GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What class for a modded GLI?

enobiko

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 SE 6 MT
My nephew just bought a modded 2018 GLI Autobahn: lowering springs, ECS turbo upgrade and downpipe, "ECS Stage 1 Tune" (?? with a bigger turbo and downpipe I'd expect a different Stage tune...) Also, stock wheels and so-so all-season Hankooks. He wants to race me next year in the local SCCA Solo.
I expect he'll be slower, due to the all-seasons and the zero seat time (I'll try to mentor him as best I can). However... what SCCA class would that car be in? He won't be in my same GS class GTI SE, with those mods, but we'll still have fun together.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Street Mod/XSA, aftermarket turbos kick you out of the competitive classes. Didn't know ECS had their own turbo upgrade, though. Maybe just a turbo inlet pipe?

enobiko

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 SE 6 MT
I'm just going on what my nephew said... there is indeed an ECS turbo inlet pipe and inlet hose (stock airbox), maybe he's seeing the ECS downpipe? He was told it had an upgraded turbo... what to look for? He sent me a photo of the serial number... at the top it says "JHJ" followed by the Audi symbol. At the bottom... 06K 145 874 L (or is that I45?)

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I'm just going on what my nephew said... there is indeed an ECS turbo inlet pipe and inlet hose (stock airbox), maybe he's seeing the ECS downpipe? He was told it had an upgraded turbo... what to look for? He sent me a photo of the serial number... at the top it says "JHJ" followed by the Audi symbol. At the bottom... 06K 145 874 L (or is that I45?)
Usually the aftermarket ones will have a flat pressed brand/model # stamp on the compressor cover. It's certainly possible to have an upgraded turbo that looks totally stock from the outside, though. One thing he can do is try emailing a bunch of the bigger tuning companies with his VIN to see if they have any record of it. Stage 1 tune would typically imply a stock turbo, however.