GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What’s the thought on running engine mounts without trans mounts?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If you mean should you also replace the trans mount yes. If the engine mount needs replaced the trans mount probably does also. Good idea to do both at the same time.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
the trans Mount is one of the primary drivers of wheel hop, more so than the engine Mount. I would say if you’re gonna do one, do the trans Mount instead of the engine Mount.

FlyingNugget

Go Kart Newbie
They complement each other, so you should do both. In fact, you should also do something about the gaping hole that is the dog bone mount.

Doing motor/trans/dogbone mount/inserts was one of the best mods I've done, and I've done a lot...

The dogbone inserts made a ton of vibration when starting from a stop. Probably because the OEM mounts do nothing. When I added the BFI Stage 1 mounts, they added a lot of noise, added no noticeable vibration, and reduced vibration when starting from a stop.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
They complement each other, so you should do both. In fact, you should also do something about the gaping hole that is the dog bone mount.

Doing motor/trans/dogbone mount/inserts was one of the best mods I've done, and I've done a lot...

The dogbone inserts made a ton of vibration when starting from a stop. Probably because the OEM mounts do nothing. When I added the BFI Stage 1 mounts, they added a lot of noise, added no noticeable vibration, and reduced vibration when starting from a stop.
What is your complete setup? BFI stage 1 engine and trans mounts with which dogbone insert? Or did you replace the puck altogether? I've been looking to upgrade my mounts as my car doesn't feel as tight when accelerating and shifting as it used to.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
What is your complete setup? BFI stage 1 engine and trans mounts with which dogbone insert? Or did you replace the puck altogether? I've been looking to upgrade my mounts as my car doesn't feel as tight when accelerating and shifting as it used to.

BFI S1 uppers w/ Powerflex hybrid is likely the best combination currently available for street performance/comfort.

alternatively, if you don’t want to cut the lower Dogbone bushing, I would suggest APR lower steel insert with 034 upper aluminum insert. I have this combination on my car with stock mounts and it made a decent difference. It would only be better with BFI uppers.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I think the trans mount is more prone to abuse and failure. I wouldn't install a new engine mount without a new trans mount because I wouldn't want my new engine mount carrying the burden of a half or more worn trans mount.

J Peterman

Go Kart Champion
BFI S1 mounts and the matching durometer Powerflex Yellow 70A Insert have been working great for me with minimal NVH. I would only choose to swap to the hybrid puck if the insert fails, which could happen with power upgrades.

gbar

Ready to race!
I ran with BFI dogbone and engine mount for about 5k miles before installing my BFI trans mount. This 100% increased the wear on my OEM trans mount and I would not recommend doing this for a long time without plans to replace the trans mount.

Apologies to who made the comment, but someone once described the mounts as a triangular system of force. When 2 mounting points are upgraded, the 3rd mount will become the outlet for energy to escape. Replacing engine and trans mount at the same time is the way to go.

Also just my .02, but I suspect replacing the OEM mount with a trans insert is not as effective as replacing with a full trans mount replacement.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Theres no reason not to do the hybrid insert. It's fantastic and has no downsides... Been 5k miles now and no regrets.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
So it sounds like the current sweet spot is BFI Stage 1 mounts with the Powerflex Hybrid lower trans bushing?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
So it sounds like the current sweet spot is BFI Stage 1 mounts with the Powerflex Hybrid lower trans bushing?
A lot of those on the forums that are running that setup recommend it. Debating if I want to rip the lower puck out for the hybrid or just run their Insert that fills both lower and upper voids. Pulling the puck, unless you can get it out in one piece, seems kinda permanent. :ROFLMAO: