GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What am I missing from my workout?

xxForgedxx

Ready to race!
I'm 5'9" 187lbs and I am looking for insight on what I may be doing wrong or missing from my workout. I am nursing a shoulder impingement and though it's getting better each day I can not afford to risk injuring it seriously. Here is what I've got thus far...

Chest/Tri:

Flat bench: 10@135lbs/6@185lbs/6@205/10 close interval @ 135lbs (before the shoulder injury I was at 8 reps @ 225lbs with a max of 275/305lbs

Skull crusher: 10@80lbs/10@80lbs/10@80lbs

Tri pull-down: 10@80/10@80/10@80

Incline fly: No longer do because of my shoulder

Push-ups: 25/5 close 5 wide clapper/25/5 close 5 wide clapper/25 and I half hold my last rep. I am a Solider so the form is top notch.

Back/Bi:

Curv bar curl: 10@80x3

Bent over row: 10@100x3

Low row: 10@100/10@120/10@120

Lat pull down: 10@100/10@120/10@120

Abs:

Flutter kicks:
3 sets of 100

Rope extensions:
3 sets of 10@ 60lbs

I used to do bridge,side bridge,side bridge: 3 sets of 45 second hold but it causes me to put all my weight on the shoulder to keep good form so I quit that...

I am a function over fashion type of guy. I am looking for what I am missing in my workout. I don't do legs because I run a ton between PT 3 days a week with ROTC and the random runs I throw in after my workout.

I for some reason feel like I am missing something, nutrition possibly has to do with why I am not extremely cut but to be frank I don't care. I'm a college student and don't need to have some psycho diet just to get some more creases in my abs. I just need to perform better on PT tests and in general for when I get pushed to the limit. What am I missing?

06Rabbit

Ready to race!
I'm a strong supporter of a lot of cardio, which you seem like you do a lot, so that's good.

My work-out is very similar to yours, but I must stress this part: working out is nothing without a proper diet.

When I mean a proper diet, I don't mean go a psycho diet as you might refer. I am referring to a diet that will restore the nutrients in your body. Your workout is pretty intensive (as it should) so you are burning up a lot of your body's nutrients. If you don't replenish the nutrients, your body can actually break down your muscle for energy, opposite of what you want.

I'm not sure how your diet is but having the right diet to replenish those nutrients will result in building more muscle/replenishing energy, hence being able to perform better on your PT tests.

xxForgedxx

Ready to race!
I'm a strong supporter of a lot of cardio, which you seem like you do a lot, so that's good.

My work-out is very similar to yours, but I must stress this part: working out is nothing without a proper diet.

When I mean a proper diet, I don't mean go a psycho diet as you might refer. I am referring to a diet that will restore the nutrients in your body. Your workout is pretty intensive (as it should) so you are burning up a lot of your body's nutrients. If you don't replenish the nutrients, your body can actually break down your muscle for energy, opposite of what you want.

I'm not sure how your diet is but having the right diet to replenish those nutrients will result in building more muscle/replenishing energy, hence being able to perform better on your PT tests.

I am on a supplement, it is from MRI, called Black Powder... it is a pre-workout. Nitros oxide, creatine and some other stuff. It's the least caffeine of the bunch of pre-workout crap. NoXplode = junk and all caffeine, NanoVapor= Junk made by the hydroxy cut company.

I eat pretty well but nothing I would call entirely nutrient rich. I eat spaghetti, sammiches (yes sammich) cereal, sometimes out, chicken bla bla bla. As cheap as I can get without eating ramen every day. I barely ever eat at mcdonalds, BK, wendys or whatever. hardly ever.

Khobin~

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'07 GTI, '97 YZF600R
maybe it's just your body type...

There was a time when I worked out a fair bit (3-4 times a weeks) and yeah I got stronger but I could never put on any sort of bulk...:cry:

The last couple of years I've pretty much sat around and done sfa, and yet I'm not 240 lbs of lard ass... :iono:

The past few weeks Ive been pretty down with a bunch of shit in life, but that's also helped me realize I need to get back into doing something...anything... :biggrin:

-wiretap-

hax0r

06Rabbit

Ready to race!
I am on a supplement, it is from MRI, called Black Powder... it is a pre-workout. Nitros oxide, creatine and some other stuff. It's the least caffeine of the bunch of pre-workout crap. NoXplode = junk and all caffeine, NanoVapor= Junk made by the hydroxy cut company.

I eat pretty well but nothing I would call entirely nutrient rich. I eat spaghetti, sammiches (yes sammich) cereal, sometimes out, chicken bla bla bla. As cheap as I can get without eating ramen every day. I barely ever eat at mcdonalds, BK, wendys or whatever. hardly ever.

Ahh, I see. Ok so it seems you're doing just right. When I read like a college student, I thought there might be a lot of fast food (I know I did...haha).

You mention you take pre-workout supplements. What about post-workout?

How often are you working out a week? Full body workouts or certain muscle group each time?

Based on your height and weight, I'd say you're already pretty built (not surprising with ROTC). Just concentrate on certain aspects of your PT and see what types of exercises can help you there.

For example, I'm a swimmer. I put a lot of time using the lat pull down machine from a standing position and pulling down in an arc. The motion done is very similar to a stroke while swimming (freestyle and butterfly). Building strength doing this exercise will help me build stronger strokes, and ultimately, make me faster in the pool. I'll also work on leg presses to maximize my push off the walls on each turn. The list goes on...

Breaking things down like that can help you put together a routine that is tailored to what you want to achieve, and eliminate exercises you may not necessarily need.

xxForgedxx

Ready to race!
I could lean up, I am a bit on the heavy/built side of things. I need a better ab workout too. For some reason people say flutter kicks dont do shit. Then why do army, marines and seals do em? Hip flexor muscles right? Which helps sit ups right? WTF

pitbull592

Go Kart Champion
I'll help you with a routine, when I lifted for size & strength I maxxed my bench at 500 for 3 reps, squatted 500 & was pulling DL for 600. It's more about nutrition then you think, and getting on a hit workout. I'll explain tonight.

notkool59

Go Kart Champion
I'm sure you will get all you need from pitbull later. Just be careful with the shoulder, its a really delicate area. I used to be a swimmer back in high school and I "swam through the pain" and ended up tearing my deltoid on the back side and tore some tendons as well. Had I not and told the coach that it was worse then it was, I would have gone to state, and not have shoulder problems every time I work out.