GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What are you guys paying for insurance?

mac340

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
This thread is pointless... Insurance costs are going to vary widely depending zip code, driver age, and driving record.

So anywhere from $400-$3,000 every 6 months.
Not to mention how much your coverage is. Is your liability for a million or for 50K ? You have to compare apples to apples.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
~$2800CAD per year: 1 GTI, 2 motorcycles, 1 cargo trailer, property and contents insurance, general liability, etc.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I'm paying $711/yr for the Golf R and $731/yr for the M2 Comp. Comprehensive & collision deductibles both $500. Full glass coverage, zero deductible (mandated by law here in AZ). M2 is "secondary" car at stated 7500 mi/yr. State Farm.

I'm in rural AZ with a clean record and old as dirt, so all those things obviously help. I'm seeing some scary-high looking rates some of you guys are paying - do any of you paying massive amounts actually shop the rates occasionally? You might be shocked at how much money you might be able to save.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I have Progressive and get a competitive price. My buddy was telling me to check out Geico and it was more expensive with less coverage.
Myth: GEICO has great rates. Who says they do? GEICO does. But you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who actually shopped rates that found them to be their least expensive option. "You might save 15% or more on car insurance" they advertised forever. Analyze that statement. "Might" means you might, or might not. "15% or more" is just a number they pulled out of their ass and in the stated context, means nothing. "Might" get 15% means maybe not, and "or more" is also a meaningless nothingburger.

That damn lizard spent $900m on advertising in a single year a few years back. Gee, who pays for that?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Myth: GEICO has great rates. Who says they do? GEICO does. But you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who actually shopped rates that found them to be their least expensive option. "You might save 15% or more on car insurance" they advertised forever. Analyze that statement. "Might" means you might, or might not. "15% or more" is just a number they pulled out of their ass and in the stated context, means nothing. "Might" get 15% means maybe not, and "or more" is also a meaningless nothingburger.

That damn lizard spent $900m on advertising in a single year a few years back. Gee, who pays for that?
I have State Farm like you but how much did State Farm pay for the Jake from State Farm commercials. Probably far more than Geico did since the State Farm commercials have many athletes in those commercials and they cost more than a gecko.

Turbongr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7

All true. That being said Flo ain't working for peanuts. My advice is probably just choose one that has a good rate for you and stick with them. Going up the ladder at Progressive as a customer has paid off for me.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I have State Farm like you but how much did State Farm pay for the Jake from State Farm commercials. Probably far more than Geico did since the State Farm commercials have many athletes in those commercials and they cost more than a gecko.
So true - all of the major carriers are spending megabucks to compete for business. Don't even get me started on Jake!

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
All true. That being said Flo ain't working for peanuts. My advice is probably just choose one that has a good rate for you and stick with them. Going up the ladder at Progressive as a customer has paid off for me.
Have you ever had a claim? Reason I ask is I believe you...as far as handling a claim, Progressive has been top notch in both our recent child's totaling of our SUV and a past Motorcycle accident. However I have been told by my private insurance agent, come the end of our policy term next summer, she will be looking to get us into something else due to the recent claim. Progressive is the worst there is for Surcharging you after a claim. Things are top notch with them as long as you do not make a claim and keep the insurance. They will make you pay! I did not get to find out on my Motorcycle accident, where they gave me more than I paid for the bike on the claim, because I hung up my riding pants after the accident and did not need insurance anymore and cancelled. They all surcharge, it is how much where Progressive really nails ya!

Last edited:

Turbongr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7
Have you ever had a claim? Reason I ask is I believe you...as far as handling a claim, Progressive has been top notch in both our recent child's totaling of our SUV and a past Motorcycle accident. However I have been told by my private insurance agent, come the end of our policy term next summer, she will be looking to get us into something else due to the recent claim. Progressive is the worst there is for Surcharging you after a claim. Things are top notch with them as long as you do not make a claim and keep the insurance. They will make you pay! I did not get to find out on my Motorcycle accident, where they gave me more than I paid for the bike on the claim, because I hung up my riding pants after the accident and did not need insurance anymore and cancelled. They all surcharge, it is how much where Progressive really nails ya!

I've had a few over the years. Honestly with mixed results. Couple motorcycle claims were handled GREAT. Didn't hang up my helmet and they were super helpful. To the extent they actually tracked down some nut who hit one of my bikes using the plate # that an onlooker provided after the jerk who hit my car left a bunk #.
Alternately I had to take a Miata to them after it got rammed by a a bobcat shoveling snow and that ended up a complete pita. I didn't experience any charge issues though and I recently got into an accident, my fault and NOT one of my finer moments, and my rates stayed the same and I had zero headaches w/ them.

Like I said before I think the fact I've been w/ them so long really works in my favor but I do know people who've switched to them recently.

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
2015 gti i pay $1100 a year, $150,000 full coverage AAA