GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

c31561

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
So a couple of weeks ago I was under the car and noted some streaks on the oil pan. Being pink, it was not a hard guess what was going on, possible water pump leak. Checked the coolant tank and well below normal. Only 45,000 miles. Well known issue that I probably could have gone to dealer to have repaired under warranty. I have never let the dealer touch my car, except for recalls, so I really didn't want to start now. Plus I wanted an opportunity to check on the carbon build up.

Quite the procedure to get the intake off to easily access the water pump / thermostat, but got it done in a couple hours. Found the leak coming from the thermostat housing, not unusual for the MQB platform. Replaced the assembly then checked the carbon fouling. Cylinder 1 & 2 (counting from drivers side) were not to bad but 3 & 4 were pretty caked. Rotated the crank till the valves were closed and went to town with carburetor cleaner, a small scraper, and a handy shop-vac. Cleaned all the cylinders, vacuumed out the debris, then installed the intake again. Not as nice as walnut blasting, but it will work. Finished up the rest of the re-assembly, burped the coolant system, and took for a test drive.

Happy the car does not leak, not sure I really notice a difference on power. Will hit the interstate tomorrow.

Attachments

• Coolant leak.jpg
    Coolant leak.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 175
  • throttle plates.jpg
    throttle plates.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 174
  • Cyl 3 Before and after.jpg
    Cyl 3 Before and after.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 176
  • Cyl 4 Before and after.jpg
    Cyl 4 Before and after.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 178

Agray

Go Kart Champion
So a couple of weeks ago I was under the car and noted some streaks on the oil pan. Being pink, it was not a hard guess what was going on, possible water pump leak. Checked the coolant tank and well below normal. Only 45,000 miles. Well known issue that I probably could have gone to dealer to have repaired under warranty. I have never let the dealer touch my car, except for recalls, so I really didn't want to start now. Plus I wanted an opportunity to check on the carbon build up.

Quite the procedure to get the intake off to easily access the water pump / thermostat, but got it done in a couple hours. Found the leak coming from the thermostat housing, not unusual for the MQB platform. Replaced the assembly then checked the carbon fouling. Cylinder 1 & 2 (counting from drivers side) were not to bad but 3 & 4 were pretty caked. Rotated the crank till the valves were closed and went to town with carburetor cleaner, a small scraper, and a handy shop-vac. Cleaned all the cylinders, vacuumed out the debris, then installed the intake again. Not as nice as walnut blasting, but it will work. Finished up the rest of the re-assembly, burped the coolant system, and took for a test drive.

Happy the car does not leak, not sure I really notice a difference on power. Will hit the interstate tomorrow.
So a couple of weeks ago I was under the car and noted some streaks on the oil pan. Being pink, it was not a hard guess what was going on, possible water pump leak. Checked the coolant tank and well below normal. Only 45,000 miles. Well
Wow that’s a lot of coolant!

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD

Thinking of tackling carbon cleaning myself as well. FCPEuro has a good write up on it for the MK7.
https://blog.fcpeuro.com/how-to-carbon-clean-walnut-blast-intake-valves-mk7-gti
Are you tuned? Stock PCV system? Just trying to get a better idea on potential carbon buildup at 40k myself.

c31561

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Thinking of tackling carbon cleaning myself as well. FCPEuro has a good write up on it for the MK7.
https://blog.fcpeuro.com/how-to-carbon-clean-walnut-blast-intake-valves-mk7-gti
Are you tuned? Stock PCV system? Just trying to get a better idea on potential carbon buildup at 40k myself.

Yes, stage 2 with all the goodies and the stock PCV system. I missed that blog, but the bunch of zip-ties is a good idea to really get into the space. I have a decent pick set that I used from Northern Tool that got into most of the spaces. Really helps to use some carb cleaner (or similar) to loosen it up.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
jumped on the bandwagon and installed the rear audi harmonic dampener today. Really didn't have any expectations, but after one test drive I think I can say it actually quieted things down a bit. Good, easy and cheap mod.

Here's the link to golfdave's DIY in case anyone is interested
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...c-damper-from-the-audi-a3-saloon-2013.369369/
All these good reviews have me thinking about picking one up... but torsion beam... I can find a place to mount it :LOL:

Lager_Ace

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Got my winter tires on❄⛄
IMG_0113.jpeg

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Ruger

Car(s)
Porsche Cayenne GTS
Actually it was yesterday. I changed the DSG fluid and filter, oil and filter, air filter, cabin air filter, serpentine belt, spark plugs and coils. Made a huge difference engine and transmission run much more smooth.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Is there anything you haven't customized yet? 😂 That looks great.
Haha, not really, interior, exterior, suspension, motor, audio... too much 😂

and this knob is replacing an aftermarket
Thanks. Did you get the FT86/BRZ/FRS ones for the correct sizing, since they don't have anything listed specifically for VW's?
so actually I got the universal option for the one that’s on the car now, but I did order a replacement that came in today and this order was the “vw” Option, It’s much smaller...
image.jpg

Last edited: