GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

weird windscreen phenomenon

z-gtd

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums, and a new owner of a GTD 7.5; Love it so far!

I have an issue with my windscreen where I have tried many things to fix it, but nothing is working.

So far I've:
a) cleaned it with mr muscle (deep grease cleaner)
b) white vinegar
c) rainX
d) autoglym glass polish

and this weird section of the windscreen remains blurry.

In recent bad weather it has been difficult to see out the windscreen, and I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to fix this.

Cheers

Zack

PS the rear windscreen has is awful in its own way, spots everywhere and nothing seems to be clearing it.

Attachments

• IMG_8737.JPG
    IMG_8737.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 325
  • IMG_9815.JPG
    IMG_9815.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 225
  • IMG_7287.JPG
    IMG_7287.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 207
  • IMG_1163.JPG
    IMG_1163.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 254

akimmel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI AB 6MT
looks like there is some sort of glass sealant that has started to wear off in sections, causing some spots to bead and others the water just kind of flattens out. Either that or there are some contaminants stuck to the glass in those blurry spots, like water spots. Best thing to do would be polish the entire surface. Regular compound works for me and is safe for the glass. I'd probably invest in a DA to take care of it, I did all my side windows by hand to get rid of the water spots and it sucked but it was doable. windshield is a whole other story.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Thanks, I might just pull out the machine polisher and give it a go all round...

Cheers
Be mindful though that if you have any sort of pitting or small stone chips on the windscreen you will end up with compound in them, you’d then have to clean this out or have small white spots all over the glass! I’d try scrubbing it with a citrus all purpose cleaner first off.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Got the same....I had to re-do polish mine again after it was outside overnight for the first time in years!.....I use Car-pro ceri-glass ceranium oxide glass cutting liquid...only way to get the glass smooth & solves many problems…& then clean with meths & then fairy liquid warm water on a MF cloth, then just warm water on MF cloth..& buff...

z-gtd

Thanks guys! I’ll give it a go tomorrow.

To summarise what you have said above. I will clean the windscreen with a citrus based/powerful cleaner, then fairy liquid and a MF cloth. I will then evaluate the situation and if needed Will machine polish the stuff out.

I’ll let you know how I get on,

cheers

JD-1

Ready to race!
I had the same problem for over a year. It slowly went away. Very annoying to say the least.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
The pro detailers at all the auto shows use steel wool and glass cleaner.

z-gtd

So I’ve cleaned the windscreen with every household degreaser I could find in Sainsbury’s, got a bit p’eed off and used a bit of diluted bleach... and the windscreen is spanking clean apart from that portion again. Now it’s turned into a rainbow coloured sort of patch...
Do you reckon I need to use the DA on it?

Attachments

• D8706542-79A6-459A-A44C-ADC302965A42.jpeg
    D8706542-79A6-459A-A44C-ADC302965A42.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 175
  • E4A28102-8F8E-4C10-8C3B-5CDC9E239DB7.jpeg
    E4A28102-8F8E-4C10-8C3B-5CDC9E239DB7.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 188

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
So I’ve cleaned the windscreen with every household degreaser I could find in Sainsbury’s, got a bit p’eed off and used a bit of diluted bleach... and the windscreen is spanking clean apart from that portion again. Now it’s turned into a rainbow coloured sort of patch...
Have you tried a clay bar? If not try diluted isopropyl alcohol mixed with water and a clay bar. You'll need to find a happy medium since it can and will break down the clay bar if too much alcohol

z-gtd

Have you tried a clay bar? If not try diluted isopropyl alcohol mixed with water and a clay bar. You'll need to find a happy medium since it can and will break down the clay bar if too much alcohol

Yes ive tried using clay bar with soapy warm water, and it did practically nothing... I will try the DA tomorrow, and if that doesn't work I'll probably ring VW and ask them to sort it out under warranty (because the car was delivered to me like that)

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
When I referred to a citrus based all purpose cleaner I wasn’t talking about anything you can buy in Sainsbury’s, I meant a detailing product that is citrus based, not a product that is a cleaner that smells of citrus,
Use this mixed in a pump spray at 100ml product to 900ml of water and agitate with a new hogs hair detailing brush then rinse,
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/352698492009

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Just a thought! After looking at your pictures could it be something that is on the wiper blade??

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Got the same....I had to re-do polish mine again after it was outside overnight for the first time in years!.....I use Car-pro ceri-glass ceranium oxide glass cutting liquid...only way to get the glass smooth & solves many problems…& then clean with meths & then fairy liquid warm water on a MF cloth, then just warm water on MF cloth..& buff...
Would this help with pitting? I live in a desert, my windshield is pitted all over.