GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What comes after the GTI?

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Go Volvo V70R.......
Or an XC60. Supercharged and Turbocharged SUV, with air ride suspension. My aunt has one and her son (who drives a tuned 2015 WRX) told me its impressively fast and fun to drive

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Not true.

Porsche Macan, go test drive one and tell me you don't smile. The base model (2017 and 2018 MY) can be purchased for $30,000 (with some negotiating) with sub 30k miles. The engine in the base model... EA888 Gen 3 (Longitudinal)... with a few tuning options. Stock power rating is 252HP/273TQ...

Example of a tuning option: APR Stage 1 Plus (91oct) 317HP/363TQ...

You can fit 2 kids in car seats, a 65+ pound dog, and a reasonable amount of luggage/cargo in a Macan????

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
You can fit 2 kids in car seats, a 65+ pound dog, and a reasonable amount of luggage/cargo in a Macan????

Yes, my sister does it :)

She loves her Macan

A five year old, a three year old, a husband and a German Shepherd

LMAO. He is trying to be under 30k comon now

On my fault, you're right... he wanted to be 30k or less...

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/816403257/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/823176695/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/808425116/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/823176418/overview/

Probably couldn't negotiate those to be at or under 30k though, I bet they won't budge on those listed prices.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
We looked at Macans before settling on the Q5. Same chassis, but the Porsche is better tuned. The biggest shortcoming is that the hatch area is tiny, like smaller than a GTI tiny.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Yeah, possibly. I’d still like to keep my budget (maybe a smidge over) and just use that to make my decision. It’s self-imposed, not a hard stop really. Just don’t want to spend more than that right now. I’m early 40s, and my money is going into maxing out my 401k, putting money toward other investments, college funds for the kids, and trying to retire early. I think the GTI has spoiled me in a lot of ways. It’s hard to top for smiles per dollar. ;)
That's me. 47. Happy to drive a base model paid-for car at this point in my life and save save save!

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Here is our 5-person family solution. Atlas!

20200731_172738.jpg

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
We looked at Macans before settling on the Q5. Same chassis, but the Porsche is better tuned. The biggest shortcoming is that the hatch area is tiny, like smaller than a GTI tiny.

According to the actual specs, Macan is almost identical to GTI space wise.

I dunno, my sister loves her Macan and they use it as their primary family car.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Yeah. I'm 27 with a gf and 2 dogs and no plans of kids in the next 3-5 years, so agreed that my perspective/feelings about the car are biased. But i feel i put it all out there for him to decide on.

But yeah dude, the 4 Motion Golf Wagon options with the same upgrades half the GTI/R owners buy anyway will turn them into some of the most capable, well-rounded cars you could ask for (for the money).

I'm smitten with mine, never been so happy with a car. The feeling I get every time I look at/drive it is reminiscent of the feeling I had when I got my first GTI at 20 after saving up since I was 17, only this is so much more adult and *useful*. The GTI satisfied the literal boy-racer in me who fell in love with cars watching Fast and the Furious when I was 7, and playing Need for Speed, Forza, and Gran Turismo growing up. The Alltrack satisfies the adult in me whose thinking about buying a house in the woods and having what I need to haul stuff from Home Depot, and go adventuring with my little family, while still having fun every time I'm behind the wheel.
Me too dude. I love to send it in this thing. It's a stoplight killer and that's the best part...smile each time I use the launch control and I here that little IS20 spool up through the open intake. It's the most fun car I've owned.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
I have both GTI and a SportWagen, and if you want more interior space I would say go for something else other than GSW or Alltrack. You get a large trunk, but back seat, front seat space it is identical to GTI. I wish they offered Passat Alltrack in US, but that's not happening.
I also would not consider Audi Q5...doesn't offer that much space if that's what you're after. Have you looked into Subarus...Outback, Forester? They all have CVTs so that kind of sucks. Seems like you have written off Tiguan, I think APR tune is being released for it soon, so that will solve power issue. A few other tweaks could make it a solid contender. Avoid the third row seat in the Tiguan, it eats up the cargo space and it's pretty much useless.
How about Atlas CrossSport?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Or an XC60. Supercharged and Turbocharged SUV, with air ride suspension. My aunt has one and her son (who drives a tuned 2015 WRX) told me its impressively fast and fun to drive

Reeeeeeeeeeeeally? I didn't know that...I need to check that out....

Subaru Forester?
Beat you to it....see third post LOL

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
According to the actual specs, Macan is almost identical to GTI space wise.

I dunno, my sister loves her Macan and they use it as their primary family car.
Right, but tiny compared to a Q5 and the OP is looking to get more size, not the same, just taller and 800 pounds heavier.