GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What’s the “2x4 method” and do I need it?

ajmanmk7

I’m getting ready to install B14 coilovers in my Mk7 and in checking out posts on it, I keep hearing about the “2x4 method”. What is that? It sounds like it’s a way to get the shock all the way out of the wheel bearing housing, but how do you set it up?

I do have that spreader tool that I used when I replaced the coilovers on my Mk5 years ago, and it worked well (with a little coaxing) at that time. So does the Mk7 need the 2x4 method in addition to using the spreader tool?

thanx in advance...!

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
I just did a spring install yesterday. 2x4 helped a lot to get that last inch of the strut out of the knuckle.

ajmanmk7

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Here's the tool I made. Works great.

Attachments

• 20200412_173504.jpg
    20200412_173504.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 253
  • 20200412_173513.jpg
    20200412_173513.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 201

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
I take out the knuckle. I just don’t feel safe doing the 2x4 method.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I take out the knuckle. I just don’t feel safe doing the 2x4 method.

I take out the knuckle because it's easier. Maybe not the first time as the spindle / cv may require coercing, but applying anti-seize makes it easy thereafter.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
If you don't need to remove the axles and mess with that whole assembly, why would you? The less you remove the better.

With that said, do what you want.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
If you don't need to remove the axles and mess with that whole assembly, why would you? The less you remove the better.

With that said, do what you want.

We tried the 2x4 method on my roommate's Alltrack and either we were doing something wrong, or the Alltrack's longer spring/shock combo made it so that it really did not want to come out using the 2x4 method. Unbolting an axle from the transmission takes less than 5 minutes and doesn't involve anything sketchy like trying to jack up a piece of wood bolted to a strut that really does not want to compress.

Navi

Autocross Champion
i've done my suspension so much that I don't even need a 2x4. Once I unbolt the pinch bolt, it drops on it's own lol. So easy. I remember doing the 2x4 method back in the day. Def sketch, but once you get it down, super quick.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
i've done my suspension so much that I don't even need a 2x4. Once I unbolt the pinch bolt, it drops on it's own lol. So easy. I remember doing the 2x4 method back in the day. Def sketch, but once you get it down, super quick.

Not sure what suspension you're using, but I found that the coilovers slid in and out of the knuckles way easier than the stock struts. Plus all the aftermarket stuff is shorter anyways so you don't need a 2x4 once you're off the stock suspension.