer where their mobile truck would go and replace the windshield and then turn the car over to the dealer for the sensor work. Insurance didn't question anything and so I figured it was just the front facing sensors behind the rear view mirror that was being reset. It wasn't until I picked the car up and read the paperwork that I realized that the did a 4-wheel alignment as part of the process.

I did see a post from a while back from B6TURBOWAGON who IIRC owns a glass shop that the wheel alignment is actually part of the "VW" sensor reset process.

https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/wi...-camera-recalibration.9360137/#post-113865273

It's not a big deal, just caught me by surprise that it was part of having the sensors re-calibrated.
Not needed if your just have the rain sensor, but glad your insurance paid for all of it.

Did he order OEM glass?

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
Not needed if your just have the rain sensor, but glad your insurance paid for all of it.

Did he order OEM glass?

Yes, OEM glass was used, I insisted on it when I couldn't locate a local source for Sekurit/Saint Goblain glass.

Thx

Last edited:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Do you plan to replace the OEM strut mounts and bearings? I know there’s a lot of TTY hardware that I’ll replace when I do mine but getting new mounts and bearings adds more than $200 to the overall project and I don’t even know if it’s necessary.

it’s necessary if you want it done right.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Did he order OEM glass?
What about emergency collision braking?
I think that's why it needed the alignment not the rain sensor.