GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What actually gives the PP the ext 10hp?

reillyse

Go Kart Champion
Clear enough 3askoul!!! Thanks for pointing that! By the way, since you got around many tuned GTIs, what do you think about the drivability of a K04 mk6 GTI? Is it easy to drive fast (smoothly, not taken by the scuff) on the twisty bits? My brother seems to be considering about this modification, but I'm being skeptical about that... Fuel consumption is my other concern.

The k04 upgrade your brother is considering is VERY substantial. I went from running the quarter mile at 13.7-13.8@101 mph vs my k04 setup of 12.3-12.5@112-113 mph. The driveability is actually better because of a more linear torque band as opposed to the "slingshot effect" of a tuned k03. MUCH more linear powerband!!! Definitely easier to drive now in the twisties as the powerband is soooooo much smoother. Also an increase of 1-3 MPG after dropping the IHI k03 for the BW k04....in boost less(k04) is much better than being more frequently in boost(IHI/k03).

NightMare1

Passed Driver's Ed
well as far as my previous experience the k04 was one of the best upgrades I had in my life, the car was just so quiet and efficient to use in normal driving conditions and goes crazy under WOT. The worst disadvantage of the k04 is the wheel spin and how hard you can get it off the line with the horrible front wheel drive knowing that I have already upgraded the engine mounts and wrapped my VMR's with Nittos NT05 but still it was spinning under WOT. I have participated in many events here including auto cross, and general tracking and it was really fun and I was really surprised by the amount of this turbo can deliver. As TSIUG said the torque band is wider and much better than the k03. offcourse it will take him longer to spool since the turbo is bigger but that is not an issue at all since he can decrease it bu the TBP(Throttle Body Pipe) and the TOP(Turbo Outlet Pipe) which will help the car to spool better and faster.. But trust me he wont regret it for a single second if he went for a k04 upgrade. In addition the fuel consumption is the last thing you should worry about. I had a friend who he was really eager to know the difference between the fuel consumption of his car before and after the k04 as he CLAIMED he said that a full tank of 98 ron(93 octane) on the k03 would give him around 520 to 530 kms. when i installed his k04 by myself I told him to go easy on the car for the next 1000/kms. After a while he sent me a picture of his car doing 570 kms for the full tank or 98 RON (93 OCTANE) I WAS REALLY IMPRESSED.

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
well as far as my previous experience the k04 was one of the best upgrades I had in my life, the car was just so quiet and efficient to use in normal driving conditions and goes crazy under WOT. The worst disadvantage of the k04 is the wheel spin and how hard you can get it off the line with the horrible front wheel drive knowing that I have already upgraded the engine mounts and wrapped my VMR's with Nittos NT05 but still it was spinning under WOT. I have participated in many events here including auto cross, and general tracking and it was really fun and I was really surprised by the amount of this turbo can deliver. As TSIUG said the torque band is wider and much better than the k03. offcourse it will take him longer to spool since the turbo is bigger but that is not an issue at all since he can decrease it bu the TBP(Throttle Body Pipe) and the TOP(Turbo Outlet Pipe) which will help the car to spool better and faster.. But trust me he wont regret it for a single second if he went for a k04 upgrade. In addition the fuel consumption is the last thing you should worry about. I had a friend who he was really eager to know the difference between the fuel consumption of his car before and after the k04 as he CLAIMED he said that a full tank of 98 ron(93 octane) on the k03 would give him around 520 to 530 kms. when i installed his k04 by myself I told him to go easy on the car for the next 1000/kms. After a while he sent me a picture of his car doing 570 kms for the full tank or 98 RON (93 OCTANE) I WAS REALLY IMPRESSED.

Which manufacturer/tuner did you choose? On another note, I think that in the mk7 pp the spin problem will be vastly improved due to the LSD. There will be only one problem: can the LSD handle the extra (big one) amount of torque without destroying itself to bits?

NightMare1

Passed Driver's Ed
I went with APR for both the k04 and the tune. I was really impressed how these people well tune gti's they are really good. regarding the mk7 the LSD will definitely reduce the spin problem but to be honest I have no idea what's its potential I guess 1 should be destroyed to know how far it can go. :p