GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

WFox's Autocross Journal

WFox93

Passed Driver's Ed
wow, I thought I posted at least once last year. I guess not lol Lets see, changes made last year were the clutch, tune, I think I did a front mount intercooler last year and ran koni yellows with H&R OE Sport springs. Was a good time but definitely chose the wrong tires (falken FK510). Last year was more of the first year pretty much. This year I swapped to Porsche Macan brakes and finally bit the bullet on another set of wheels for some 200tw tires, grabbed the Falken RT660s. done a test and tune and just did my second points event today. I feel like I'm finally becoming a better driver, now that the car is set-up well, I know what's working for the suspension and some decent tires. Today I found myself being able to critique myself mid-run and make meaningful changes for the next run. I even managed to give some good advice to a couple new guys, one in another MK7 and another in a MK6 TDI Sportwagon. They managed to shave some decent time off with my advice.

I'm really surprised with just how much of a difference the tires make. I swear I spent the last two years boxing with the car instead of driving it. This year on these tires even in the rain, it feels more like I'm working with the car. It turns in eagerly and is predictable throughout. I can tell what it wants and have even been able to adjust my line mid corners.

Here are a few videos from today's event. one of them I really messed up and turned it into a fun run but with new rules, I'm back in STH. Spent the last couple events duking it out by a couple 10ths with a Subaru WRX.

First Run
Fastest Run
Fun Run

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Jealous of your wide open spaces.

Surprised you didn't like the Fk510's. Granted they're 360tw and can't compare to 200, but I've been autocrossing and dailying them them and they've done decently. But can't wait to get some 200tw tires on. Seems like your car is a lot more composed with them and you can accelerate and turn at the same time whereas before it just made noise and understeered.

WFox93

Passed Driver's Ed
The Fk510s were great on the road, they just couldn't cope with what I wanted them to do in AutoX. All of the videos from the early bit of this thread were on Continental DWS06s and before I knew anything about throttle control. So its not so much that I disliked the fk510s but more so that I like the RT660s so much more but they really are two different tires meant for two different purposes. I've also spent a lot of time working on throttle and steering technique both on course and on the road when I can. Spent some time in my buddy's NB Miata too which was pretty eye opening.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I'm really surprised with just how much of a difference the tires make. I swear I spent the last two years boxing with the car instead of driving it. This year on these tires even in the rain, it feels more like I'm working with the car. It turns in eagerly and is predictable throughout. I can tell what it wants and have even been able to adjust my line mid corners.
General experience in the autox community says that a proper 200tw tire is worth ~2-3 seconds over a 300tw tire on a 60sec course, all else equal. They make a huuuge difference. The proper 200tw tires are great, but they can also hide a lot of bad tendencies behind a wall of grip (general statement - not implying anything about your driving / experience here)

sackofcheese

I need to come out to a STL region event. I first started autocrossing at Family Arena back in 2014 since that’s where my parents live. Those FA courses look like so much fun in an STH car, not so much in an STR NA Miata.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
wow, I thought I posted at least once last year. I guess not lol Lets see, changes made last year were the clutch, tune, I think I did a front mount intercooler last year and ran koni yellows with H&R OE Sport springs. Was a good time but definitely chose the wrong tires (falken FK510). Last year was more of the first year pretty much. This year I swapped to Porsche Macan brakes and finally bit the bullet on another set of wheels for some 200tw tires, grabbed the Falken RT660s. done a test and tune and just did my second points event today. I feel like I'm finally becoming a better driver, now that the car is set-up well, I know what's working for the suspension and some decent tires. Today I found myself being able to critique myself mid-run and make meaningful changes for the next run. I even managed to give some good advice to a couple new guys, one in another MK7 and another in a MK6 TDI Sportwagon. They managed to shave some decent time off with my advice.

Here are a few videos from today's event. one of them I really messed up and turned it into a fun run but with new rules, I'm back in STH. Spent the last couple events duking it out by a couple 10ths with a Subaru WRX.

First Run
Fastest Run
Fun Run

I’m planning on attending the Mid West Divisional 26-27 June In St. Louis. Is this the lot for that event?

