GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

smanierre

Autocross Champion
So I did some kinda sketchy stuff today. I tried to install the iAbed oil pressure sensor adapter during my last oil change but the oem alternator bolts weren't long enough. I looked around online and found some bolts from Volvo that looked like they would do the trick (part #989933). The drivers side bolt ended up working fine, although I was getting a bit nervous towards the end with how hard it was getting to turn, but I think on the passengers side I ran out of threads in the hole. The back of the hole is open so I was able to basically use the bolt to cut some more threads in but it got too dulled and that stopped working. With the passenger side bolt all the way snugged the bracket and alternator seem pretty stable so i'm just gonna send it as is. Ideally I won't be driving it much longer as is and then I can fix it properly by finding a correct length bolt or maybe just shortening this one a little bit. You can see the middle black bolt in this picture has a few mm to go before it makes contact.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Why wouldn't you just cut a few cm off the longer bolt...?:confused:

smanierre

Autocross Champion

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion

smanierre

Autocross Champion
You don't have a hacksaw??
Negative ghostrider. I don't have shit except a harbor freight tool set that's half broken. Changing soon hopefully

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Negative ghostrider. I don't have shit except a harbor freight tool set that's half broken. Changing soon hopefully
Oof. Roughing it eh

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Not mk6 related but found only pic I have of my first VW. Its on my fridge now:

Attachments

• 20201001_154851.jpg
    20201001_154851.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 84

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Oof. Roughing it eh
Have been for about 2 and a half years now. My peak was outside until 1am in the rain installing my passat LCAs and ALK.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
He'd like that too much 😜 guy already thinks I ban people for sport when I'm not killin vettes at the track. Wouldn't want to give him any victim ammo

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
So I did some kinda sketchy stuff today. I tried to install the iAbed oil pressure sensor adapter during my last oil change but the oem alternator bolts weren't long enough. I looked around online and found some bolts from Volvo that looked like they would do the trick (part #989933). The drivers side bolt ended up working fine, although I was getting a bit nervous towards the end with how hard it was getting to turn, but I think on the passengers side I ran out of threads in the hole. The back of the hole is open so I was able to basically use the bolt to cut some more threads in but it got too dulled and that stopped working. With the passenger side bolt all the way snugged the bracket and alternator seem pretty stable so i'm just gonna send it as is. Ideally I won't be driving it much longer as is and then I can fix it properly by finding a correct length bolt or maybe just shortening this one a little bit. You can see the middle black bolt in this picture has a few mm to go before it makes contact.

I did a quick search and it looks like It should be fastened with a socket head cap screw. It should drop into the recess that is machined in.
daboltza.png

Last edited:

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
What did I do to my GTI today? Broke something on my way in to work... car sounds more like a diesel right now, smells catless, some sort of rattle/noise on acceleration. Can post cell phone video in a bit but it doesn't seem to capture the noise I'm hearing very well. Haven't been able to get into the hood and look around yet - looks like I know what I'll be up to this weekend.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
What did I do to my GTI today? Broke something on my way in to work... car sounds more like a diesel right now, smells catless, some sort of rattle/noise on acceleration. Can post cell phone video in a bit but it doesn't seem to capture the noise I'm hearing very well. Haven't been able to get into the hood and look around yet - looks like I know what I'll be up to this weekend.
Most likely your factory clamp rusted through and failed. If it smells catless it probably is the clamp that connects the downpipe proper to the rest of the exhaust