GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What causes thrust bearing failure?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
not really knowing but if the crank shaft can move enough to allow a face bearing drop there are other issues unless it fell out during assy.

Mud

edit....let me go look at diagram

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
looked at diagram....not what I was thinking and I assume it's the washers that are failing/falling out.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
looks like you would need to get this custom and bring your car to a shop that does custom engine work

I reached out to Foreign Automotive directly. Im going to have these procedure done in the tristate area at 30K miles. I'll keep you posted.
This should be preventative maintenance.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
I reached out to Foreign Automotive directly. Im going to have these procedure done in the tristate area at 30K miles. I'll keep you posted.
Refer to the below, this is the best advice anyone can give on this topic, twist knows all about these cars

Upgraded thrust bearings are a completely mute point. As at that point the channel would have eroded just enough to cause the exact same thing to happen again. A custom machine shop could bore and custom make bearings, but at that point you are stripping and pulling apart a MQB engine. Which is not cheap nor easy. Which means you should just throw an IE short block on a good core anyway.

It's not an issue you can, should or would worry about until it happens. There's nothing to avoid or cause it so just enjoy your car. If you have a 7/14 build date 15 MT maybe start shopping for a dsg, other than that don't worry about it.

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie

Pulling the engine for preventative maintenance?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Refer to the below, this is the best advice anyone can give on this topic, twist knows all about these cars

You're never going to get people to not freak out over crank walk. It is a legitimate thing that can happen, but I think Twist said it best when he said it's not worth worrying over.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
You're never going to get people to not freak out over crank walk. It is a legitimate thing that can happen, but I think Twist said it best when he said it's not worth worrying over.
yes once it breaks, build the engine for xxxx$ vs spending xxxx$ just to add possible crank walk prevention but no hi hp internals just seems off

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
yes once it breaks, build the engine for xxxx$ vs spending xxxx$ just to add possible crank walk prevention but no hi hp internals just seems off

Yep and that guys build is a little off as well. Couple of things that stuck out to me, he has cross-drilled & slotted rotors with EBC yellows and DIY rubbery sideskirts? :confused:

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
Pulling the engine for preventative maintenance?
They do not need to pull the engine. This is a 7 hour drive from me. I will just take a roadtrip and have the work done when I replace the clutch.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual