GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What causes thrust bearing failure?

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
I gave up and got a Southbend Stage 3. Going Stage 2 in a month.

wascally wabbitt

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
I don't think that second photo is quite right, there has to be machined recessed surface like in photo 1 and 3 where the thrust washer is located.

Item 9 in the diagram is the infamous thrust washer.

Also axial play of the crank is limited to 0.07 to 0.30 mm.

what would be the course of action if crank axial play measures near the .3mm wear limit?

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm talking about the un lubricated lateral force applied to the crankshaft and thrust bearing when the clutch pedal is depressed on startup
Except it's not really unlubricated. Oil with a good film strength is providing lubrication.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Wonder how expensive it would be to put a pre oiler on or if anyone even makes one? Had one on a 77 Ford pickup truck.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Would it be possible to measure thrust bearing wear using a dial bore gauge on the damper/pulley? The idea is that the pressure plate pushes the crankshaft against the thrust bearing towards the passenger side right? In the service manual there is a page on "measuring axial clearance" with a dial bore gauge with a clearance of 0.07-0.23mm and wear limit of 0.30mm. I really wonder if this measurement can be done outside the engine using the clutch to push the crank.

Though I might be over my head here...someone who knows what they are talking about chime in.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Would it be possible to measure thrust bearing wear using a dial bore gauge on the damper/pulley? The idea is that the pressure plate pushes the crankshaft against the thrust bearing towards the passenger side right? In the service manual there is a page on "measuring axial clearance" with a dial bore gauge with a clearance of 0.07-0.23mm and wear limit of 0.30mm. I really wonder if this measurement can be done outside the engine using the clutch to push the crank.

Though I might be over my head here...someone who knows what they are talking about chime in.
I'd use a dial indicator on a mag mount.