GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wet spark plug threads

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Replaced spark plugs (OEM) at 40k. Car is stage 1 (APR). Threads were all pretty dark, but cylinder 2 was noticeably wet with dark fluid. Didn't smell like gas so I'm assuming oil.

Photo of 1 on left, 2 on right below.

PXL_20220103_222317771.jpg

Don't have a boroscope (might have to go pick one up now) but you can see the seat is noticeably wet here.

PXL_20220103_214215962.jpg

I did have a few "oil screen" incidents while autocrossing (tight right turns after braking).

Probably going to bring it in to the shop, but what should I be looking for here? Rings? Valve guides?

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I’ve had the same thing in Cyl 1.
9D658FA1-E0DC-40E1-BFEC-FDE626BD2ABE.jpeg

From what I’ve read it’s likely the valve cover gasket, which isn’t actually a gasket but an RPV sealant that has had some known issues. I am literally just praying it doesn’t get worse and will sell the car if it does because it is an expensive repair.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
How's the valve cover gasket looking?
Not sure where I can get good visibility on that. On the plus side, my engine is still under warranty (or at least APR Plus if they reject that, although I can't see how a tune would affect valve cover gasket?) for 4 more months so we'll see what they say...

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Swung by the dealer this morning. Was told some dampness is "normal". Bullshit.

Going to try another dealer and see what they say...

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I have the same issue on my MK7 R, 102k miles. Cylinder 4 was pretty bad.

Just asked a shop for a quote to get it resealed (btw it is called a 'girdle' not a valve cover) - expecting it to be kind of up there.

May take a stab at DIYing it, someone else on the forums just did it but it's not a 'proper' write up:

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...out-removing-lower-timing-cover.364451/page-2
Way beyond my level of comfort - let us know what the feedback on the rate is.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I think book is 8 hours? So about $1k give or take.
Not terrible... I'll pull my plug as soon as temps get above zero to see how bad of a shape its in - been there for about 3-4 months - I should make it till spring time

lazy_jameson

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
16 R DSG
Way beyond my level of comfort - let us know what the feedback on the rate is.
I actually have done a few valve covers on a few BMWs so I feel like I should be able to take care of this, even if I give myself a few days and work slowly.
However, i'm now getting to the point in my life where I value my free time more than money (within reason) lol.

I unfortunately got a quote for almost $1500 ($1200 in just labor!) which is way more than I'd want to spend. If it was $1000 parts+labor I would probably get it done. Going to get a few more quotes from some shops but if it's all avg $1500 i'll probably DIY it and document it for those interested.

1641323985191.png

• Wow
Reactions: krs