GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Well, I got rear-ended.

Dredknut

DSG Fart Fanatic
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Coming to work today, I was stopped at a school cross walk. A crossing guard is standing in the road with her stop sign in the air, probably a dozen kids are crossing the road. All of a sudden, BAM! and my car jumps forward. It scares the SHIT out of me because there are kids maybe 15 ft in front of my car and I TOTALLY didn't see it coming. I look in my rearview and see this like 98 Ford Taurus behind me and I am like FML...

I pull over and this car pulls in behind me. I get out and this girl gets out of the car, and she is hysterical. She has to be maaaaaybe 19 TOPS, fairly pretty, dressed like she is going to a job interview or something. She is apologizing profusely, makeup running and all that stuff. I am just friggin overwhelmed at this point, still trying to figure out wtf is going on.

There is no visible damage to my rear bumper, yet her front bumper is cracked to shit. My car is covered in snow, sand and salt from the roads but from what I can tell there is NOTHING to show that I was in an accident?! I couldn't believe it!

Anyways, long story short I have her insurance info and whatnot, I am getting the bumper looked at on Wed. this week. I am giving her the chance to cover any repairs without insurance, its up to her how she wants to go.

If we do go through insurance, will they likely just cut me a cheque? Or will they deal with the shop that does the repairs directly? I am hoping I just get a cheque, which means I can get some lower painted or put it towards a votex kit.

maxgtiturbo

Banned
i dont know how it work in canada, but when some one backed into me in a parking lot, her insurance company just wrote me a check to get it fixed where ever i wanted. or do what ever i wanted with it.

Mariach

FIA F1 World Champ..to be
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI DSG
totally depends on your insurance company. Some will just pay the bill , others will get an appraisal and cut you a cheque

GodSquadMandrake

Radioactive Rotary Rocket
Well if she can't pay for it she can work it off.

Joe Dwarf

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 VW R32
If we do go through insurance, will they likely just cut me a cheque? Or will they deal with the shop that does the repairs directly?
With SGI they just deal with the shop directly, which is actually better if you want it fixed right, because a good shop will go back to SGI and say "we found this was also broken" or "we need more time, extend this guy's rental car". This would be especially important with something like a bumper because cosmetically it might be minor but internally it might be damaged.

Last time, my shop found a problem with interior trim that was a VW warranty issue, and was kind enough to email me pictures while it was still apart. Mind you it was a CYA maneuver on their part but I still appreciated it. Not only that, but the VW dealership sent over a guy to look at it in their shop while it was apart, which was pretty good on both of them.

moniz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
I don't know of any insurance companies in Ontario that would just cut a cheque directly to you for repairable damage. It would be directly to whatever shop you want to deal with.

P.S. This is why I ALWAYS check my rearview constantly when at a stop, and try to leave myself and escape route, because of these idiots that don't look ahead and anticipate.

Mariach

FIA F1 World Champ..to be
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI DSG
Phil, getting desperate? hahaha I can send you the number of my 'sure thing'?

YEa I am pretty sure your insurance company will just deal with the body shop. FYI, Don valley VW does really good body work, BMW Autohaus deals with them, and they worked on my mom's X5 both times she was rear ended...

Speaking of, anyone looking for a 2008 X5 w/ 17,000kms on it?? Twice slightly rear ended. Or a 2007 530iM, 45,00kms on it?