GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

jmp4golfvw

Ready to race!
But in other news, I finally got my windows tinted. SunTek CXP. 45% all around and 70% on the windshield. They even did the quarter windows. A little more debris in the windshield than I'd like but we'll see how it looks after all of the moisture evaporates. Worst case, they redo it. The other windows look great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you like the CXP? I have the same thing, including the 70% on the windshield and I'm very happy with the results. I went through the first part of last summer w/o tint and the second half w/, the difference in the temp inside the car was night and day. Being in the south and a black car, tint was a necessity...

I actually had the same problem w/ debris in the windshield and the tint shop I used re-did it for me, it's now perfect!

RadioFlyer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GSX-Rs
Tires, tyres, tars...

Got new Michelins PSSs installed last night.

Gotta love fresh rubber....just made last month. :cool:

While I had the rims off I dusted the brake calipers.

quality_sound

hmm.......
Car(s)
'21 GTI S DSG
How do you like the CXP? I have the same thing, including the 70% on the windshield and I'm very happy with the results. I went through the first part of last summer w/o tint and the second half w/, the difference in the temp inside the car was night and day. Being in the south and a black car, tint was a necessity...

I actually had the same problem w/ debris in the windshield and the tint shop I used re-did it for me, it's now perfect!

Well it hasn't been really warm here since I had it done but instead of having the temp in the car in the upper 60s I can leave it in the low 70s. I think I'm going to like it quite a bit.

I have a very large German Shepherd and I didn't vacuum the car before they worked on it. There are only two hairs in the film and I'm ok with that, but the debris is a bit much. It's only been a few days though so we'll see how it looks after it dries out.

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
But in other news, I finally got my windows tinted. SunTek CXP. 45% all around and 70% on the windshield. They even did the quarter windows. A little more debris in the windshield than I'd like but we'll see how it looks after all of the moisture evaporates. Worst case, they redo it. The other windows look great.

I recently got Huper Optik 35% and kind of wish I got 40 or 45% as it's a bit darker than I would have liked.

shauno

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW Golf MkV GTI
I've got 25% on my front windows, and then 50% on top of the privacy glass at the rear, which gives an even match all around.

No tinting on the windscreen, that's a pretty bad idea!

jmp4golfvw

Ready to race!
No tinting on the windscreen, that's a pretty bad idea!

Not talking about tint, we were referring to a 70% VLT film which is about 3 or 4% less than the windshield is with nothing on it and it makes a world of difference as far as total heat rejection is concerned, especially in really hot climates.

Just think people think "tint" on my windshield that's so crazy...with the quality films they make now you can get a lot of performance out of a very light film. To each his/her own [emoji6]

quality_sound

hmm.......
Car(s)
'21 GTI S DSG
Not talking about tint, we were referring to a 70% VLT film which is about 3 or 4% less than the windshield is with nothing on it and it makes a world of difference as far as total heat rejection is concerned, especially in really hot climates.

Just think people think "tint" on my windshield that's so crazy...with the quality films they make now you can get a lot of performance out of a very light film. To each his/her own [emoji6]

Exactly. It's basically unnoticeable. There are some 80% films but it'll depend on what your installer carries.
As noted above, the heat rejection difference is ridiculous.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I am one of those unfortunate souls that lives in a front plate free state that bought used from a state that had front plates. :(

Shaving and respraying the bumper is no bueno due to cost and this car already has a few scratches here and there since it was used (also it has swirl marks all over). It's no show car but the front plate mount is massive and unsightly. Had to go. The holes are also glaringly obvious. A euro plate mount plus plate would still be spendy (and I may end up doing this if these don't hold up).

image by Diggs24, on Flickr

So I found this guy that has a decent solution:

https://www.instagram.com/p/wrJ303j8Dj/

He had 3 already painted Tornado Red. They are held in by a nut and the screw is notched on the end so you can hold the nut and fine tune the depth with a flathead screwdriver.

So I put them in tonight. It's not perfect but with the DAP sensors already in the bumper it isn't too bad because there are other round holes all over. The left hole was bored slightly too big so I had to hot glue the nut and set it fast then smeared silicone caulk all over the nut edges to keep it there and keep the elements out (all sorts of nasty dirt and bugs fell out when I pulled the bumper).

Pardon the dirty car.

Close-up

Top down....not quite flush (that left one just wouldn't sit right) but it's not bad. Best I could do for now.

Pulling the bumper would be easier with 2 people, but it's just me here tonight and I wanted it done. Yep that's a coat on some boards, hamster bedding, and a pile of books. Kids crap comes in handy.

Finished.

And a LP shot for the heck of it. See that pile of dirt to the left? Yep, came out of the bumper.

Yay? Nay? I still have to fill and paint those 2 small holes where the plate screws went in too far. :mad: I'll tackle that another day.