GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What Car To Replace My GTD

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
Due to various threads & my replies. I thought I would open a new one, as per the title.

So for those that don't know, I will be parting with my ultra reliable & remapped GTD. My friend will be purchasing this mid to late this year. Deposit already taken:eek:.

So what to get next ....... I have toyed with getting a higher spec/ fully loaded GTD. And even looked at a Golf R.

I have ruled out a Golf R based on the mpg And in real world conditions a remapped GTD is every bit as quick, but with double the mpg.

So I have settled on a diesel. Purely by accident, me & Mrs Rappy, watched an advert for a Merc GLC.

A quick test drive & it looks like a serious contender. As mentioned previously, I have never had the same car twice & the GTD, will go down as one of the best cars I have owned.

The exact car I'm looking at is a Merc GLC 250d AMG with the premium plus pack.

I think the new Merc styling is spot on. The GLC drives very well and feels very premium & nice place to be.

Just need to get one for a longer test drive & I think it will be a done deal.

Watch this space.......

Rappy:cool:

carbongmk7

Ready to race!
sounds like your minds made up
merc's are great cars i love the c63 amg to bad it doesnt come in standard...\
i really like my gti all though im starting to wish i had put up the extra for an r haha
awd is nice to have

martgadget

Passed Driver's Ed
Can I ask why you are changing it? Having bought mine outright had it 12 months and Probably taken the biggest depreciation hit (8 to 10k £) off what I paid for it, if you own yours also you need at least 3 yrs out of it to not loose a heap of money.

Unless it's leased and your deal is up?

Just curious? Then again I have owned several of the same car before as I liked them.

Mart

NJMK7R

Passed Driver's Ed
A GTD as quick as an R?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
A GTD as quick as an R?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I chuckled too. But at least over in the foreign lands they have good diesel fuel and the cost difference between diesel and premium probably makes a good difference.

Here in the home of $2 gas, the TDI just doesn't make all that much sense.

dazr321

Passed Driver's Ed
I think he means in gear acceleration and general mapped performance, obviously in the wet and at a corner there would be a gulf of difference handling wise, A mapped GTD pushes out an impressive chunk of extra torque.

GC854

Ready to race!
Hi Rappy. Sounds like your mind is made up. For me choosing a car is as much about emotion as anything else. Like you I have never gone for the same car twice and the GTD is down as one of the best cars I have ever had. However having test driven BMW 120 and 118 and an A-Class 220 I am looking forward to taking delivery of my second GTD in March. (It will have a few more toys than the current car.) I did come close to going for a 120d with the 8 speed auto box which was an absolute peach of a gearbox but the styling of the car and the fact it is due for replacement put me off a little. It was a close run thing but I am on a company lease deal and VW have significantly cut the leasing costs of the GTD. My company pays for the lease so the cost doesnt affect me however our budgeteers were happy and I got a higher spec GTD which is costing the company less than my current one.

pipsyp

Ready to race!
Hey Rappy....I think once youve run a GTD as a daily drive...being such an accomplished all rounder the choice is a very difficult one.

I love the way the car really does seem to take on a different personality when in Sport mode....in normal its very good but quite ordinary....the sharper throttle and soundaktor noise really do IMHO make it quite a blast to drive hard.....as a consequence it might even feel and sound a bit faster than it actually is (given there is in reality little if any difference in performance between normal and sport bar sharper responses) but thats all good for me.

I get a kick out of driving something that looks as good if not better than the GTI, offers more or less the same thrills trading revvier performance for sheer mid range grunt and really costs very little to run as a company car given the performane on tap. Its actually one of very few cars I actually would have aspired to own, not just buy because it makes sense....but I do think nearly 30k for any Golf, perhaps R aside is alot of money.

No disrspect but whilst I am sure the GLC is v nice (I like Mercs and have seen a couple on the road).....I cant see it being as rewarding to drive and perhaps own as the GTD...my worry is that it'll be a lot of money and might be a bit of a disappointment longer term...though that is of course your call.

When deciding on the Golf, I could have paid extra to have had an LCI facelift 1 series 120d M Sport 5 door manual with business nav.
....I think money no object I probably would have chosen it over the GTD for its RWD layout and ever so slightly perkier peformance.....but its CO2 emissions were poor by comparison and it did lack alot of standard kit...this and that I was going to have to salary sacrifice a reasonable sum per month made the decision easy. That said if I were buying a car privately a 120d X drive M sport sport auto with some spec would be on my list. My late father had an M135i auto and that thing was amazing for the money......but its a licence looser and quite thirsty.

My father in law has just gotten a new E350 Bluetec AMG Night Edition with the Premium Plus pack and that thing is really rather nice....got a good deal too largely on the basis the new E comes out later this year (I think)....perhaps a bit big for me but a lovely car. A C class estate or A class in AMG Sport spec would be nice too.

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
I think he means in gear acceleration and general mapped performance, obviously in the wet and at a corner there would be a gulf of difference handling wise, A mapped GTD pushes out an impressive chunk of extra torque.

Yes. :D:D

Remapped GTD 500 nm vs R 380nm.

Real world, as in mid range shove.

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
Can I ask why you are changing it? Having bought mine outright had it 12 months and Probably taken the biggest depreciation hit (8 to 10k £) off what I paid for it, if you own yours also you need at least 3 yrs out of it to not loose a heap of money.

Unless it's leased and your deal is up?

Just curious? Then again I have owned several of the same car before as I liked them.

Mart

Fancy a change. Rule of thumb, always change every 3 yrs.

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
Hi Rappy. Sounds like your mind is made up. For me choosing a car is as much about emotion as anything else. Like you I have never gone for the same car twice and the GTD is down as one of the best cars I have ever had. However having test driven BMW 120 and 118 and an A-Class 220 I am looking forward to taking delivery of my second GTD in March. (It will have a few more toys than the current car.) I did come close to going for a 120d with the 8 speed auto box which was an absolute peach of a gearbox but the styling of the car and the fact it is due for replacement put me off a little. It was a close run thing but I am on a company lease deal and VW have significantly cut the leasing costs of the GTD. My company pays for the lease so the cost doesnt affect me however our budgeteers were happy and I got a higher spec GTD which is costing the company less than my current one.

Agreed. If this was a company car, I would have another GTD. And yes, buying car is head & heart.

Last edited:

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
No disrspect but whilst I am sure the GLC is v nice (I like Mercs and have seen a couple on the road).....I cant see it being as rewarding to drive and perhaps own as the GTD...my worry is that it'll be a lot of money and might be a bit of a disappointment longer term...though that is of course your call.

Thanks. Yes the Golf is the best hatch on the road. Not saying the GLC is the best SUV, but I like:D.

Part of me says wait till the new 16MY Tiguan, before I part with any cash. And yes, if you go for the Preimum Plus pack it's great & far cheaper than VW options.

J400uk

Ready to race!
I'm thinking the new Tiguan could well be worth waiting for. The 240PS BiTDI version certainly sounds interesting and will be quicker than a stock Golf GTD or GTI.