GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What are you guys paying for insurance?

cb1111

(Another pointless personal anecdote.)

Not much unless you move to (or garage) at a different location. 10yrs w/ my MCS, same garaged address, no (reported) tix, no change in mileage, no accidents, same full coverage w/ $250 deduct. The premium went down total of $10/month not including a loyalty discount of 10% after 3yrs. Went up $15 when I switch to the GTI, then 6 months "free" w/ the COVID refund.

Just to reinforce the location aspect, if I moved over 6 streets to the west (closer to gang-infested areas), my premium would go up $17/month. 10 blocks north and it'll drop $24/month (nicer area).
In addition, since insurance rates go up every year (even though the value of the car decreases), much of the decrease because of a better driving record will disappear.

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
I pay $377 a month for my wife and I with a 2012 gti and 2021 gti. Can’t really compare. I have high limits to protect my home and investments so that I could also get umbrella insurance. I am bundled with home, auto, and umbrella through aaa with oem part rider, uninsured/underinsured motorist, rental car upgrade, and $250 deductible.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I pay $377 a month for my wife and I with a 2012 gti and 2021 gti. Can’t really compare. I have high limits to protect my home and investments so that I could also get umbrella insurance. I am bundled with home, auto, and umbrella through aaa with oem part rider, uninsured/underinsured motorist, rental car upgrade, and $250 deductible.
If you can afford a $1000 deductible it would lower your cost.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I'm in the lowest cost group, in the highest cost city. Before the car was paid off, it was - I think, $120 per month. As soon as I no longer had to provide full coverage, I dumped it and now it's like half that.

My 140hp motorcycle is $4 a month.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I hate the insurance conundrum. The cars paid off, but I still carry full coverage. I don't feel like diving back into a hole if the car was totaled for some reason. My daughters car was just totaled by a uninsured driver. Thankfully we have that coverage, or she'd have been SOL.

I feel like it's such a scam, but valuable if needed.

SteveRedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
I hate the insurance conundrum. The cars paid off, but I still carry full coverage. I don't feel like diving back into a hole if the car was totaled for some reason. My daughters car was just totaled by a uninsured driver. Thankfully we have that coverage, or she'd have been SOL.

I feel like it's such a scam, but valuable if needed.
With the costs of repair today, it's a must have. My random encounter with a truck's huge mud flap was settled for $2,500. Some hood work, new headlamp assembly and paint work. Glad it wasn't a deer or a moose. But I also live in fear of whatever things I might have to replace in the future. Going from a Toyota to a VW does cause a little of that WTF have I done stress:eek:

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
With the costs of repair today, it's a must have. My random encounter with a truck's huge mud flap was settled for $2,500. Some hood work, new headlamp assembly and paint work. Glad it wasn't a deer or a moose. But I also live in fear of whatever things I might have to replace in the future. Going from a Toyota to a VW does cause a little of that WTF have I done stress:eek:
If an accident isn't found to be your fault you will get the deductible back. The only PITA of it is the float game the insurance will play with when they take your deductible vs when it's refunded back to you.

I keep mine at $500 since it really didn't cost thst much more then a $1000 deductible, and I'd rather be out $500 less if I'm a dumb dumb and cause the damage.

Edit: I replied to the wrong post. Ya'll can follow the flow of the conversation in not changing it.

D.Gage

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Gti
I’m in an area with notorious traffic and high insurance. I have high limits, $400 deductible and pay $86 a month for my 2017 GTI and 2021 accord sport.

roundle1979

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE 6MT
I think it really depends on geography.

When I moved from Washington, DC to Westchester, NY my rates went up by 60%.

I have two cars, 2018 Mazda CX9 GT AWD and 2018 VW GTI SE 6SP.

My 6 month premium for both cars is $1300.

Summary of coverage:

Liability: (300 / 500K); these are required limits for my umbrella policy
Property: maxed (100K)
Uninsured motorist: Maxed (300/300K)
Comprehensive (250 deductive)
Collision (500 deductive)
Includes road side and rental reimbursement

Last edited:

Codeca

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GoRf DSG
Good Lord ….after looking at this thread, I'm definitely going to need to look for another insurance policy.

Geico charges me 1230 per 6 months for:

Bodily Injury: 30/60
Property Damage: 50k
Uninsured Motorist: 15/30
Comprehensive: 500 deduct
Collision: 1k deduct

Living in Pasadena, good credit (2nd from highest bracket when checked a few weeks back), never been pulled over before with no accidents.

Turbongr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7
I have Progressive and get a competitive price. My buddy was telling me to check out Geico and it was more expensive with less coverage. The fact I've been with them forever might help but my buddy is now with Progressive. I also have coverage for a couple bikes and when I called to cancel coverage for one of them they said my price would go up so I just left it on there.

I was pleasantly surprised when getting the GTI on my policy that it only went up a few bucks a month from my old Audi.