GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Went Stage 2 with EQT, not performing as expected. Logs included.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
After much debate I finally pulled the trigger and went Stage 2 on EQT. Upon driving for the first time (after all warmed up) it wasn't what I expected. The car pulled harder in first through 3rd but then kinda fell flat at the end of 3rd onward, 4th through 6th felt almost like stock. I never got that "holy shit" feeling I was expecting though. I took some logs and it revealed a considerable amount of knock, but I failed to record IAT and a few other things. Long story short, today I took a good clean log and the car felt strong.

Currently I am running a downpipe, still stock plugs and intercooler. New plugs on the way (Denso IKH24). Idle is a bit rough although that was happening before the tune as well. My thoughts are IATs get too high rather quickly from heat soak, and the shitty plugs arent helping.

https://datazap.me/u/supermoto/eqt-stage-2-3rd-gear-25k-redline?log=0&data=8-15-20

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Yeah... no more WOT pull till you resolve this, the timing and KR is bad. Yes the iat delta are bad and they just keep
Rising but your ambients are low enough to where the heat levels would not be the main contributor to such bad knock.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Yeah... no more WOT pull till you resolve this, the timing and KR is bad. Yes the iat delta are bad and they just keep
Rising but your ambients are low enough to where the heat levels would not be the main contributor to such bad knock.
I have about 20k on the plugs and don't know how many miles were put on them before I purchased the car, so the plugs will be the first change. After the plugs I'll post logs and see whats up, but im hoping it solves most of the issue. I know an IC is pretty much required for stage 2, but if I can hold of for a bit to let my wallet recover it would be nice :LOL:

Grey Ghost

Ready to race!
If you went EQT stage 2 and didn’t change plugs to 1-2 step colder that is the first place to start and keep off WOT until that. Idle should be smooth on EQT; I was Uni S2 for 14 months and switched to EQT in April, idle has been considerably smoother on EQT v Uni.

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
my idle was super smooth on EQT tune. For sure get a set of plugs at least one heat range colder than stock, I recommend the NGK iridiums that EQT uses for their shop cars. having terrible plugs will cause all sorts of issues. no more WOT runs until you get some good plugs in there.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
Sorry to budge in on his thread, but the recommendation to switch plugs is only for going EQT Stage 2? Any need to change it for Stage 1?

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I'm still using regular denso IKH24 plugs gapped to (iirc) .024 with EQT E30 stage 2 - I had already bought them right before going to Uni 93 stage 2 around 6000 miles ago. Used the same version all through a year plus of Stage 1. All seems well.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
I'm still using regular denso IKH24 plugs gapped to (iirc) .024 with EQT E30 stage 2 - I had already bought them right before going to Uni 93 stage 2 around 6000 miles ago. Used the same version all through a year plus of Stage 1. All seems well.

Those are not just regular plugs. They are a heat range cooler and people run them on high hp applications all over the tuning world.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
I have about 20k on the plugs and don't know how many miles were put on them before I purchased the car, so the plugs will be the first change. After the plugs I'll post logs and see whats up, but im hoping it solves most of the issue. I know an IC is pretty much required for stage 2, but if I can hold of for a bit to let my wallet recover it would be nice :LOL:
Ouch ya, can't go stage 2 without looking over all your maintenance items. That could be bad news. If the plugs are old and unknown, they are probably not gapped correctly either so could easily be the source of your problems.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Those are not just regular plugs. They are a heat range cooler and people run them on high hp applications all over the tuning world.
was just about to say this... 1 step colder.

is to be mentioned though there are a few guys over 400HP using the ruthenium's and those are stock heat range, and they report no probs.

anyone know other options for 2 ranges colder that arent 150 for the set of 4?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
5* at 5800 is aggressive? I know it's different fuel, but my friend's EQT "stage 2" e30 OTS hits 14.5* up top
when comparing a e30 ots log and 91 ots log from Ed he only looks to adjust the boost request .5 to .7psi throughout, so really all the gain is in the much higher timing requests, but yeah to me 5* seems pretty "normal" as a request on 91. granted I'm hybrid, but on my sneeky starting map (91) he's got me setup requesting 5.5 by 5500, and 10/11 by 6500.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion

Right. But they're very common and not crazy expensive was my point.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
@Supermoto Yes, the 3rd gear reflected the retard as your IAT increased and when on to 4th, your IAT flooded the retard. AFR was fine. Ambient was 61* and at 4th your IAT was already surpassing 100* and you weren't ever able to achieve the target torque. The cooling system just cannot keep up with the demand. Most definitely at least a +1 plug set & IC......