WFox93

Passed Driver's Ed
Well today's event could have certainly gone better. I retired after only 3 out of 5 or 6 runs. Hast some nasty suspension noises happening. There was a large hump in the course where I think I was bottoming out. My alignment is all out of whack now but there doesn't seem to be any damage and I wasn't able to replicate the knocking/clunking noises I was hearing on my drive home or in the driveway.

Here are my two runs that I recorded. the third actually ended up being my fastest about 6 tenths faster than the very first run which I forgot to record.

Here's where I think contact was being made today. Nothing else looks too crazy. Bushings appear to be intact, no play in the wheel and no vibrations while driving.
1623622065262.png

WFox93

Passed Driver's Ed
Got my car on the alignment rack at SPS Performance Garage today. Confirmed that everything looks healthy but the front right was out a bit. Went ahead and got everything squared back up and and all is right in the world.

1623953771401.png

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm jealous of that lot!

If you're getting serious about this (it sounds like you are) get a second set of rims and 200 treadwear autocross tires before spending a penny on anything else. Seat-time (#1) and tires (#2) will do more for your times at this stage than anything else. OK, I suppose being able to see out of your helmet is kind of important too ;)

This^

Since you're already in STH, time for 17 or 18 x 9 wheels and 200tw tires in 255 width.

Should be next mod.

You can keep the car pretty streetable and still be fast. Your spring choice is fine, but go with Koni Sports instead. When you do the suspension, do camber plates. I have the Eurosports, they don't add any noise or vibration.

Add a big RSB and Moog end links. They come dry, so you need a grease gun.

Get an OBD11 and disable TC.

When you're ready for more power, get a tune.

That will give you a fast and fun car that can be a winner at the local level.

WFox93

Passed Driver's Ed
This^

Since you're already in STH, time for 17 or 18 x 9 wheels and 200tw tires in 255 width.

Should be next mod.

You can keep the car pretty streetable and still be fast. Your spring choice is fine, but go with Koni Sports instead. When you do the suspension, do camber plates. I have the Eurosports, they don't add any noise or vibration.

Add a big RSB and Moog end links. They come dry, so you need a grease gun.

Get an OBD11 and disable TC.

When you're ready for more power, get a tune.

That will give you a fast and fun car that can be a winner at the local level.

uhh, I think one of us missed something. The car is basically as built as its getting, complete with an extra set of wheels and Falken RT660s, Koni Sports, Eibach rear bar and moog endlinks. Its also on a customer street tune from Panda Motorworks. I decided against camber plates at the time though if I have to pull the suspension down again I will be seriously considering them. And the car is a winner for sure. Even bowing out early at the last event I took second in STH by only a couple 10ths.

Did you ever find the source of the noise you mentioned earlier?
Source of the noise is being chalked up to suspension bottoming out. There were some contact marks on the spring coils but no sign of any actual damage anywhere. The shop I took it to is the sponsor for the local events and the guy that works on the car is the owner and competes locally and nationally. He's familiar with my car and several other MK7s, as well as the condition of the lot we run in so I trust him when he says nothing is wrong. Also, since the alignment its been perfectly fine. no weird shakes or vibrations, no extra popping or anything.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
uhh, I think one of us missed something. The car is basically as built as its getting, complete with an extra set of wheels and Falken RT660s, Koni Sports, Eibach rear bar and moog endlinks. Its also on a customer street tune from Panda Motorworks. I decided against camber plates at the time though if I have to pull the suspension down again I will be seriously considering them. And the car is a winner for sure. Even bowing out early at the last event I took second in STH by only a couple 10ths.

Source of the noise is being chalked up to suspension bottoming out. There were some contact marks on the spring coils but no sign of any actual damage anywhere. The shop I took it to is the sponsor for the local events and the guy that works on the car is the owner and competes locally and nationally. He's familiar with my car and several other MK7s, as well as the condition of the lot we run in so I trust him when he says nothing is wrong. Also, since the alignment its been perfectly fine. no weird shakes or vibrations, no extra popping or anything.

Sorry, I thought you were still on your initial setup. My bad.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R

What springs are you running? Swift springs often have a smaller block height than others for same length and weight. Might be worth looking into if you're getting coilbind before getting into your bump stop.