GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Well, replaced pcv and while it did have oil around it I found the more likely culprit.
Who really changes the crush washer when they change the oil? I'm assuming that's where the leak is coming from. There is a dent in bottom of the pan but I don't think it has a hole in it...
While I was looking at the pan, it wouldn't be to difficult to add on to the oil pan to hold an extra quart.

Oh and it looks like my top bushing on the pendulum is MIA

Attachments

• 20210507_091951.jpg
    20210507_091951.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 74
  • 20210507_102835.jpg
    20210507_102835.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 75
  • 20210507_102901.jpg
    20210507_102901.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 67

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Well, replaced pcv and while it did have oil around it I found the more likely culprit.
Who really changes the crush washer when they change the oil?
Yeah you absolutely have to use a new crush washer every oil change. I've skipped it before and you will definitely get a nice drip from the pan without it.

It gets worse with the newer VWs too. For the mk7 you have to change the filter, filter o ring, and also buy a new drain plug with another new o ring, every time because plastic oil pans are gay and dumb.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Yeah you absolutely have to use a new crush washer every oil change. I've skipped it before and you will definitely get a nice drip from the pan without it.

It gets worse with the newer VWs too. For the mk7 you have to change the filter, filter o ring, and also buy a new drain plug with another new o ring, every time because plastic oil pans are gay and dumb.
I have never changed it honestly, last time it was changed (maybe?) Was about 49k miles ago when local stealership sent me a coupon for 20$ oil change 😀

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
I have never changed it honestly, last time it was changed (maybe?) Was about 49k miles ago when local stealership sent me a coupon for 20$ oil change 😀
I reused mine once and it was almost immediately dripping on the floor. I would have changed it but I just didn't have one. I tightened it another 1/1,000th of a turn and it stopped

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion

+100000 on the washers... i still have a bag of like 80 copper ones from my mk2 days... still used them on my mk3 (i think they were 2 cents a piece from autotechparts back in the day). I just buy them when i stock up on filters.

torga

Autocross Champion
yes, the o-rings on the coolant hose end fittings.

I had one when i did K-04 that only showed up when i vaccumed the lines. Ended up being the o ring on upper rad hose going into the WP. It was out of round by quite a bit, flattened out, 3 dollars for a new one and problem solved.

you dont need to change hoses, but i do suggest changing the o-rings.
I might have to look into this. I've sprung a very, very slow coolant leak in the exact same area (replace WP with aluminum Graf unit a bit over a year ago), and it just doesn't seem like it's the pump.

I've had both heater core hoses (where they plug into the firewall) start leaking before. Was a pain to track down because it was a slow drip that was really only noticeable on hot days.

I believe it may have been @torga who also experienced this, I could be wrong.
I had a heater core union leak when I was first looking at this car, but I got the PO to have a few things fixed in exchange for meeting his asking price. Ended up being ~$1800 of work after all was said and done.

What I have experienced recently were the hard plastic coolant lines leaking -- the ones that sit in front of the oil filter, kind of on top of the alternator. I replaced those with Spulen's silicon hose kit and it's been perfect.
I saw the video for that, it looks exactly like a DG unit. Seems like a lateral upgrade
That's what I thought as well. Looks to be 100% functionally identical. Not really sure what they were thinking bringing a "you can copy my homework but don't make it too obvious" product to market.
Who really changes the crush washer when they change the oil? I'm assuming that's where the leak is coming from. There is a dent in bottom of the pan but I don't think it has a hole in it...
While I was looking at the pan, it wouldn't be to difficult to add on to the oil pan to hold an extra quart.

New crush washer and new plug every time. Always. Always has to be that little donut type crush washer with the sealant inside. Flat copper washers have always leaked for me.

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion
I've grown to love the metal with the rubber insert or neoprene lip attached. Makes me have to change it every time. I mean why not?
I like fords drain plug design, has a recessed rubber o ring (in a groove), since it is recessed, the metal bottoms out, and ensures same pressure/contact with o-ring every time.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Attempted install of a unibrace RB. car was on ramps, i dropped my exhaust and could not get the clearance needed to install without popping off my midmuffler, which i did not have the clearance for either.

luckily i know some people with lifts, so i'll see if i can weasel my way into some lift time to get this banged out.

ACHILLES R32

Drag Racing Champion
Picked up a used unibrace RB from another forum, gonna try and put that on today. Came off a CC so I'm not concerned about it being all jacked up. Solid piece. My other unibrace products are black and this is red, though. At least it's not something anyone will see.
Sweet, I still have to install mine.

You can always paint it ask me how I known lol . I used some krylon wrinkle paint. Looks nice I'll see how it holds up. I would definitely get some primer first. The krylon pain said it had primer mixed in it but I have my doubts

ACHILLES R32

Drag Racing Champion

How many miles on that spulen pendulum mount? Hopefully my bushing doesnt tear anytime soon. But I did buy a replacement

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
I went OEM revision over the iABED as well (thanks @Allchokedup !!). FWIW my original RMS had no leaks when I changed clutch at 102k mi.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Sweet, I still have to install mine.

You can always paint it ask me how I known lol . I used some krylon wrinkle paint. Looks nice I'll see how it holds up. I would definitely get some primer first. The krylon pain said it had primer mixed in it but I have my doubts
For something no one other than me and mechanics will see, I can live with it being red